2022/23 Neal Maupay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ferguson looks a great prospect.

As for Maupay, I tell you what he wasnt at Brighton or Brentford, a 1 in 33 striker or whatever he is here. Probably wouldnt be anywhere else either so we are doing something wrong which begs the question as to why we would sign him anyway to fill a role that he is obviously not suited to.
Yep

One of the most ineffective forwards ever to wear that beautiful royal blue jersey.
We've had a fair few after years of being spoilt. Tony Cottee was massively frowned upon but scored more than 1 in 3 if I recall. Jon Spencer,Mo Jonson Brett Angell are the ones that spring to mind to compare to Maupay. But by christ some of the football we've played over the last 2 seasons nobody would score in our squad. Having said that I think at the end of last season we started to create and I think a couple of additions and we will be safe. It's glaringly obvious and has been posted 1000 times. I'd take ihanacho if possible. All we did was give the ball away up top and then have to defend relentlessly. I think the midfield just gave up at times. There was no point passing forward.Can't really blame them

I love the change in direction to have a dig at Villa when you realise you are wrong about Championship club's signing Maupay :)
I just wonder what qualities we looked for. We knew Dele Ali had issues and DCL was injured so why would we buy this guy? Utter bonkers

I just wonder what qualities we looked for. We knew Dele Ali had issues and DCL was injured so why would we buy this guy? Utter bonkers
It was a strange purchase, not that he is a bad player, but he just isn't the type of player that Everton needed. In a different setup he would score more goals imo. But having Maupay as a lone striker is never going to work. When he was at his best he was playing in a front 3 of BMW (Benrahma, Maupay and Watkins), that is the sort of setup that suits Maupay. When Everton bought Maupay they needed an Iheanacho type player

It was a strange purchase, not that he is a bad player, but he just isn't the type of player that Everton needed. In a different setup he would score more goals imo. But having Maupay as a lone striker is never going to work. When he was at his best he was playing in a front 3 of BMW (Benrahma, Maupay and Watkins), that is the sort of setup that suits Maupay. When Everton bought Maupay they needed an Iheanacho type player
Totally agree. Then we end up with Gray as the lone striker who again is clearly not made for the role and he gets dogs abuse for it too.

In fact is there any striker in world football who can play on his own up front with nobody within 30m of him while players just pump balls in his general direction?

I think we started to look more dangerous and create more under dyche but even then I wouldnt want Maupay near the first team.

Are there any strikers these days outside the top 6 who can create something out of nothing? Were there ever??
Always a very difficult position to fill in a team and that is partly because u need two strikers to be able to work together that suit the manager's style. Get the right pair and they look like world beaters but individually they look bang average. Someone mentioned them on here the other day but I think Nial Quinn and Kevin Phillips are the perfect example of making each other look better. Maupay on his own is rubbish, with the right striker partner(s) and players behind him he looks a good player

Status
Not open for further replies.