2022/23 Sean Dyche

Status
Not open for further replies.
True, but on the face of it you have Dyche performing better with the same said players, if not actually a worse squad when you consider Gordon's departure.

We shouldn't get ahead of ourselves at all, but right now I'd say we're playing our best football perhaps since Carlo left with a drastically reduced squad.

The Fat One got points on the board, yet the football wasn't great. Frank, well the less said there the better.... The bar is low to be fair, yet Dyche is exceeding it.

If we actually had a decent and reliable forward on the pitch, I think we'd all be feeling much more confident, and we'd probably be midtable.
No disagreement, I have to add, we've no Townsend, and of course Richarlison isn't here.

I just like that he values the basics. They’re overlooked so often. Like fullbacks stopping crosses. I’ve been screaming this at Everton players for years, they block one cross then are made up with themselves and can’t be bothered to go for the next one which invariably ends up in the back of the net. Digne was awful at it. Iwobi is another one, will do it once then not stay switched on. In the Forest game though you could hear on the audio Dyche screaming ‘stop the cross’ multiple times.

The other thing I’ve noticed is that we’ve just stopped the ridiculous fullback nonsense we’ve done under pretty much every manager apart from Carlo. Coleman and Mykolenko can’t cross a ball so why did we base our entire attacks around springing one of those two to whip a ball in. Sometimes they were both ahead of the play, absolutely crazy, especially given how slow our back line is.

Under Dyche the full backs get it and pass it down the line to wingers to attack, then they offer the option of a deeper cross, or only when it’s on they run beyond them on a genuine overlap. They’re staying goalside nearly all the time and it shows in how well Coleman and Godfrey have defended one on one breakaways in the last few games.

Simple things that aren’t reinventing the wheel but make a big difference
I don't think its about cancelling out that overlapping full/wing back from his system altogether, he's just realised what a liability Myko is being that far up the pitch. If he had the options like we have in the past then he would definitely still play to that tactic. I'm sure he even used his fullbacks in an attacking sense at burnley, when he trusted they had that in there game.

It's a huge if, but had we had an even 80% fit Dominic Calvert-Lewin we win comfortably against Leeds as well as winning against Forest and Villa.
I think we have a better chance and at worst would be 1 or 2 points ahead of where we are now. That would be a huge difference in our position. We'd be over 3 points clear of the relegation position teams even with their game in hand.

Win against Forest and Villa and we'd be a mid table non-story for all non-Evertonians now which sounds like bliss.

I text my boss in work during the game on Sat. Asked him did Dyche always let his team tire and not make changes.

He replied saying never changes it, wont change anything until 80mins most of the time.

Cost us v Forest and could have cost us again.

In fairness mate, who's he got to change the game on the bench? You have to be careful with changes sometimes as it can take a player a few mins to settle and get to the pace of the game which isn't always a luxury you can afford.

In fairness mate, who's he got to change the game on the bench? You have to be careful with changes sometimes as it can take a player a few mins to settle and get to the pace of the game which isn't always a luxury you can afford.

Yep, agree his options are very much defensively biased at the moment. It is a luxury you can't afford but at the same time, against Forest their goal was coming, they freshened it up with 3 players and we continued to tire, and tire, and tire and a change was needed. Pace of the game when you've got 2/3 players dead on their feet becomes irrelevant. Especially with Gray being one that was absolutely knackered. Maupay could have come on and at least would have given us something who has some energy to fight for a ball.

When his options are Davies & Maupay theres probably a reason for that.

Anytime i mention this sort of thing I usually say ' in fairness, what are the options he has? Maupay, Mykolenko, Davies and now Garner...

I would have hoped Garner becomes the priority to bring on really.

*Sidenote, this isn't Dyche slander, the circumstances he has come into, 3 wins from 7 games is vastly, vastly improved. Especially considering we've played Arsenal twice and Liverpool in this time. It's just a cause for concern going forward, and his history tells us that he isn't a proactive manager with his substitutions.

He had the same flaws at Chelsea and the exact same tactical issues. I consider myself utterly basic when it comes to tactics and I could see where lampard was going wrong. That he or his coaching staff couldn't is incredible. He was very bad at his job
Mate I agree, Lampards time was up.
Still think he gave it a shot which is more than koeman and FSW did.
Dyche has been the right man for this job since Martinez was sacked but only got a look in when we ran out of options.

Mate I agree, Lampards time was up.
Still think he gave it a shot which is more than koeman and FSW did.
Dyche has been the right man for this job since Martinez was sacked but only got a look in when we ran out of options.
I think the waiter wanted to exceed, by all accounts he worked hard. I agree fully on dyche being the right man at the right time, feels a bit joe royle to me

Status
Not open for further replies.