2022/23 Seamus Coleman

Status
Not open for further replies.
To be honest, I didn’t believe it was a shot when I saw it. I think lots didn’t. Rewatching it several times has changed my mind.

I don’t blame anyone for not thinking it was a shot. As wasn’t it only his second goal in like 100 appearances or something? It was unexpected and incredibly accurate from him which as others have said, isn’t something we are necessarily used to from his crossing etc.

yeah I get that, but his head and body position, and the fact there was nobody close in the box suggests it was a shot. A miscued cross would have been 'clipped' or 'chipped' but he put his foot through it.

You have to view Seamus's decline in the context of a squad the players he's amongst. Even in his final year or two as a PL player he's still our best RFB and one of our most influential players.

Do you mean his decline is not noticed as much because everyone else is so bad?
Actually I've always defended the young players we have had in the last 5 years, as they've not had consistent coaching and mentoring, but even our senior players like Seamus must have struggled without a consistent football plan, tactics and worse players around them. That defence of Coleman-Jags-Distin-Baines with Howard behind was pretty decent.

loel.gif

I was very annoyed after the derby. “Wage thief” is a bit strong, I shouldn’t have worded it that way. He works as hard as what’s left of his legs will allow him to.

That being said, I still see him as the big weak link in this team and one that other teams will continue to exploit as the season goes on. All this gushing happened last season after his goal against Leeds too, and he went on to stink the place out for most of the remainder of the season. I’ll allow the gushers their day in the sun today though, they’ll have to make the most of it for the next 6 days.

Do you mean his decline is not noticed as much because everyone else is so bad?
Actually I've always defended the young players we have had in the last 5 years, as they've not had consistent coaching and mentoring, but even our senior players like Seamus must have struggled without a consistent football plan, tactics and worse players around them. That defence of Coleman-Jags-Distin-Baines with Howard behind was pretty decent.
Pretty much, yes.

I dont think this squad is half as bad as we all sometimes say they are (they are defo better than the position we're currently in) but it isn't a team that Coleman cant hold a starting place in.

Who is better than him for the job Dyche in particular wants done? Patterson cant defend, Holgate is a CB (if that) and Godfrey is a headless chicken with pace.

I was very annoyed after the derby. “Wage thief” is a bit strong, I shouldn’t have worded it that way. He works as hard as what’s left of his legs will allow him to.

That being said, I still see him as the big weak link in this team and one that other teams will continue to exploit as the season goes on. All this gushing happened last season after his goal against Leeds too, and he went on to stink the place out for most of the remainder of the season. I’ll allow the gushers their day in the sun today though, they’ll have to make the most of it for the next 6 days.
I dont think that was the insult most are referring to here!
loel.gif

yeah I get that, but his head and body position, and the fact there was nobody close in the box suggests it was a shot. A miscued cross would have been 'clipped' or 'chipped' but he put his foot through it.
he looked at the keeper as he was on the edge of the box, and the footage from behind the goal shows he also had smaller glances towards the keeper before unleashing.100% he meant it. Not sure he could do it again but who cares

I think everyone just needs to use less hyperbolic language after each and every performance, both good or bad and trying to point score against other fans.

All our players have good games occasionally but on the whole for the last season and a half, every one of them have been poor lots more often than good.

Can’t believe he seen off Sidibe years ago, and he’s still starting.
No matter what RB we get Seamus still ends up playing plenty, I wish we people like that all over the pitch.

Status
Not open for further replies.