Summer transfer window 2023

Eh, I don't know if it's significantly below the Championship. This has the Championship as the 11th best league in the world, with the MLS close behind at 16. We're only just a few years away from Miguel Almiron jumping right from the MLS to Newcastle. In his last season in the MLS, Almiron had 12 goals and 11 assists in 32 matches. Vazquez had 18 and 8 last year, and he did that on a team that was much worse than Almiron's.
Most leagues have good players - Thiago Almada for example looks like a proper baller. What I am taking issue with is people not wanting to take a punt on players from the Championship or France because they believe them to be of a significantly lower standard then the PL, yet seriously advocating players from the MLS.

The Championship and Ligue 1 (as in, France) are clearly miles better than MLS. Close behind according to those rankings, in this case meaning 5 places lower is significant. Don't have a specific issue with signing a good player from any league, I take an issue with people being unsure about a lad doing it in the Championship, but okay with someone from MLS. Seems totally illogical to me.

Most leagues have good players - Thiago Almada for example looks like a proper baller. What I am taking issue with is people not wanting to take a punt on players from the Championship or France because they believe them to be of a significantly lower standard then the PL, yet seriously advocating players from the MLS.

The Championship and Ligue 1 (as in, France) are clearly miles better than MLS. Close behind according to those rankings, in this case meaning 5 places lower is significant. Don't have a specific issue with signing a good player from any league, I take an issue with people being unsure about a lad doing it in the Championship, but okay with someone from MLS. Seems totally illogical to me.

Thiago Almada would be more like it ;)

"He wants to move up. The question is should he go to Sporting, where he can play in Europe, or should he go to a club in the Premier League that will fight for survival like Everton? It's a tough decision for him."

Not really, question is … does he want the lifestyle of living in Lisbon ?

If not then prem is the best choice , more money, better competition and if he does well he will be able to move wherever he wants. Lisbon will always be an option for him. But if he goes there and doesn’t pull up any trees… the prem will not come knocking

Only ever seen it as 20% of the profit tbh. I can't believe we would enter a deal that involves 20% of an actual future sale fee that would be crazy for a club like us. Mind you it could be the reason West Ham pulled out at the end.

I suspect we made a very small down payment and that’s why the clause was included.

Obviously have no proof but paying 33m for a player that hasn’t even played a full season yet … and then adding that clause means we were probably willing to do it as we didn’t have the cash for a big initial payment.

If that is true and we paid 10m initially and sell him and make 24m profit on the fee… it means we more than doubled our money.

Which is good from an investment point of view but still isn’t much to offset the bad signings in the past

Arsenal away again last game straight after two of the newly promoted clubs. We need to have ourselves sorted by the end of April because unless Luton and Sheffield have nothing to play for there might be no last gasp escape this time.

We have a decent frost 10 fixtures… we need all our transfers done before the season starts… can’t afford to waste fixtures because we are still waiting for deadline day to sign whatever cast off striker becomes available on the last day