The 223rd Merseyside Derby: 27/09/2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think a lot hinges on whether Sturridge is back and fit for the match. If he's not it gives us a chance.

Oh who am I kidding if he's not fit someone like Thiago Ilori will come on at 20 min due to injury and score a hat trick even though he is on loan in Ligue 1.

I think a lot hinges on whether Sturridge is back and fit for the match. If he's not it gives us a chance.

Oh who am I kidding if he's not fit someone like Thiago Ilori will come on at 20 min due to injury and score a hat trick even though he is on loan in Ligue 1.

Even Dean Sturridge would run riot against our back 4 on Saturday

Villa and West Ham put a player on Gerrard and that took him out of a lot of the play. Theres no doubt most of their impetus against us is generated from him and if Sturridge makes the derby as expected and Gerrard is rested v Boro on Tuesday, I can see that being pivotal to them being their spark v us. I'll be interested to see who RM plays tomorrow and then seeing who of them gets through unscathed for Saturday.

Villa and West Ham put a player on Gerrard and that took him out of a lot of the play. Theres no doubt most of their impetus against us is generated from him and if Sturridge makes the derby as expected and Gerrard is rested v Boro on Tuesday, I can see that being pivotal to them being their spark v us. I'll be interested to see who RM plays tomorrow and then seeing who of them gets through unscathed for Saturday.

Mccarthy on Gerrard. Not Barry. Just hassle and frustrate him, maybe even provoke him. We havent wound him up properly for ages, he's so passionate for the game (the only one of theirs who properly cares about it nowadays) that we could get him sent off.

Who would be your starting line-up then?

Mine would be:

Howard
Coleman Stones Jagielka Baines
McCarthy Besic
Mirallas Naismith Pienaar
Lukaku

Oviedo, Eto'o, Kone off the bench.

I understand Besic is a risk so some people will go with Barry which is fair enough.

You beat liverpool by making them play from the back. they cant build play up, only quickly. Villa done it and it worked like a charm. We have so many countering options better than they have and really can make them pay for the slightest hesitancy in defence.

However at some point we will be under the kosh and that is when we are prone to making mistakes it seems. So whichever way we end up tilting ther eis a guaranteed goal in the game.

You beat liverpool by making them play from the back. they cant build play up, only quickly. Villa done it and it worked like a charm. We have so many countering options better than they have and really can make them pay for the slightest hesitancy in defence.

However at some point we will be under the kosh and that is when we are prone to making mistakes it seems. So whichever way we end up tilting ther eis a guaranteed goal in the game.

I agree, but our defence is shipping sloppy goals and to go into that game with a plan of sitting back and trying to hit them on the counter would be suicidal imo.

We can't leave acres of space in behind either, as that'll suit their 'hoof it for the quick lads' tactics. We've got to draw them out when we've got the ball and try and boss the posession

I agree, but our defence is shipping sloppy goals and to go into that game with a plan of sitting back and trying to hit them on the counter would be suicidal imo.

We can't leave acres of space in behind either, as that'll suit their 'hoof it for the quick lads' tactics. We've got to draw them out when we've got the ball and try and boss the posession
exactly why them putting us inder pressure will beat us by our defence making a mistake. Keep them at arms length and punish on the break.

Status
Not open for further replies.