2022/23 Frank Lampard

Status
Not open for further replies.
There’s a high probability we get beat by Wolves. Then it’s City where we’ll get bummed. Then Brighton who have all the tools to annihilate a team like ours. Then it’s Southampton. Imagine losing that one.

Point being why wait around. It’s inevitable we sack him anyway.
The only thing worse than losing that run, is losing it with Ralph Hassentootle in the dugout on a 5 year deal...... ??

My main gripe about the Lampard era hasn't really been the tactics, mentality of the team, how we are set up as honestly most of the time it's been okay, with our downfall coming from a simple lack of quality players in attack. The biggest disappointment above all has been the recruitment.

His first window in January can be excused seeing as he was only a day or 2 into the job, and both players he signed played a part in us staying up. That summer window however, despite the positives, was an utter disaster. To sell a top top forward like Richarlison to then replace him with a player like McNeil, who showed absolutely nothing at Burnley to justify any amount of money being spent on him (hence why we were the only club in the country willing to do so for some reason - with interest seemingly coming under 2 different managers and 2 different Directors of Football), was borderline criminal and shows we have learned nothing. I could *slightly* understand the logic behind Maupay given that we were utterly skint and his underlying stats were nice, but again that has turned out to be a poor buy which we are stuck with until his contract expires.

Coady, Tarkowski, Onana and Garner were good signings. Gana is yet to convince me that his legs haven't gone and Vinagre was strange but tbf it'd be difficult trying to find someone wanting to sit on the bench every week in case our starting left back gets injured. That's 4 hits and 4 non-hits with our best player gone and not replaced.

Rejecting £60m for Gordon was an utterly shambolic decision and whoever made it should be given the chop for clearly not understanding football at more than the most basic of levels. Gordon is not a particularly good player and he doesn't get into the starting 11 of any other team in the league aside from maybe 1 or 2 - why are we rejecting an amount of money that could sign us a productive forward or 2 and get some goals in the team? Not taking advantage of this utter insanity from the Chelsea owner is coming back to bite us. Our starting front 3 are him, Demarai Gray and Neal Maupay ffs. Look at the starting forwards for all the other teams in the league, then come back to me wondering why we are so poor. You can have the best defence and midfield in the world but you will absolutely not win games without top forwards, period. Malinvestment in this area is killing the club.

If we are going to be successful in attack then we need to be able to counter attack properly and we need to be direct and physical.

To have 65% possession and do nothing with it shows we are not direct enough and also not brave enough to play between the lines.

We had opportunities today to play better passes forward and instead turned inside or back.

I think the slow possession based passing is obviously the gameplan because we've seen it too often now not to be. The manager spoke about being aggressive and direct but ever since we've only had passive and lethargic.

He signed 3 midfielders rather than forwards. This is on him. And the 3 players we signed in midfield are bang average too, which makes it far worse. Not 1 goal from them all season - thats almost impressive in mid November.

I was all in on him but I've lost all faith. I never thought I would see him make 11 changes and I never thought I would see this level of incompetence tactically. I dont think sacking him solves much but I dont see any way back for him either after today.
But how do you go 'direct' to Maupay?

Yes, the players do turn back rather than play brave passes. Again, isn't that a sign that we just have very bad players?

We needed a regenerated midfield, and defence, and attack. We needed all of the areas improving.

If he was sacked tomorrow i wouldn't be upset.

Wolves will beat us and City will pump us something rotten then everyone will say he needs to go.

Get rid now I say.
yeah i just don't think it'd solve anything like because the players are turbo-tosh

We let the last manager rip the squad of any creativity and then this one hasn't found a way to get patterns of play going to make up for it.

It's a bit of chicken and egg in that regard because I think it's a bit of both the manager not having an idea of exactly how he wants us to attack and the players not being good enough to make the right decision on the ball.

My main gripe about the Lampard era hasn't really been the tactics, mentality of the team, how we are set up as honestly most of the time it's been okay, with our downfall coming from a simple lack of quality players in attack. The biggest disappointment above all has been the recruitment.

