Ross Barkley

Status
Not open for further replies.

Can´t understand why the Echo is going out saying Ross will be our for 5 months when nobody even knows. World of difference between a strain and a tear. Fingers crossed he won´t need an operation.

Can´t understand why the Echo is going out saying Ross will be our for 5 months when nobody even knows. World of difference between a strain and a tear. Fingers crossed he won´t need an operation.

I think Martinez said there was a tear but not sure of the severity. Echo is a load of [Poor language removed] anyway, last night saying "we heard it could have been worse" without even explaining what happened to cause the injury.

Gutted. And gutted for Ross - I can tell he'll be the lowest person of anyone right now. Lad's had no luck with injuries has he.

Formation-wise I trust Martinez to come up with something. Lukaku on the right again. Pienaar like he was today. Diamond with Naismith or Osman at the top... there's still options. Plus Besic has come in so we are on the same numbers in midfield, and Gibbo's back fit apparently.

The time's right to buy someone he's had his eye on in the Championship, or a kid from abroad. Someone cheap who can fill a place on the bench and won't mind waiting their turn once Ross is back fit.

kind of better to expect him to be out for a lengthy period and get a pleasant surprise by him comin back early

tho i usually hate that kind of logic, i mean we can't be 'waiting' for him to come back so we can play are best. Give him a real battle to get back into the team.

was the injury in a training game.. someone wants thrashing for it and what was the staff thinking contact game before a match...only everton

There might not have been contact...injuries like this can be caused simply by twisting,turning, or falling . It can happen when a player is coming back from a break in training, always a difficult time. Its why a player like Gibson is 'injury prone'...a long lay off makes you more vulnerable to another injury. In Ross' case he had a short period of inactivity...just bad luck.

I try not to be a pessimist, but I am a realist and the concern for me is that Martinez confirmed it was a medial knee ligament tear.

I sustained that injury playing a match when I dislocated my patella. There are different grades of MCL tears, 1 to 3 with 3 a complete rupture which is what I had. From what we have heard already about the amount of swelling it is at least a grade 2, which is 3-4 weeks minimum rest before beginning rehab. I was immobilised in a knee brace for over 6 weeks and, although it is 'unlocked' a bit at a time to allow you to gently begin to manoeuvre it, when it was taken off I could barely bend my knee at all - some others on here will probably have experienced this, for a while you wonder if you will ever be able to fully bend it again! They don't usually choose to operate on an MCL like an ACL, which is a benefit, as less chance of any other problems like infections getting in a wound.

Considering I am in my mid-30's and only reasonably fit compared to an athlete like Ross and had to go to work rather than being able to spend all day doing physio, let's hope these kind of recovery times are reduced.

Here's hoping it is only a grade 2 and it is closer to the 7 weeks for the lad. It is sad for us, but must be devastating for him at such a key moment of his career, coming off the back of the World Cup.

Thanks for a sensible, informative post, with no hysterics.

If we don't sign/loan a replacement, some one who can run with the ball or make a killer pass we are fe cked.
Seriously, we have no guile in the middle and it will cost us dearly.

If we don't sign/loan a replacement, some one who can run with the ball or make a killer pass we are fe cked.
Seriously, we have no guile in the middle and it will cost us dearly.
It's as simple as that. Martinez and the board will be making a huge mistake allowing this team to drift for half a season without quality in behind Lukaku.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.