2022/23 Kevin Thelwell

Status
Not open for further replies.
This will go under the radar, but this is an excellent, excellent pickup.

Well done Kevin. Finally, we’re being run like a football club.

All of the appointments look really good. It's been totally understated, but this is as exciting as the 2017 transfer window (which turned out crap I know, but looked great at the time) - this time we have the leadership and expertise where we need it!

All of the appointments look really good. It's been totally understated, but this is as exciting as the 2017 transfer window (which turned out crap I know, but looked great at the time) - this time we have the leadership and expertise where we need it!

I will avoid using “exciting” after getting stung in 2017.

I don’t. Know what’s been said, or why Moshiri has backed off, but it just leaves a sour taste that, within the 9 months of him backing off, we’ve managed to rip up the squad replace them with fitter, younger, quality players and bring in some outstanding back room staff.

Imagine what we’d have been at, had Moshiri actually appointed football people to begin with.

This lad has done fantastically well since coming in. Allan gone now which is another high earner off the wage bill. Even with the incomings this summer he must’ve saved at least £500k a week off the wage bill this summer.

Come the summer we could also be in a situation where Doucoure, Mina and Keane leave with no big impact on the team, that’s another probably near £300k, as well as Coleman retiring most likely.

That’d be most of a million pounds off the wage bill per week with no negative influence on the performance of the squad. Fair play to him, hope he can keep it up.

Fair play to him, I was skeptical at first as the DoF role has been a complete disaster since it was created but Kev is quietly working away in the background staying out the limelight.

Unlike that previous charlatan Brands, who was more interested in getting his mug everywhere and overspending on crock.

Fair play to him, I was skeptical at first as the DoF role has been a complete disaster since it was created but Kev is quietly working away in the background staying out the limelight.

Unlike that previous charlatan Brands, who was more interested in getting his mug everywhere and overspending on crock.
I think Kev is operating well, but no doubt Moshiri being told to back off has helped. The jury will forever be out on Brands, but one thing is for certain, he was never given the clean air and was constantly undermined by Moshiri.

If the strategic review has achieved one thing, it is that Moshiri is now out of the football decisions.

I think Kev is operating well, but no doubt Moshiri being told to back off has helped. The jury will forever be out on Brands, but one thing is for certain, he was never given the clean air and was constantly undermined by Moshiri.

If the strategic review has achieved one thing, it is that Moshiri is now out of the football decisions.
I look at getting rid of Brands to get Thelwell in a bit of the same way that we sold Digne to get Myko and Patterson.

Terrible decisions at the time that had little to do with their ability in their role and more to do with politics, from people who shouldn’t have been butting in and ultimately if they were allowed to do their roles naturally they’d have been no doubt successful. On the other side though both decisions while bad at the time led to something good coming of them and hopefully stability for years to come in both senses.

Getting rid of Digne and Brands are both good deals in retrospect but we shouldn’t forget that the truth of it is in the moment both decisions were awful and showed what a state the club was in and more importantly it seemed more like happenstance that Thelwell came in for Brands and Myko and Patterson came in for Digne, they would’ve both been wrongfully bombed out without replacements by the powers that be at the time.

We got very lucky that it didn’t bite us in the arse massively.

I have no idea what he looks like, he doesn’t have a stupid nickname like ‘The Architect’, he’s just going around getting the team sorted. So much deadwood gone and some really quality, well priced signings.

The only complaint anyone can have really is not bringing in someone like Maupay a few weeks earlier but in the long run, he looks a good signing too.

Very happy with the Thelwell/Lampard team so far!

I look at getting rid of Brands to get Thelwell in a bit of the same way that we sold Digne to get Myko and Patterson.

Terrible decisions at the time that had little to do with their ability in their role and more to do with politics, from people who shouldn’t have been butting in and ultimately if they were allowed to do their roles naturally they’d have been no doubt successful. On the other side though both decisions while bad at the time led to something good coming of them and hopefully stability for years to come in both senses.

Getting rid of Digne and Brands are both good deals in retrospect but we shouldn’t forget that the truth of it is in the moment both decisions were awful and showed what a state the club was in and more importantly it seemed more like happenstance that Thelwell came in for Brands and Myko and Patterson came in for Digne, they would’ve both been wrongfully bombed out without replacements by the powers that be at the time.

I didn't think getting rid of Digne was a mistake then and I certainly don't now.. Patterson was as near a sure thing I've ever felt as an Everton signing, anybody who had seen him play at Rangers would have said the same. Mykolenko was needed purely because he was a left back and it turns out he is far more solid defensively than Digne.

That's nothing to do with luck

I thought Brands‘ strength was in the changes he was making below first team level, but ultimately he was hampered by the owner/ chairman/ then manager. When Thelwell was interviewed he’d likely have asked “ Will I be able to do my job or will you guys continue to interfere?” . Whatever it was the message has dropped, he’s allowed to make the changes he wants and whatever our views on individuals , collectively it was time for Ferguson, Unsworth and Ebbrell to be quietly moved on and Thelwell has achieved this.

Status
Not open for further replies.