How good on paper is our back 6 ?

• Top 6

• 7-12th

• 13-17th

• Bottom three

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I reckon the team that was runner up in the prem and CL whilst winning an FA and League Cup last season looks better on paper Zat
Alisson
TAA Van Dijk Konate Robertson
Fabinho
For me, Fabinho has lost it, perhaps VVD also. TAA cant defend and it seems as though Konate has majorly flopped.

One of the big challenges would be maximising the fee for Pickford. We would have to get a suitable replacement for a fraction of the fee and try and spread the remainder over other signings if allowable.
That's if we stay up, of course.

I can't see Pickford leaving if premier league safety is secured.

Next season this England place will come under pressure like never before as Ramsdale and very possibly Nick Pope will both be starting in CL so even Southgate will have a big decision to make.

Why would Pickford go somewhere else where he might make an error or two early on and get dropped? He'd lose his England place as a result then so in a tournament year that's a big gamble.

People need to remember the coach and system are important as well.

I wouldn't take Ethan Pinnock or Pontus Jansson here but they're currently joint 6th in the league.

Actually was going to mention Ben Mee.

There was loads of negativity about Tarks coming in last summer. He struggled a bit mid season in the dark final weeks of Lampard but he was good start of the season and in most games under Dyche.

Reaction would've been ten fold if Ben Mee had also turned up here on a free given he's into his 30s but a very well run club like Brentford thought he'd be a good fit for their system and he's started majority of their games. They've lost five prem games all season.

Surely Gana should be part of the back 6 rather than Onana anyway? Wonder what his role will be next season....if any.

Alisson
TAA Van Dijk Konate Robertson
Fabinho
For me, Fabinho has lost it, perhaps VVD also. TAA cant defend and it seems as though Konate has majorly flopped.
Why does our fanbase always insist on comparing ourselves to Liverpool all the time?

It's embarrassing and the inability to just focus on ourselves is precisely the reason why we've been so crap for so long.

Of course I’d have taken them, but I also wouldn’t have been shocked if they failed to make the step up, as has been seen many times before.

Don’t know why you’re getting so defensive over a throwaway comment on a league in which a number of players have failed to adjust from over the years.

Our current strategy of buying from other prem teams hasn't exactly been flawlesshas it!? We need to be taking chances on player in these less financially profitable leagues because our hit rate is sihte irrespective of the league, but at least in Scotland/Belgium/Holland/France/Portugal (not the big 3 clubs though) we can get 2 or 3 in for the same cost as one from Spain/England and honestly I can't see us getting a worse fit than Muapay (I can hear red Kev accepting this challenge in my head).

I'd personally sell Onana to whoever for as much and as early as possible (don't think we need to sell before financial year end this time because of Gordon sale and reduction in wages from some of the dross we let go in the summer), buy another athletic DM from France/Belgium, that Danish forward kid from Italy and see the rest disappear in the FFP nightmare sinkhole we are in.

Every single one of them would start for us. Same with United.
Tarkowski and Onana start. We would then just need one more player to be at least even with them.

I dont see the gulf between the defensive groups. Offensively yes massive gap...not in the back 6 though.

Actually was going to mention Ben Mee.

There was loads of negativity about Tarks coming in last summer. He struggled a bit mid season in the dark final weeks of Lampard but he was good start of the season and in most games under Dyche.

Reaction would've been ten fold if Ben Mee had also turned up here on a free given he's into his 30s but a very well run club like Brentford thought he'd be a good fit for their system and he's started majority of their games. They've lost five prem games all season.

Surely Gana should be part of the back 6 rather than Onana anyway? Wonder what his role will be next season....if any.
It is about the overall unit, but I did say 'on paper' as we havent seen these players in these roles as a group yet.

There are teams who overall look far superior defensively to us...but thats more likely due to our lack of any attacking threat or ability to defend as a team.

I purposely went for Onana over Gana as its about the team with the best 6 on paper.

Why does our fanbase always insist on comparing ourselves to Liverpool all the time?

It's embarrassing and the inability to just focus on ourselves is precisely the reason why we've been so crap for so long.

I was replying to @EFC_FRANCIS who chose them as a 5th team who may have a superior back 6.

Which is the point of the thread.

Amongst all the recent panic and negativity...I was having a think about our defence next season.

With Branthwaite returning and Pickford signing an extension we could line up with this back 6:

Pickford
Patterson Tarkowski Branthwaite Mykolenko
Onana
I think were really underrating this defensive group.

GIve them games together to build partnerships and this group (on paper) doesnt look worse than 6th best in the league.

How highly would you rate it on paper compared with other clubs' back 5 + keeper?

GK: Pickford

LB: Mykoleno / Godfrey

LCB: Branthwaite

RCB: Tarkowski

RB: Patterson

DM: Onana

I think it is good to think positive about this group, and on paper it is very good.

I am only concerned that coaches tend to think playing 2-3 young players in a back 6 is too risky, and I wish we would take a chance. Good coaching, tactics and team building should make this an excellent back 6, because Pickford & Tarkowski are senior players, and Onana is a leader. If you imagine Godfrey, Coady and Coleman as back ups, that's ok actually. We need 2 younger full backs coming through to either challenge or back up Mykolenko and Patterson.

I can't see Pickford leaving if premier league safety is secured.

Next season this England place will come under pressure like never before as Ramsdale and very possibly Nick Pope will both be starting in CL so even Southgate will have a big decision to make.

Why would Pickford go somewhere else where he might make an error or two early on and get dropped? He'd lose his England place as a result then so in a tournament year that's a big gamble.
I can't see how sufficient funds will be generated for transfers if he stays. Unless Onana leaves. I'd prefer him to stay. This is all pending the outcome to the end of the season and the investigation.

I'd rather Pickford stays also but I think Dyche will want to get a replacement in from Europe or the FL for a fraction of the fee gained and try, hard as it is, to get at least one further signing with the remainder of the money.

If we're comparing our back 6 to higher level teams, you're deluding yourselves if you think Onana and Tarkowski get into any top side. Both are absolutely turgid on the ball.

I can't see how sufficient funds will be generated for transfers if he stays. Unless Onana leaves. I'd prefer him to stay. This is all pending the outcome to the end of the season and the investigation.

I'd rather Pickford stays also but I think Dyche will want to get a replacement in from Europe or the FL for a fraction of the fee gained and try, hard as it is, to get at least one further signing with the remainder of the money.

Onana will go before Pickford imo. Jordan leaves aswell with relegation of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.