The Midfield.

Status
Not open for further replies.
the midfield has been broken for a long time, multiple managers have seemingly been unable to find a way for us to have any semblance of a presence there. I briefly thought when dyche came in he had done that but that is looking like a fluke as it's in horrendous shape right now. Whoever plays in the 6 is constantly isolated and outnumbered as the 2 other midfielders chase the ball. Go look at the offside goal yesterday, both gana and douc were up by the halfway line whilst onana was just in front of the back 4, arsenals entire midfield was between the lines.

We don't really have many options in CM which is also a problem but till we do we need 2 players to sit and not chase the ball, probably Onana and Garner, who break down the play, keep it simple and retain the ball. Then someone more creative in front of them (not doucoure ffs!).

Can't pass, can't press and can't tackle.

What's the point of them anyways, because anytime on of them gets the ball it goes back to Tarkowski or Pickford to hoof the ball either over the lone striker, or to his head with no-one within 20 years of him.

If Dyche is going to continue on that path, he would be better just employing Gana and Onana as holding midfielders to do nothing but mop up - and pass the ball back to go forward to two strikers.

Awful football, but the set up with 3 midfielders who cannot get a game by the scruff of the neck is absolutely awful.

Onana is an enigma for me. It just feels like he could/should be offering so much more. In the Arsenal game last season there was a moment when he drove forward with the ball from the half way line and put in a great cross that Calvert-Lewin (I think) couldn’t quite get on the end of. The think this sticks out in my mind because I’m not sure I’ve seen him do it since then.
I can’t decide if it’s down to poor management or his confidence/ belief about what he is capable of doing. For me he should be playing as a 6, winning the ball back and driving forward with it when he has the space. He played there yesterday and the game just seemed to pass him by.
There was that run he made to put a tackle/block in, in the latter part of the second half. But that’s it!! He gives off the impression that he’s done his bit for the day.
The game passes Onana by too many times. What’s worse is that when he’s played in the holding roll, we have to suffer watching Gana labour around higher up the pitch.

Cant really afford to drop Doucoure given he's the only goal threat in the side outside of a centre forward
Think we need to have as much creativity and goal threat on the pitch as possible. I think that means that danjuma, McNeil and Harrison when back need to play. Personally think McNeil would be best suited to being behind the striker, with danjuma left and Harrison right.

All 3 of midfields have been crap, but think docoure been the best out the 3 overall, even though he does the hard part but then messes up the east part.

The midfield needs changes, even if it’s garner coming in giving the others different roles. I was made up when I saw onana deeper and sitting yesterday, that’s his position but he just looks not interested and was sloppy.

Cant really afford to drop Doucoure given he's the only goal threat in the side outside of a centre forward

Yep, as horrible as it trying to watch him pass a ball. He plays in space well, gets into the box and gives us energy.

I'd like to see Garner come into the midfield, if anything just to rule out whether or not he's a better option.

So one of Gueye or Onana needs dropping. My heart tells me drop Gueye, let Onana do his thing and we'll start to see better use of the ball and see his potential come to fruition. My head tells me that for as much as I can't bear watching Gueye try and use the ball, we'll find out the hard way why we shouldn't drop him if we do.

See
What formation is this even meant to be? Could probably do this in a 4-2-3-1 but the midfield would still get torn apart by any half decent side.
Also a fit and happy Dele seems an absolute impossibility at the moment which leaves Doucs as the only sort-of number 10.
This formation has Onana in the number 6 holding mid position.
Garner in centre mid, number 8
Dele as a number 10, linking midfield and attack. Harrison and McNeill providing width and balls in the box.

This formation gives us an opportunity to play football and hold onto the ball and has players (Garner, Dele, McNeil & Harrison) who can pick a pass and create chances.
I don't expect Dyche to ever play this team but a different manager might see our squad differently

He's a goal threat kind of like our sweet Prince Oumar was a goal threat - he has a knack for finding himself in the right positions to bundle them in over the line (aside from the Bournemouth goal Doucs, thanks for that)

Aside from his goals, Doucs is a dreadful player in the build up whenever we have a shred of possession.

Problem is, I'm not sure we actually have any ball playing midfielders in the squad - what a crazy statement that is. Garner, I guess, is a semi competent midfielder. But who else?

Was banging the drum all summer that I was happy with our midfield but it just is not working. Whether that's the manager, the players just not complimenting each other or both I don't know.

For me im happy with having Onana and Garner.

The next question is do you use both in a double pivot or Onana as anchor and Garner + 1 ahead of him in a 4141.

That should be the foundation but instead Dyche doesnt seem to want to use Garner.

What big chances? We are 5 games in, haven’t won a game, haven’t scored at home and the games where we did have chances I wouldn’t say he’s been brilliant or stood out from the rest of the midfield, he’s happy to pass it sideways and slows the game down a lot.

I suggest you watch Onana in the Sheff Utd and Fulham games. If you think he doesnt pass forwards then after those you'll soon realise your mistake.

The next question is do you use both in a double pivot or Onana as anchor and Garner + 1 ahead of him in a 4141.

That should be the foundation but instead Dyche doesnt seem to want to use Garner.

I suggest you watch Onana in the Sheff Utd and Fulham games. If you think he doesnt pass forwards then after those you'll soon realise your mistake.
I feel like everybody, but probably mainly you, has put Garner on a pedestal and declared him this totally amazing player that will save us.

And whilst he does indeed look like a decent player, I really dont think hes going to vastly change things.

Gana - Finished, but can still get around the pitch
Onana - Terrible 1 game, ok the next, never more
Doucs - Antifootball crapper

We need a whole new midfield and 2 new fullbacks and defo a new manager.

We wont be getting any of them in the next few months.

So for now we just need to make sure Doucs never plays again.

I feel like everybody, but probably mainly you, has put Garner on a pedestal and declared him this totally amazing player that will save us.

And whilst he does indeed look like a decent player, I really dont think hes going to vastly change things.

Gana - Finished, but can still get around the pitch
Onana - Terrible 1 game, ok the next, never more
Doucs - Antifootball crapper

We need a whole new midfield and 2 new fullbacks and defo a new manager.

We wont be getting any of them in the next few months.

So for now we just need to make sure Doucs never plays again.

I like Garner as a good all rounder. Said that while he was at Forest. He's just a solid all rounder with a bit of bite.

Lets call him a 6/10 player which is actually a good starting point as a 22 year old midfielder for us.

The midfield needs to be setup with him and Onana the focus.

Instead it appears to me that the priority players are Gana and Doucoure who have experience and play every single game.

Both need replacing...hopefully Gnonto or someone signs in Jan and takes Doucoures place + Dyche finally plays Garner centrally.

Literally just rolled my eyes, I watch him enough every other week, 2 games out of 5 you mention one of those we still lost. The inconsistency says it all.

Lads Brighton had Pascal Gross, Adan LLalana and free transfer Dahoud in midfield against Utd and passed them off the park. We obviously dont train to pass out from the back, to beat the press and work openings. Our midfield look terrible but they are on a hiding to nothing. They look like strangers out there and have no idea what they are supposed to do in any given situation. We had no plan to attack Arsenal. Everything revolved around stopping them scoring and hoping to maybe nick one from a set piece.

Status
Not open for further replies.