2023/24 Sean Dyche

A lot of unnecessary criticism of Dyche in here.

A manager’s job is to set his team up to create more clear cut chances than the opposition, thus giving the team a better chance of winning the game.

He has done that in 3 of the 4 league games so far.

Had the board sanctioned Beto before the opening game, I’m convinced we’d have won both home games, and probably beaten Sheff Utd too as he’d have had more time to integrate.

Dyche is doing a very good job in difficult circumstances and we should be backing him, not slating him. Besides, who would even take the job, let alone do better with this squad?

Back the manager. We’ll be fine this season.
Points on the board… that is the managers job.

If his hoofball style was effective it would be accepted. It’s not and we have been the better team once this season. Wolves and Sheffield were both good value for their points.

He has been relegated twice.
Yeah, and by expectation should have been relegated a whole lot more - not qualified for Europe is what I’m saying.

I’d love the club to be in a position where we don’t have to rely on the likes of Dyche and we have a team that can play slick creative football and sign quality players. But unfortunately we’re just not :/

For a manager so defined by being defensively minded , our defensive structure has been lax and very chaotic. Yes the players are flawed but dyche worked with worse players and at least made them solid. We're committing basic missteps like not closing players down to avert a precise cross, and I have no notion if the defensive strategy in the box is zonal or man to man marking as its so improperly coordinated. Even mediocre players can be drilled to implement a more rigid defense. Also he has three midfielders and we barely assert any control in the center of the pitch and we leave gaps between the defense and the midfielders. For a highly experienced manager this is inexcusable and those facets are supposed to be his forte

Points on the board… that is the managers job.

If his hoofball style was effective it would be accepted. It’s not and we have been the better team once this season. Wolves and Sheffield were both good value for their points.
This bothers me. What hoofball? We’ve played most of the last 12 months with Maupay and Gray up front. The style is awful. There isn’t one. But if we had got the stereotypical 442 hoofball Dyche we were all worried about, provided we had 2 sluggers to stick up front, we would probably have been better off in terms of points per game. We got a slight variation on Lampards shape because our CMs have never played in a 2, he said himself that this week. Hoofball to me implies solid at the back and just pound it forward. We have been anything but solid and almost every goal has been because we had an exposed defence either on transition (all the sodding time), overcommitting (Patterson and Garner just emptying our right side), or watching midfielders just walk into our box (Gana and Onana every minute of every game since the start of last season).

But, whatever weird anti style he has tried to input over summer, it’s created far far far more genuine on the ground chances and even nailed on sitters than we’ve had for years. Could easily argue his “style” has led to shedloads of chances in the box, not just headers from deep free kicks launched into the box and from corners. But it’s genuinely not his fault Patterson (who he didn’t recruit) can’t side foot into an empty net, or Doucoure (who he didn’t recruit) hasn’t the awareness to roll the ball 3 feet to his right for a tap in instead of shooting at a keeper that is already on top of him
Etc etc.

I can’t defend him. I’d sack him if we lose the next 2. I was disappointed we only limped over the line last year as that squad was better than he extracted (still crap but we should have been safe earlier). He annoys the hell out of me in interviews, and whilst the BBC bloke asks pathetic questions and sounds half asleep, Dyche’s contempt for him needs reigning in, it’s unprofessional; just humour him.

But if we are going to criticise him, let’s pick on the multitude of errors he makes and not just criticise the stereotype he hasn’t even implemented.

Dyche = Poor man's Pulis. Basically stack the team with big tall strong players and hope to out muscle the opposition. Sadly, the Prem. has moved well beyond those days. Dyche is fine for us at the moment. But don't expect miraces because a) we have a really crap squad b) we have even worse owners c) we've been dicing with relegation for two + seasons d) all of the above.

Yeah, and by expectation should have been relegated a whole lot more - not qualified for Europe is what I’m saying.

I’d love the club to be in a position where we don’t have to rely on the likes of Dyche and we have a team that can play slick creative football and sign quality players. But unfortunately we’re just not :/
So you're saying that Dyche is a good manager because he should have got relegated more but didn't? 🤨

It is odd that the general consensus has been that Dyche has been let down by the Board given he has barely had the use of a striker since he arrived. Now he has one, scored in the cup and had a good PL debut today, but the hordes are now calling for Dyche’s head. Surely he deserves an opportunity to show what can be done with an actual striker?
He has to do something about the acres of space we're leaving opposing players in and around the box. A better team than Sheffield shells us. We saw that away to Villa. It took a minor miracle from Pickford to rescue a point today.

We won't stay up playing for 3-2 and 4-3 slugfest wins. We just don't have the firepower. Conceding clean looks at the top of the 18 yard box will relegate us. The attack may sort itself out now that we have some pieces, and getting healthy up top will help, but we have to sort out the problems in our own third.

So you're saying that Dyche is a good manager because he should have got relegated more but didn't? 🤨
Short answer - Yes. His teams were favourites for relegation most if not every season.
I can’t judge him on league titles or champions leagues because he’s managed sides that could not achieve those things. He achieved more than he should have right? There are numerous barometers of success.