His first window in January can be excused seeing as he was only a day or 2 into the job, and both players he signed played a part in us staying up. That summer window however, despite the positives, was an utter disaster. To sell a top top forward like Richarlison to then replace him with a player like McNeil, who showed absolutely nothing at Burnley to justify any amount of money being spent on him (hence why we were the only club in the country willing to do so for some reason - with interest seemingly coming under 2 different managers and 2 different Directors of Football), was borderline criminal and shows we have learned nothing. I could *slightly* understand the logic behind Maupay given that we were utterly skint and his underlying stats were nice, but again that has turned out to be a poor buy which we are stuck with until his contract expires.

Coady, Tarkowski, Onana and Garner were good signings. Gana is yet to convince me that his legs haven't gone and Vinagre was strange but tbf it'd be difficult trying to find someone wanting to sit on the bench every week in case our starting left back gets injured. That's 4 hits and 4 non-hits with our best player gone and not replaced.

Rejecting £60m for Gordon was an utterly shambolic decision and whoever made it should be given the chop for clearly not understanding football at more than the most basic of levels. Gordon is not a particularly good player and he doesn't get into the starting 11 of any other team in the league aside from maybe 1 or 2 - why are we rejecting an amount of money that could sign us a productive forward or 2 and get some goals in the team? Not taking advantage of this utter insanity from the Chelsea owner is coming back to bite us. Our starting front 3 are him, Demarai Gray and Neal Maupay ffs. Look at the starting forwards for all the other teams in the league, then come back to me wondering why we are so poor. You can have the best defence and midfield in the world but you will absolutely not win games without top forwards, period. Malinvestment in this area is killing the club.
12 hours, maybe less as he wasn’t confirmed till Deadline Day

Let's be honest mitrovic could have been clear for the goldenboot if he didn't have an off day.
He didn't have a massive chance IIRC. Fulham's best chance was from Willian, and Pickford made a really good save.

I don't care if a team has 10 shots if they're from positions where we are in control of the situation. Teams let us have shots, they know we'll do nowt with them - because we're crap.

What our issue is is that we let every team have tons of shots and eventually you run out of luck. Unless you play Everton who, I repeat, have the worst set of attackers in the league.

yeah i just don't think it'd solve anything like because the players are turbo-tosh

We let the last manager rip the squad of any creativity and then this one hasn't found a way to get patterns of play going to make up for it.

It's a bit of chicken and egg in that regard because I think it's a bit of both the manager not having an idea of exactly how he wants us to attack and the players not being good enough to make the right decision on the ball.
I agree with
In a normal year you'd maybe have a case for letting him stay awhile and seeing if he can make improvements. I wouldn't make that case but it might be there.

Not this year. You've got a second preseason and it just doesn't make sense to give him another couple weeks on the other side just to determine what is at this point the most likely outcome.I agred

I agree with moonin. Lamps out

Rejecting £60m for Gordon was an utterly shambolic decision and whoever made it should be given the chop for clearly not understanding football at more than the most basic of levels. Gordon is not a particularly good player and he doesn't get into the starting 11 of any other team in the league aside from maybe 1 or 2 - why are we rejecting an amount of money that could sign us a productive forward or 2 and get some goals in the team? Not taking advantage of this utter insanity from the Chelsea owner is coming back to bite us.

Probably because there never was a £60m offer on the table (this number seems to go up every day). Any real offer is more likely to be closer to half this figure, plus future incentives, which we could easily have wasted scrambling round for players a few days before the window closed, with everyone knowing we had a bit of cash in our pocket.

He may well be sold in January and we can have used the time to properly identify primary targets and prepare transfer offers with that income.

But how do you go 'direct' to Maupay?

Yes, the players do turn back rather than play brave passes. Again, isn't that a sign that we just have very bad players?

We needed a regenerated midfield, and defence, and attack. We needed all of the areas improving.
Unfortunately my opinion since the summer is that forwards are by far the most important position on the field. And you cant avoid a relegation fight if you have a bottom 3 front line.

And to make things worse, the money spent on the midfield appears to have been totally wasted. Onana is not a 30m player ( not yet anyway and not for a club like us with limited funds), Garner doesn't even play and Gueye is just as poor as he always has been.

The proof is in the pudding every week on the pitch. We neglected the key weakness in attack, and we wasted a lot of money on players not of a high enough calibre to play for Everton.

Nothing I have seen has changed my mind and made me think my concerns in August were wrong. In fact I probably underestimated our goalscoring problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.