Marcelo Bielsa

Status
Not open for further replies.
Speaking a bit more to my Leeds supporting mate this morning about him.

Apparently he stationed his coaches all around the pitch so they could shout instructions to players all game until the league put a stop to it.

He also says Leeds are starting to see some excellent young players come through as a result of his changes.

The more I hear about this man, the more I want him to come in if the worst happens this season. He could mastermind a rebuild.

Bielsa saw the squad for what it was. Full of slow, and technically lacking players.
The only players we have with any technical ability or pace are old (Townsend) or inconsistent (Gray) and McNeil has ability but no real pace.
Our main striker can’t score with his feet unless the ball bounces off him.
Bielsa feels that the squad isn’t good enough to get out of this mess and so his plan was to start at the bottom and work up, and I think he would have transformed our squads and playing style and brought better youth through.
Yes, it would have meant accepting that we’ll have a season or two in the championship, but that will probably happen anyway.

The whole U21 thing is brilliant if true lol probs would have worked long term but relegated us in the short.
The frustrating aspect of all this is that we are run like a non-league side and hearing Bielsa’s rumoured ideas shouldn’t be a revelation because we should be doing it already.

We should have a clear system/strategy in place to attract the right young players into the academy and nurture their talent to the style of the club already. Problem is, we have no set style, strategy or ethos.

Wasn’t this supposed to be in the 100 point strategic review that nobody has actually seen?

Speaking a bit more to my Leeds supporting mate this morning about him.

Apparently he stationed his coaches all around the pitch so they could shout instructions to players all game until the league put a stop to it.

He also says Leeds are starting to see some excellent young players come through as a result of his changes.

The more I hear about this man, the more I want him to come in if the worst happens this season. He could mastermind a rebuild.
The guy I work with, his son was at Leeds in youth set up when Bielsa was there. Bielsa would come over and work with U21 down to U12 after he'd finished with the first team. He told me that he transformed the youth set up at Leeds and that by time he left they had about 40 players between 12-21's that were excellent. It seems to be that we've sacrificed some short term hardship for long term gain and swapped it for a few years of mediocre football with possibility of staying up and no long term gain.

I think he'd took them into a death spiral those last few months though. There's no doubt he initially did well but I'm not entirely sure how sturdy the foundations were to build further success which is ultimately what a long term plan is.

I like him but deffo wrong man at the wrong time.
He didn't take them into a death spiral. They had a massive injury list and Leeds didn't refresh the squad as much as he wanted in summer. He transformed their youth set up.

The guy I work with, his son was at Leeds in youth set up when Bielsa was there. Bielsa would come over and work with U21 down to U12 after he'd finished with the first team. He told me that he transformed the youth set up at Leeds and that by time he left they had about 40 players between 12-21's that were excellent. It seems to be that we've sacrificed some short term hardship for long term gain and swapped it for a few years of mediocre football with possibility of staying up and no long term gain.
More than that in fact - he even coached several of the u10s and u11 teams on his days off. Fully immersed himself in every aspect of the club down to tiny details - e.g. altered the size of staff parking spaces and arranged Christmas raffle for staff (and bought the prizes himself). In the short term, that obsessiveness really paid off for Leeds - remains to be seen whether the owners will continue to build on the changes Bielsa made.

Status
Not open for further replies.