Roberto's hour long interview

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've always thought that's weird as well, the secrecy of playing styles and strategies. I think British football in general bunkered down a little bit in the past few decades. For some reason talking tactics became unfashionable, despite the vast majority of the basic ideas that everybody uses originating here. Even now it's seen as a bit fancy and some managers try to make it seem revolutionary. It's changing very slowly on the TV coverage, now and then they do actually discuss things in a bit more depth than, "again, he's creating space with his run". And there are far more websites devoted to tactics than there used to be.

In the interview tho, Roberto still wouldn't say what the three things that went wrong for the Sunderland penalty were. Obviously you don't want to give anything away so it's understandable regardless, but I think some managers, even in the Premier League, are so stuck in their ways that they won't bother to try to work out how the opposition plays in any particular detail.

I'm glad I wasn't off base with that then. Again over here, you have multiple hours a day of shows dedicated to stuff like that for American football and basketball and it's great.

For someone like me, who didn't grow up playing footie, it's been a long education and I would have benefited greatly from more stuff like this 10 years ago. Even now, I learn new things all the time in dribs and drabs (and a lot of it on here).

Don't take this as starting an argument, because you know I respect you (I hope you do). But RM was very clear that if Kenwright hadn't been here (or basically to the effect that if a real fan/chairman wasn't here would he have come? "100% no") was his answer.

Just curious how you felt about that part? Bobby seems to have no issue with Kenwright. Neither did Moyes, although in part we can assume it was the low expectations and high salary. But I trust Martinez.

Well, he has to be diplomatic. He couldn't very well say working with Kenwright wasn't an attraction when it was put to him in such a leading way. That said, and as he stated, control over a club is very important and he had that at Swansea and Wigan. For a manager at Martinez's stage of career Everton and Kenwright are a perfect fit: a leap up from Wigan in terms of player quality and status in the game, and a chairman who wont panic and get shut to appease doubters if 'the project' started off on the wrong foot.

But while things are fine now, I can easily see friction in the future when Martinez is able to smell success but not able to taste it. He's in the middle of his second transfer window and surely under no illusion about restraints in the transfer market to achieve what he wants with us. I'm sure he'd like a happy medium between a megalomaniac billionaire and a financially limited paternalist owner like Kenwright. I dont think many are knocking about though.

Roberto-Martinez-1.jpg

that door looks like its been slammed a few times,moyes as ruined a good door there..

I wonder if this will manifest in terms of the long-term fitness of the club against the season. In the last couple seasons we've only been able to perform up to our standards for about half the season. Maybe playing football to become fit for football, instead of going through these tough and exhausting exercises will take less of a toll on the players bodies and reduce the likelihood of injuries due to exhaustion.

I dont know mate, but I'd trust a trained physio like Martinez to get the right balance over Moyes.

I'm glad I wasn't off base with that then. Again over here, you have multiple hours a day of shows dedicated to stuff like that for American football and basketball and it's great.

For someone like me, who didn't grow up playing footie, it's been a long education and I would have benefited greatly from more stuff like this 10 years ago. Even now, I learn new things all the time in dribs and drabs (and a lot of it on here).

I don't think it'll ever get as hyper-analytical as the American sports, partly because of the culture, but mainly because it's a dynamic game that doesn't have nicely segmented plays where it's easy to pick out the individual actions. I actually think that's a little bit of a disadvantage for American players that come into football from a different background. They're so used to doing specific things that are meant to be the 'right play' or whatever, that they have difficulty playing with the freedom you need in a constantly changing playing environment. I've noticed it about the national team, you always look well organised and methodical, but it's rare that anyone's prepared to break ranks and do something they maybe haven't been told to do.

Well, he has to be diplomatic. He couldn't very well say working with Kenwright wasn't an attraction when it was put to him in such a leading way. That said, and as he stated, control over a club is very important and he had that at Swansea and Wigan. For a manager at Martinez's stage of career Everton and Kenwright are a perfect fit: a leap up from Wigan in terms of player quality and status in the game, and a chairman who wont panic and get shut to appease doubters if 'the project' started off on the wrong foot.

But while things are fine now, I can easily see friction in the future when Martinez is able to smell success but not able to taste it. He's in the middle of his second transfer window and surely under no illusion about restraints in the transfer market to achieve what he wants with us. I'm sure he'd like a happy medium between a megalomaniac billionaire and a financially limited paternalist owner like Kenwright. I dont think many are knocking about though.

Appreciate the response.

I don't think it'll ever get as hyper-analytical as the American sports, partly because of the culture, but mainly because it's a dynamic game that doesn't have nicely segmented plays where it's easy to pick out the individual actions. I actually think that's a little bit of a disadvantage for American players that come into football from a different background. They're so used to doing specific things that are meant to be the 'right play' or whatever, that they have difficulty playing with the freedom you need in a constantly changing playing environment. I've noticed it about the national team, you always look well organised and methodical, but it's rare that anyone's prepared to break ranks and do something they maybe haven't been told to do.

Agree. Football IQ is the most important skill in my opinion. Our coaching over here tends to be very English but even more so if that makes sense. The focus is all on winning at every level, rather than developing individual skill. And the best athletes tend to play the most. It's changing but takes a long time to see an impact.

Going to start listening to this now, whilst taking a 'phenomenal' count :)
26 minutes in, not heard it once.

The real Roberto, behind the media spectacle every person in the spotlight must put out, is even more passionate, more knowledgeable, more eloquent and more engaging than ever before.

I could listen to him spew platitudes all day, so this is just...well, phenomenal!

I think in football that clubs, fans, media are just starting to learn how to use statistics and then weight them properly. Almost like the early 2000's with baseball. Martinez referenced that the center backs last season averaged like 29 passes and now they are averaging 65. Passing stats, passing zones, heat charts, etc are all starting to be used (heck Moyes love using statistical analysis) but you cant be beholden to them. I think as fans its hard to know whats important and what is not important when it comes to statistical analysis. There just has not been enough done in that field or available to know what to do with what we do have to look at.

I think in football that clubs, fans, media are just starting to learn how to use statistics and then weight them properly. Almost like the early 2000's with baseball. Martinez referenced that the center backs last season averaged like 29 passes and now they are averaging 65. Passing stats, passing zones, heat charts, etc are all starting to be used (heck Moyes love using statistical analysis) but you cant be beholden to them. I think as fans its hard to know whats important and what is not important when it comes to statistical analysis. There just has not been enough done in that field or available to know what to do with what we do have to look at.

I know some people don't care about that stuff, but I enjoy it. And it deepens my knowledge, therefore deepening my love for the game. For me they go hand in hand.

I love how he talks about our youth team, really gives you hope for the future.

I think he is excited at the prospect of doing a Wenger (but properly, not poaching all of your youth players from other teams) and spending as little money as possible on transfers where youth can come in and do a job.

I love how he talks about our youth team, really gives you hope for the future.

I think he is excited at the prospect of doing a Wenger (but properly, not poaching all of your youth players from other teams) and spending as little money as possible on transfers where youth can come in and do a job.

Among many highlights, that was the best part for me. He specifically said we should be able to bring in 2 lads every 2 years to the first team.

Status
Not open for further replies.