Roberto Martinez Shenanigans: All Reaction Here

How do you feel about the Roberto Martinez hiring?

• Great hire. He'll do better than Moyes.

Votes: 65 18.4%
  • Good hire. There were better available.

Votes: 116 32.9%
  • Meh

Votes: 59 16.7%
  • Wasn't the worst. Wasn't the best.

Votes: 96 27.2%
  • We're getting relegated.

Votes: 17 4.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Greg o'keeffe just retweeted this:
Carl Markham ‏@carlmarkham 6m
#WAFC chairman Dave Whelan says he's placed no restrictions on prospective #EFC boss Roberto Martinez returning to sign former players

Would like us to go for McCarthy think him and Gibson would be good together.

Ok fair point, I'll put it this way. Personally, I think Hughtons personal ambition is to be at the level he's at now, regardless of budgets and net spends etc he doesnt appear to have the gravitas to sit comfortably at the very top. Martinez appears to be a more self confident person to me. This could all count for nothing mind, its just my view. I'm rather hoping we've picked up the new young Brian Clough who can work miracles with very little, but am fully aware he could turn all Frank Bough.
yep agree with all that , atleast someone can debate and give an answer.
i say both of these are comparable becouse both have failed to promote from the championship , both have been in relegation battles also both have managed relegated clubs . i think hughton has a higher level of playing career and managed bigger clubs than martinez - spurs newcastle birmingham for eg.
hughton has a better win % than martinez. but then again he has had better players is an argument that can be had.
like i say i think there comparable and im surprised people can say martinez is the man for the job but not hughton.
and as for the backroom staff (in answer to critism i got last night) they failed to get swansea up , they got a team relegated . i think there appointment is questionable.
like i say , id back anyone who comes in , but i can have an opinion and doubts based on there past performances , especially after over 30 years of being an everton fan.
but we dont know how they will do but if there here ill give them every bit of backing to do well.

Mike Walker was much sucessful at Norwich than Martinez was at Wigan as well

I think chasing the premier league title and finishing 3rd trumps relegation

I don't like Mike Walker, but you have to be fair about these things

It was a different era to compare that is way out -MW made some bad signings and had a large transfer budget too - we have not so Martinez is a comparable replacement for DM he can work on a tight budget! Lets face it DM came from the championship too!

Greg o'keeffe just retweeted this:
Carl Markham ‏@carlmarkham 6m
#WAFC chairman Dave Whelan says he's placed no restrictions on prospective #EFC boss Roberto Martinez returning to sign former players

Would like us to go for McCarthy think him and Gibson would be good together.

Why do you think this mate?

I was glad Moyes left…remember all that negative football, negative substitutions, bottling it against the top 4 clubs? He took us as far as he could but built a really solid base for someone to work on.
Moyes didn't search the globe for the likes of Kevin Mirallas, his scouts did that and then he had the final say. Ok Robbie Cooke is probably going to Utd with him but the rest of the scouting network will remain.

Whoever the new manager is, be it Martinez or Pereira, they will get us playing better football than Moyes did.

Oh and Pereira has just rejected the Porto contract offer. Everton or Malaga it is then.

Everton agree Roberto Martinez compensation with Wigan

Everton have reached an agreement with Wigan over compensation for manager Roberto Martinez, who is expected to hold further talks with the Toffees.

The Spaniard, 39, is thought to have been Everton's first choice to replace David Moyes, who signed a six-year contract to manage Manchester United.

Martinez said last month he would leave Wigan after four years at the helm.

"Bill Kenwright [Everton chairman] and myself have agreed a deal," Wigan chairman Dave Whelan told BBC Sport.

"He can now talk to Everton, so he is free to do a deal if he wants."

Later on Monday, Everton said in a statement: "In response to regrettable and somewhat premature reports earlier this evening, Everton are continuing discussions with regards to the vacant managerial position.

"Whilst positive moves are being made, the club will officially announce details as and only when they are agreed and completed."

Martinez could be appointed in the next 48 hours and Whelan added that he thought the Toffees would be a good move for the Spaniard.

"His meeting with Everton last week had gone very well, he was probably in the last two or three on the list," added Whelan. "The chairman then rang me and we discussed the compensation deal, which was agreed this evening [Monday] at six o'clock.

"After leaving Wigan, I think Everton is the next stop of Roberto before he goes to the very, very top.

"Everton is run very similarly to Wigan, it's a family-run club, a friendly club with a great bunch of supporters. They're a bigger club than Wigan and it's a super club.

"I had a meeting with Roberto tonight, we are still very good friends and will be friends for the rest of our lives."

Last week, the Toffees were given permission to speak to Martinez following his request to leave the FA Cup winners after their eight-year Premier League stay came to an end last season.

After agreeing terms for his manager's release, Whelan's attention now switches to searching through the "30 people" that have applied to be Martinez's successor.

"I have not been able to interview any of the 30 people that have applied," Whelan said. "I did not want to jeopardise negotiations about compensation [for Martinez] and it would not have been fair to offer anyone the job when I was not in the clear.

"I would say that in football there are always good managers without a position. We have had some very good people apply for the job.

"There is no need for me to chase anyone. There are half a dozen top lads among those that have applied."

Martinez, who joined Wigan from Swansea in June 2009, was a target for Aston Villa in June 2011 but opted to stay. He was also strongly linked with the Liverpool job last summer.

In his first managerial role, Martinez guided Swansea to promotion to the Championship in 2008.

Then he joined Wigan - a team for whom he played for six years from 1995 - keeping the club in the Premier League for three seasons despite working with a lower budget than many of his rivals.

Under his reign, Wigan finished 16th twice and 15th before being relegated in 18th place this season, although the Latics continued to attract praise for their style of football.

Despite their relegation, Wigan's shock 1-0 FA Cup victory against Manchester City at Wembley means they will compete in next season's Europa League.

yep agree with all that , atleast someone can debate and give an answer.
i say both of these are comparable becouse both have failed to promote from the championship , both have been in relegation battles also both have managed relegated clubs . i think hughton has a higher level of playing career and managed bigger clubs than martinez - spurs newcastle birmingham for eg.
hughton has a better win % than martinez. but then again he has had better players is an argument that can be had.
like i say i think there comparable and im surprised people can say martinez is the man for the job but not hughton.
and as for the backroom staff (in answer to critism i got last night) they failed to get swansea up , they got a team relegated . i think there appointment is questionable.
like i say , id back anyone who comes in , but i can have an opinion and doubts based on there past performances , especially after over 30 years of being an everton fan.
but we dont know how they will do but if there here ill give them every bit of backing to do well.

Martinez got Swansea up from league one to the championship and bought their best defender in Ashley Williams, won FA cup with Wigan, also kept wigan up for 3 years despite the lowing the wages and the lowest transfer spending and is 15 years younger then Chris Hughton

Status
Not open for further replies.