When we get 4th how does the transfer policy work...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apparently people are waiting until THIS window THIS summer before making their mind up on withdrawing the benefit of the doubt from the carpet baggers.

Amazing.

i'll never trust them to spend, but hearing how tight moyes was with the money sometimes opting not to spend it makes me wonder whether it is just them.

Apparently people are waiting until THIS window THIS summer before making their mind up on withdrawing the benefit of the doubt from the carpet baggers.

Amazing.

You know my opinion of the board mate, but this summer we will see a significant net spend (when taken in isolation by itself rather than over the first 2 seasons of bobby), much like the situation when we sold Rooney and the following season had the biggest net spend of like 25+ million, smoke and mirrors but it has happened before and one thing we know about this board are their creatures of habit like
in 2004/05 the year we sold Rooney, we had a total net spend during that season of -£20.2m

We Finished 4th

The following season we had a net spend of +£25.1m

This season we have had a negative net spend of -16.5m

We are on target to finish 4th

History shows that theirs gonna be a big net spend for the following year

Especially as both situations are relatively early on in a new managers reign - presumably before Moyes became a total yes man

05/06 Season - year after we had finished 4th

INS:
Johnson 8.6m
Lescott 5m
Kroldrup 5m
Neville 3.5m
Arteta 2m
Van der Meyde 2m
Valente 1.5m
Stubbs free

Total: 27.6m

OUTS:
Bent 2.5m
Watson free

Total 2.5m

Net spend 25.1m

Bear in mind just with the general costs of inflation and income into teams, that type of spend in the summer would be the equivalent to about a 40-50m spend

If the board follow the same pattern they did last time then i have no doubt whatsoever that it will a one off thing for Martinez, and i actually believe he will get a amount that will shock a lot of us in a good way, however it will be the only time he will ever receive anything like this and without CL every year we will the year after be back in the same sell to buy or just sell and nothing in rut

I think that the number 1 target is Lukaku and Roberto has said that he's been stock-piling his transfer funds, so I don't think that CL cash will come into it.

We don't require major reconstruction and, if we could keep our current squad together and get them all fit, I think that Martinez would be quite happy to go with that.

I think he might make one or two low-key acquisitions. Maybe another experienced centreback to replace Heitinga? That could be Lescott. Colback could also come in to provide some extra back up to Barry (if he stays) and McCarthy.

Arsenal played their second leg against Fenerbache on 27th August. Provided that we finish fourth, we could have deals lined up ready to go dependent on whether we reach the group stages. I don't think that we'd want to do too much last-minute business though.

The knock-out phase doesn't start until mid-February so, if we got that far, it would give us the whole January window to strengthen once we knew what we were up against.

05/06 Season - year after we had finished 4th

INS:
Johnson 8.6m
Lescott 5m
Kroldrup 5m
Neville 3.5m
Arteta 2m
Van der Meyde 2m
Valente 1.5m
Stubbs free

Total: 27.6m

OUTS:
Bent 2.5m
Watson free

Total 2.5m

Net spend 25.1m

Bear in mind just with the general costs of inflation and income into teams, that type of spend in the summer would be the equivalent to about a 40-50m spend

If the board follow the same pattern they did last time then i have no doubt whatsoever that it will a one off thing for Martinez, and i actually believe he will get a amount that will shock a lot of us in a good way, however it will be the only time he will ever receive anything like this and without CL every year we will the year after be back in the same sell to buy or just sell and nothing in rut

At that time we were in severe debt too. It seems as if we've now cleared our overdraft and there are funds available, especially as Roberto wants to use the tv money to develop Finch Farm.

I don't think we have too many weak links though, so I think that money will be spent wisely on particular targets who will compliment what we've already got.

If it is sell to buy it will still be sell the players we dont need or want, none of the contracted players we like are going anywhere.

When we finish 4th, it will be great but it i only a CL qualifier. A qualifier where we will be guaranteed to face a great team because we have awful coefficient. The 2nd leg does get played until the very end of August so how do we go about the transfers?

Certain players would only join if they knew they would get CL and leaving it until the last couple days of the window really narrows down the potential signings, especially the ones that can only be made with CL as players of that quality rarely go in the last couple days.

If it was a team like Arsenal they would probably sign the players regardless because they can afford to take the risk as it financially wont impact them much however our transfer will be MASSIVELY effected by the CL money which means we cant take the risk.

How will we go about this. This is a major worry to me. Not signing the quality players before the qualifiers obviously means we have less chance of winning but we similtaniously cant afford to buy that calibre of player until we get through the qualifier. Through in the loss of Barry, Delo, and especially Lukaku and the qualifier becomes very difficult.

It would be gutting if we lost the qualifier. Is anyone else worried about how we go about transfer this summer?
I don't think it will make too much difference to be honest. We are not going to sign more than one "marquee" player anyway and we will be able to sign that player regardless of having a qualifier ahead of us. What we will be able to offer is the very realistic possibility of playing for a regular champions league team, and any potential signing of that calibre is going to have enough confidence in their abilities to know that they are going to help us get into the group stage and become that regular champions league team.
If it is one of the real elite players that costs 30 or 40 million, then we aren't going to get them anyway

I don't think it will make too much difference to be honest. We are not going to sign more than one "marquee" player anyway and we will be able to sign that player regardless of having a qualifier ahead of us. What we will be able to offer is the very realistic possibility of playing for a regular champions league team, and any potential signing of that calibre is going to have enough confidence in their abilities to know that they are going to help us get into the group stage and become that regular champions league team.
If it is one of the real elite players that costs 30 or 40 million, then we aren't going to get them anyway
100%.

I don't think there is a good reason for a player to hold out until the end of the window to be honest - and players tend to be more expensive on the last few days of the window as we showed Moyes this season.

If a player wanted to play for a club which has at least Europa League Football, with prospects for CL, he better move early.

Whilst I appreciate that the raison d'etre of football forums is varied, disparate and miscellaneous discussion and speculation, I think this thread has got a bit ahead of itself. Mathematically, 7 teams can still come 4th.

Nope it's £40m just for getting in the group stage next season. New TV deal with BT has doubled the money available.
Let's imagine Martinez already has 15m to spend; if we got into the group stages and was given a further 25m to bolster the squad that could completely transform us.

Status
Not open for further replies.