Why the Barca tactics aren't working for us

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not as if we can come up with one approach that's going to work all the time, even Barca counters when they need to.
We haven't got the money to compete for the best players so we have to develop them ourselves, that's going to take some time. RMs been working on this team for less than a season and a half and we are looking much more like a complete team already.

We still have wing backs providing us with width that's the envy of many teams going forward, coupling that with the ability to pass the ball through the middle will just improve us further.

When McCarthy and Barkley are on the pitch the team has the ability to win the ball and put pressure on the opponents and they are hard to replace with our current squad. McCarthys work rate and defensive contributions as well as his distribution helps us bring the team back behind the ball when countered against, and come forward to create chances.

Barkleys pace, physicality, and skill on the ball means he can both keep the ball when defenders are closing him down as well as find the striker with a pass or run through the defence.
When he's not playing Lukaku tend to become much deeper in order to hold up the ball, or Naismith if he's striker tends to go wide to find space. We don't have any player in our current squad that can replace Barkley imo, which means we struggle when facing teams that sit deep.

We need to keep developing our squad, so we can beat teams regardless of their approach. I think we're on the right track, but let's get into champions league before we compare ourselves to the best teams around.

Didnt know we are trying play like Barcelona. But my football knowledge is awful.

Do Barcelona full backs score tap ins in the 70th minute? Or provide more assists than any other full back in the world ever has?

Its all about pumping it up long lad

That's were the magic is

We don't have anyone who can play a quality long pass though Mikey, Barry and McCarthy, where the pass would come from, simply don't have that ability.

You won't get many arguments from me mate

I personally think Barry is capable of the odd long pass but it wouldn't really want him doing it

There's nothing wrong with pulling one out the bag now and then if the situation calls for it

I personally think that we should be pressing higher - teams that are upgrading Barcas style are pressing high up the pitch and almost having no defenders at all, if you look at Marseilles, they're pressing up very high.

Not sure on the long ball, good if the ball is held up, but Roms first touch is dubious and too often (when he jumps) does he head the ball on when he is the out n out striker and just falls to their defence or keeper. His positioning is questionable too, usually the wrong side of his man to receive it. Gone are the days of Cahill when you can rely on thumping it up and getting something from it. But we still need to be peppering their area, big difference when Barkley n Coleman played against Villa, Baines can get forward and he knows Coleman is running in from the other side so will bobble a ball in front of their keeper. Likewise when Barkley has the ball it draws about three of their players in leaving space elsewhere. I just dont see Lukaku busting a nut to get to a ball driven in front of their keeps.
Instead more crosses into box needed and more bodies in the box. Free Kicks need to go into the box rather than play it to the nearest man, corners need to make the six yard box. We arent testing their defences enough for my liking.

Agree about crosses into the box

We've suffered the perfect storm of injuries and knocks to our dynamic players and shocking errors by our usually rock solid defence.

Balance is starting to be restored, results are starting to improve and then the style and swagger will come back into our play

You won't get many arguments from me mate

I personally think Barry is capable of the odd long pass but it wouldn't really want him doing it

There's nothing wrong with pulling one out the bag now and then if the situation calls for it

It's just so aimless when we do it though. Plus, the longer we have the ball, the less chance the opposition have to score, it's a fine defensive technique as well as looking to open up teams.

I enjoy watching us play, we may not get the results all the time, but for the first time in beards I really look forward to my 3am alarm to watch us play nice togga.

JWGutV7.gif
I hope we're not looking at this kind of approach to get things unblocked.
This is twelve minutes of your life you'll never get back, btw. This is also quite a story.

It's about controlling the football match.

We are trying to be more proactive than reactive.

We are more in control of our own fate this way, the players seems to have bought into it and so we can only get better.

I much prefer watching Everton playing this style of keeping the ball and impacting our own style onto the game.

It's easier on the eye and so far under Martinez has been producing good results.

A slow start to the season shouldn't mean we have to change our whole way of playing football.

Although I can understand your point, sometimes we don't move the ball quick enough and it becomes a little bit predictable and easy to defend against.

Status
Not open for further replies.