whats Moyes playing at?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think thery both played a blinder on this one is clever damage control. There is no way Felli isnt going to get a ban for this on that we are all agreed. So best thing to do is what they have done. Moyes comes across as an honest manager who calls things both ways not just when he feels hard done by ( as does Wenge,,Brenda,, Fergie ) in the long term this must give him more credibility with the media and FA.
Felli as well admitted his guilt and apologised again gaining credibility but at the same time explaining the provocation. Considering the circumstances this was really the only logical way to deal with the situation.

What Moyes should have said was:

- What Felli did was bang out of order. It cannot be defended and had the ref seen it he would have been rightly sent off

- But Felli was being pulled and dragged by Shawcross. He was provoked and lost his cool. That is of course wrong but it plainly wouldn't have happened if Felli had had full protection from the ref. Let's remember what happened at Man City and how the ref stepped in there

- Felli will be punished internally as what happened does not sit with how the club wants to see its players acting. However, I would just make the point that there was clearly no real force in it. If a 6ft 5inch athlete really wants to head butt or punch someone then they stay down. Shawcross hasn't got a mark on him. Felli was frustrated and made a mistake.

Correct, but you've had hindsight, Moyes didn't

The club and the player have shown remorse. They've done a portion of the damning of the incident for the FA. There's no need for them to make the punishment overly harsh now if the manager and the player have come out in the media and apologised. All the young kids will have seen MOTD and all will have heard the apologies and all will know it's an idiotic thing to do. I doubt the media will jump on the incidents now, like they did the Suarez one thanks to these comments. As stated above, the sting has been taken out of it. Refusing to acknowledge it is a ****'s game and would have only made the rest of the club look bad as well as Fellaini.

However, I'm not going to expect leniency. He deserves at least a 3 match ban whether we apologised or not.

This honesty nonsense just makes us so much easier to rip off. Refs can give decisions against us all day and no one will question it, players can foul us and we just jump back up and then if we do anything wrong we hang ourselves in public.

Can anyone show me a singlew benefit to us in terms of points, treatment from officials or anything else?
One benefit I get as a fan is that I don't feel like a hypocrite when I criticise other managers for defending this kind of stuff.
You're right that in terms of points and treatment from refs, we won't benefit.

The problem is that most football fans repeat what they read and hear in the media. The journalists will focus on Fellaini's misdemeanour, not Moyes's honesty. There won't be a host of comments in the press highlighting the difference between this response and that of the likes of Rodgers and Wenger.
However, in my private life, I like to feel ok when I look in the mirror at the end of the day. That entails trying to do the right thing, if that means admitting I've done the wrong thing (which is far too frequent tbh), that's the way it goes. So on that front, I'm happy with the response.

oh exactly mate!

alright, calm down, I'm just saying that you've had the benefit of almost an entire day to think about it where as Moyes had under an hour. At that moment he probably thought honesty is the best policy, I did too. But with hindsight we can see he should have mentioned that Shawcross had hold of him throughout the game

One benefit I get as a fan is that I don't feel like a hypocrite when I criticise other managers for defending this kind of stuff.
You're right that in terms of points and treatment from refs, we won't benefit.

The problem is that most football fans repeat what they read and hear in the media. The journalists will focus on Fellaini's misdemeanour, not Moyes's honesty. There won't be a host of comments in the press highlighting the difference between this response and that of the likes of Rodgers and Wenger.

Actually, I've been pleased by how many media outlets HAVE been praising Moyes's response, and most have also highlighted Fellaini's prompt apology.

But fellaini deserves to be banned why should he get away with it just because he is our player?

Damage limitation. Moyes says nothing and talks about the game rather than the incident, he's drawing his attention away from it. Deflect it against Stoke and their shirt pulling etc blame the refs for not putting a lid on the shirt pulling.

Coming out and saying "throw the book at him" just makes gives the FA incentive to make an example out of him.

Oh and the fact hes on the back page of every paper being called a thug, every sport outlet calling for him to get 6 to 9 game bans, that he's a dirty player, just means he's gonna get a massive ban.

And we've just let it happen when other players do nasty things all season but have dodged any backlash.

We havent played this well like a Fergie, Mourinho etc all would do

But Suarez didnt get any retrospective action because the Toad face chunt deflects what he does. So he's won that fight even if it makes Rodgers look like a tit. His player isnt getting banned.

Only because what Mr. Ed did COULD have been seen as a poorly timed tackle. There was no disputing what Fellaini did.
And as for Moyes, if he comes out and blasts Fellaini in the first breath and then claims mitigation in the second, it makes him look like a whiner. Best do the second privately in a chatn with Mike Riley.

Only because what Mr. Ed did COULD have been seen as a poorly timed tackle. There was no disputing what Fellaini did.
And as for Moyes, if he comes out and blasts Fellaini in the first breath and then claims mitigation in the second, it makes him look like a whiner. Best do the second privately in a chatn with Mike Riley.

You play the game. All the top managers have deflected condemnation away from their world class players.

Cos almost every other manager does for the benefit of thier side. I don't wan't us to be the moral bastions of the league while others finish above us. Honesty doesn't get you an open top bus ride.

While everyone bar that club's own supporters see right through it for the tosh it is. Kopites lapped it up when Dogleash defended the indefensible, the rest of the world laughed at them.

Status
Not open for further replies.