Roberto's hour long interview

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great interview. It gives you an insight into his footballing mind.
Loved how he talked about the youth setup, too.

We are in great hands.

Don't take this as starting an argument, because you know I respect you (I hope you do). But RM was very clear that if Kenwright hadn't been here (or basically to the effect that if a real fan/chairman wasn't here would he have come? "100% no") was his answer.

Just curious how you felt about that part? Bobby seems to have no issue with Kenwright. Neither did Moyes, although in part we can assume it was the low expectations and high salary. But I trust Martinez.

I can't see RM saying anything negative and revealing the frustrations to his ambition, but he clearly seems to prefer a club with tradition, devoted and knowledgable support, and a Chairman that is a supporter first. Not that he can't be wooed by a big money
club, but I'm optimistic that he'll enjoy his stay on Mersey for more than a short while.

Then again, maybe I'm being romanced by his words. He did suggest that he was near the end of his stay at Wigan, relegation or not.

I can't see RM saying anything negative and revealing the frustrations to his ambition, but he clearly seems to prefer a club with tradition, devoted and knowledgable support, and a Chairman that is a supporter first. Not that he can't be wooed by a big money
club, but I'm optimistic that he'll enjoy his stay on Mersey for more than a short while.

Then again, maybe I'm being romanced by his words. He did suggest that he was near the end of his stay at Wigan, relegation or not.

Yeah it's just ironic that for all his faults, if Kenwright wasn't here, we probably wouldn't have RM. As Dave said the ideal is a Kenwright type with real money. For instance, if I were to win a huge powerball lottery, I would be the perfect chairman.

This feller asking questions at the hour mark about whether Martinez's positivity is a 'strategy' and can he 'really be that way' (implying insincerity). Out of order that I think. The Catalan Maestro was uncomfortable dealing with it.

The people at that interview need to realise, they cannot phrase questions in a negative way and expect Martinez to reply thoroughly. Questions starting off with criticism of Moyes were given shorter shrift than you would've hoped.
You can see a clear division in reaction vs. proaction, however and that's something I find important. Playing good football should always be the starting aim because it's the best way to win, and by that same manner you can't surrender that in big games, you can't surrender the best way to win in big games because it scares you, it shouldn't scare you. It is the key to winning, because it's the best way. Keeping the ball at Old Trafford & the Emirates and committing men forward made us play excellent, gain 4 points and nearly win both games.

Anyone looking for a criticism of Moyes just had to read between the lines. By that, I don't mean RM was explicitly criticizing Moyes, he would never do that. But his answers about his philosophy and how he needed to change things was all you needed. The whole point about owning the club's history is a case in point. There's not point in doing it or saying it, if it had been that way before.

I've always thought that's weird as well, the secrecy of playing styles and strategies. I think British football in general bunkered down a little bit in the past few decades. For some reason talking tactics became unfashionable, despite the vast majority of the basic ideas that everybody uses originating here. Even now it's seen as a bit fancy and some managers try to make it seem revolutionary. It's changing very slowly on the TV coverage, now and then they do actually discuss things in a bit more depth than, "again, he's creating space with his run". And there are far more websites devoted to tactics than there used to be.

In the interview tho, Roberto still wouldn't say what the three things that went wrong for the Sunderland penalty were. Obviously you don't want to give anything away so it's understandable regardless, but I think some managers, even in the Premier League, are so stuck in their ways that they won't bother to try to work out how the opposition plays in any particular detail.

I think he means - 1. Howard passing to Osman, 2. Osman stepping on the ball, 3. Howard fouling the attacker

Status
Not open for further replies.