Marcelo Bielsa

Status
Not open for further replies.
Love Bielsa but he requires too much power for a club like us.

Leeds are slightly smaller than us at the moment so I can see how he held so much control.

The dream would have been Bielsa as a Director of Football given his age with a young coach like Davide Ancelotti under him but any manager wants to be his own man with their style

he did it at Leeds and at Athletic, but once those players emerged and were established / coveted by bigger clubs they did get sick of his antics
He was at Athletico for just under two years and Leeds is the massive outlier in terms of staying at a club. It's a nice idea but the whole mess of appointing effectively 2 managers with one of them knowing they are a placeholder is very unlikely to run smoothly.

What's the calibre of manager who'd agree a 4/5 month deal with a decent chance of a relegation on the CV. And then on top of that the long term option is well known for being volatile and more than willing to walk at any moment. If it was summer then I'd be more open to it but the proposed plan seems a very on the spur of the moment bodge job.

That's not to say I wouldn't have enjoyed it on many levels. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Feel safer with Dyche and feel we have a better chance of staying up than Bielsa tactics. Now if we where in a position of safety but just disgruntled with our style of footy then Bielsa would have been a good appointment like after Silva or Koeman or even Fat Sam. In a position of safety then Bielsa all day long but feel he would take us down in our current position

Bielsa is saying we're getting relegated no matter what.
...and that the repair job should start now.

But it isn't and it won't.
Missed opportunity or bullet dodged?
Time will tell.

*goes off to watch 'Sunderland till I die' for some tips

Last edited:
What must he have been thinking?

Even more, I know we're not a catch right now but we are not so desperate for HIM that much to sack off the first team in favour of him getting started on the younger players. That might be a plan at a club like Leeds perhaps but not Everton. I think he took us for fools and I'm glad we didn't get him I'm glad someone at the club whoever it was even if it was St Bill of Kenwright told him to do one. And I can't stand Kenwright.

In Scouse "do one blert".
tbh, not the worst description ever of our owner and board.

Feel safer with Dyche and feel we have a better chance of staying up than Bielsa tactics. Now if we were in a position of safety but just disgruntled with our style of footy then Bielsa would have been a good appointment like after Silva or Koeman or even Fat Sam. In a position of safety then Bielsa all day long but feel he would take us down in our current position
We weren’t safe when silva or koeman were sacked. We weren’t in the same trouble we are now, but IIRC, we were in relegation spots when they were sacked but it was earlier in the season so bielsa may have taken the hit for 7/8 weeks of poor results while players adapated to his style but we hired Allardyce and Carlo as safe pairs of hands knowing the players could play their styles.

After Allardyce or Carlo would have been the times for his appointment.

So he's come from Brazil to meet with the board, made these made plans ( plans that sound like exactly what we need ) and we've offered the job to dyche

Interested to find out the reason s
Because he wanted to coach the U21s and have his staff coach the first team.

I love Bielsa, he's brilliant, but i can understand why we'd go for a 'safer' option of having an actual manager.

FWIW though it would have been incredible to see if we were in a better position.

Again, lack of joined-up thinking because if Moshiri wanted him he could have discussed with the board and spoken to him last year, in case they needed to make a change, and then done it during the World Cup.

he did it at Leeds and at Athletic, but once those players emerged and were established / coveted by bigger clubs they did get sick of his antics
Really the main reason at Leeds was injuries, which is the risk that comes with his football. He wants small squads too.

I'd have loved to see it, and can't help feel slightly disappointed we're going down the boring route.

But, thinking logically, hiring a manager who then puts his assistants in charge for six months in a relegation scrap, while they coach the U21s, is probably a bit too daft even for Everton.

Meltdown in the second year in the PL is not delivering over the long-term.
He rebuilt the club from top to bottom. 3.5 years, like it or not, is about as long term as you get in modern day footy. It definitely is as long term as you get with Bielsa (think it was actually his longest club job).

I highly doubt Dyche will be here longer than his 2.5-year deal. If we can get to that, we'll have done well, given the rate we go through managers.

Status
Not open for further replies.