Roberto's hour long interview

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wtf have I just listened to? What an absolute god this man will become to evertonians. As someone else said earlier I also started getting emotional towards the end, he just makes people remind themselves of how much they love our great club.

Just laughing there at the way Martinez stresses how he got the squad to the fittest they've ever been by constant use of the ball in pre-season training and contrasting it with Sergeant Major Moyes' boot camp......

article-1310025086251-0CE3658600000578-76759_466x310.jpg

...our players must feel like the peasants who emerged from the bonded slavery of feudalism into the age of enlightenment.

What strikes me is his absolute honesty and openness. So many managers just vomit the same old cliches, but he is willing to talk about everything.

I thought one of the best parts was talking about how this team "got it" within 7 weeks, whereas it took him 6 windows at Wigan to get to the same point. He really is willing to open the curtain on what it's really like.

I think that is rare over there. In the US, our media is much more focused on the nuts and bolts of strategy with so many ex-coaches and players, but it seems to me that much of British journos are more like gossip columnists. Also it seems like a lot of managers in Britain don't want to open up about anything other than the basics.

We're very fortunate to him. I just hope he stays long enough to cement his legend by winning a title and multiple cups.

Again, without turning this into an anti-Moyes thread, can you imagine our ex-gaffer doing something like that?

Never in a million years.

What strikes me is his absolute honesty and openness. So many managers just vomit the same old cliches, but he is willing to talk about everything.

I thought one of the best parts was talking about how this team "got it" within 7 weeks, whereas it took him 6 windows at Wigan to get to the same point. He really is willing to open the curtain on what it's really like.

I think that is rare over there. In the US, our media is much more focused on the nuts and bolts of strategy with so many ex-coaches and players, but it seems to me that much of British journos are more like gossip columnists. Also it seems like a lot of managers in Britain don't want to open up about anything other than the basics.

We're very fortunate to him. I just hope he stays long enough to cement his legend by winning a title and multiple cups.

Again, without turning this into an anti-Moyes thread, can you imagine our ex-gaffer doing something like that?

IIRC he did the same at Wigan: talked at length when he first arrived to representatives of fan groups in order to get the method and plan across.

It's very democratic and essential in this day and age when fans are so knowledgeable about the intricacies of the game - on and off the pitch.

He'll be one of the managers of his generation, perhaps THE manager under the right circumstances. There will be bumps in the road ahead, of course, but people need to hold their nerve and keep faith in him. As you say, if he stays here long enough we'll be very lucky and we'll also get the rewards. I have to say, I dont think he'll be here nearly as long as Moyes. If Kenwright et all cant provide the resources he'll be off to pastures new where they can give him cash + control.

I'll be the first one to admit that when we were linked with Roberto i wasn't too keen on him. The more i listen to him and the more i seen us play though i'm really getting excited about the prospect of us becoming a force in English football once again.

There were so many people who thought we'd end up with a manager like him as well.

Shame on them.

Giving our board's track record on other matters at least I can see why people feared the worst, but fair play to Bill on this one, regards appointing a manager he does seem to avoid the 'merry go round' unlike other chairman, our final 3 candidates were all progressive options very far away from the mark hughes sort of choice

Just laughing there at the way Martinez stresses how he got the squad to the fittest they've ever been by constant use of the ball in pre-season training and contrasting it with Sergeant Major Moyes' boot camp......

article-1310025086251-0CE3658600000578-76759_466x310.jpg

...our players must feel like the peasants who emerged from the bonded slavery of feudalism into the age of enlightenment.

I wonder if this will manifest in terms of the long-term fitness of the club against the season. In the last couple seasons we've only been able to perform up to our standards for about half the season. Maybe playing football to become fit for football, instead of going through these tough and exhausting exercises will take less of a toll on the players bodies and reduce the likelihood of injuries due to exhaustion.

A couple of things struck me in that interview, that gives an insight into his thinking on football, one was when he said that he would rather lose 1.0 playing like we did against Sunderland then win 1.0 with a goal from a random cross a knock down and a scrappy goal. The second was when talking about Osmans part in Sunderlands goal, football is all about risks he said, and you will gain more from taking risks than you will from not taking them, So people are going to have to get use to it, so lets all enjoy the ride because its certainly brightened up my dark cold winter Saturdays .

IIRC he did the same at Wigan: talked at length when he first arrived to representatives of fan groups in order to get the method and plan across.

It's very democratic and essential in this day and age when fans are so knowledgeable about the intricacies of the game - on and off the pitch.

He'll be one of the managers of his generation, perhaps THE manager under the right circumstances. There will be bumps in the road ahead, of course, but people need to hold their nerve and keep faith in him. As you say, if he stays here long enough we'll be very lucky and we'll also get the rewards. I have to say, I dont think he'll be here nearly as long as Moyes. If Kenwright et all cant provide the resources he'll be off to pastures new where they can give him cash + control.

Don't take this as starting an argument, because you know I respect you (I hope you do). But RM was very clear that if Kenwright hadn't been here (or basically to the effect that if a real fan/chairman wasn't here would he have come? "100% no") was his answer.

Just curious how you felt about that part? Bobby seems to have no issue with Kenwright. Neither did Moyes, although in part we can assume it was the low expectations and high salary. But I trust Martinez.

I've always thought that's weird as well, the secrecy of playing styles and strategies. I think British football in general bunkered down a little bit in the past few decades. For some reason talking tactics became unfashionable, despite the vast majority of the basic ideas that everybody uses originating here. Even now it's seen as a bit fancy and some managers try to make it seem revolutionary. It's changing very slowly on the TV coverage, now and then they do actually discuss things in a bit more depth than, "again, he's creating space with his run". And there are far more websites devoted to tactics than there used to be.

In the interview tho, Roberto still wouldn't say what the three things that went wrong for the Sunderland penalty were. Obviously you don't want to give anything away so it's understandable regardless, but I think some managers, even in the Premier League, are so stuck in their ways that they won't bother to try to work out how the opposition plays in any particular detail.

Status
Not open for further replies.