Why the Barca tactics aren't working for us

Status
Not open for further replies.

I watched us hoof long balls from Jags/Distin to Lukaku for pretty much the last 20 minutes against Lille. He didn't get on the end of one ball. I'd rather knock it around than give it straight back to the opposition.

erm we don't even play the Barca way,
I watched us hoof long balls from Jags/Distin to Lukaku for pretty much the last 20 minutes against Lille. He didn't get on the end of one ball. I'd rather knock it around than give it straight back to the opposition.

This all day, long ball relies on luck and lucky bounces.

Exactly

I'd rather we keep it on the ground as a general policy

If we do decide to play it long occasionally though, it needs to be snappy, which we haven't been doing

If three of your defensive five play like Under 8;s, you've immediately got problems whether your style is short or long. When you then add a ridiculously poor injury list to the mix, you've got a major situation.

Some of them are coming in to form; some of them are returning from injury. The time to build a thesis on "sussed out" / mix it up is once we see the real team in action & whether it can cope with what's thrown at it, i m o.

Didnt know we are trying play like Barcelona. But my football knowledge is awful.

Do Barcelona full backs score tap ins in the 70th minute? Or provide more assists than any other full back in the world ever has?

Exactly

I'd rather we keep it on the ground as a general policy

If we do decide to play it long occasionally though, it needs to be snappy, which we haven't been doing

We don't have anyone who can play a quality long pass though Mikey, Barry and McCarthy, where the pass would come from, simply don't have that ability.

Not sure on the long ball, good if the ball is held up, but Roms first touch is dubious and too often (when he jumps) does he head the ball on when he is the out n out striker and just falls to their defence or keeper. His positioning is questionable too, usually the wrong side of his man to receive it. Gone are the days of Cahill when you can rely on thumping it up and getting something from it. But we still need to be peppering their area, big difference when Barkley n Coleman played against Villa, Baines can get forward and he knows Coleman is running in from the other side so will bobble a ball in front of their keeper. Likewise when Barkley has the ball it draws about three of their players in leaving space elsewhere. I just dont see Lukaku busting a nut to get to a ball driven in front of their keeps.
Instead more crosses into box needed and more bodies in the box. Free Kicks need to go into the box rather than play it to the nearest man, corners need to make the six yard box. We arent testing their defences enough for my liking.

Status
Not open for further replies.