Stick or twist for Thursday

Status
Not open for further replies.
Providing that they are all fit, would probably stick with the same team and save the changes for the home match vs Crystal Palace on the Sunday with the possible switch of Eto'o for Lukaku.

Really want us to do well in the Europa since it offers a good chance of qualifying for the riches of the Champions league and silverwear.

I think he will start with what he considers he strongest team, which barring injuries will be todays starters. Distin back in if fit.

That will absolutely not be the case - it's not the 1980s anymore, you don't play the same team in Europe with another game on the Sunday when you've got a 25 man squad. At best, 2 thirds of the side that started today will start on Thursday; Atsu, Besic and Gibbo should all play against Wolfsburg, Eto'o as well if he's fit enough, Robles will definitely play

Last edited:
Yeah i am sorry joel, but if had any say on the game it would be keep howard in the team, a good result in the first game and it being away from home would be a massive result. bobby obviously see’s something in joel to sign him twice but is it just cos he’s a nice guy, i worry when i see the lads name on the teamsheet before i even look at the opposition, but why sign him twice! unless its just a massive lack of confidence at the mo and if so, then sorry joel (if by any chance your reading this) but try catching the ball for a start mate!!!!

Start Howard.. I mean with gks they surely they recover much quicker than outfield players? I wouldnt mind Eto starting because of the European experience.. However we just won our first game so dont want us to change a winning formula to much.. plus the fact Lille play wolfsburg, in the next round of games, a win here and a result and a russia puts us in a great position.

Howard

Coleman
Stones
Jags
Baines

McCarthy
Gibson
Mirallas
Naismith
Pienaar

Lukaku

Subs: Robles, Distin (if fit), Besic, McGeady, Osman, Atsu, Eto'o

Barry rested for Sunday.

Not to be the ultimately fickle footy fan or anything, and start getting over excited when we win one game. But, it's great to see how positive Roberto was when asked about 7 games in three weeks. It's something that he really wants, and for that reason I think we'll stick with our strongest team. Not to forget, with the exception of Ross/ Gibson/ Kone/ Oviedo, we have plenty of back up which I'm sure we'll see in some Premier League matches too. Genuinely think we'll take every competition seriously this year, and can't see us putting out sides like Moyes did against Bate Borisov a few years back, and Leeds away in the Carling Cup the other year.

Only one thing I disagree with there is the bate borisov bit - we were already qualified as group winners so if in a similar situation I'd hope for the same!

I'd personally play a full-strength side against Wolfsburg because we'll want to maintain momentum going into the home game against Palace, fatigue certainly isn't an issue and it will be good for our confidence in the competition if we could start with a win.

We can rotate for the Carling Cup game at the Liberty stadium prior to the derby.

Status
Not open for further replies.