Roberto Martinez Discussion - Including Live Poll (Poll Reset 1st May)

Martinez in or out?

• In

• Out

• Getting splinters eating cheese on toast on the fence

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
but we have 2 of the bottom 3 to play now. dont think they could logically think the title race is more important than the relegation battle.

Fair, I hadn't taken it to its logical conclusion but if RM was to leave, say, tomorrow, then it is a week before we play Sunderland and 11 days before Norwich, allowing plenty of time for any turmoil to settle down.

I don't understand the mad clamour for him to be sacked NOW... Why? What is the benefit?

The club are likely going to handle it quietly and with a degree of class and empathy for a man who deserves it. I don't want him to stay after this season but I don't see the point of sacking him right now.

Perhaps.

Or perhaps they're just riding the storm in the hope that an influx of new players over the summer will appease us.

Bobby can be quite persuasive and remember, it was his brand of football that wooed us all in the first place. I'm sure he's argued that he just needs the right players to make it work; perhaps he's right. I just don't want us to be the guinea pig.
He has certainly been extremely bullish in his comments in the week following the semi. At this stage, I think it's time for him and us to move on, but I wouldn't be surprised if he managed to persuade the board to give him another season. If that happens, I expect a serious clear out in the summer: some of it a product of players not wanting to play for Martinez for another season. I think a lot depends on whether Moshiri wants to work incrementally or whether he wants to take bold action. From his perspective, I can see the logic of both approaches. Frankly, I'm at the point now that I think keeping Martinez will do more harm than good: fractured fan base, players who need something spectacular to retain them, league form getting worse rather than better. And I realize that this is highly speculative, but there just seems something up in the camp: like they're a lot of players whose heads have dropped and don't seem to be playing for him anymore.

Yip.

It is all any of us could, indeed should, be doing.

If the board sticks by him then come August it will be a clean slate for Roberto in my eyes.

Please don't screw up your second chance, Bobby.

I agree, as in we can't control it so might as well get behind him if it happens. But I think it would be his third chance rather than his second.

Let's hope it doesn't come to that anyway.

I wonder if Leicester winning the title will help speed up matters. Had our game there on Saturday mattered in terms of the Leicester/Spurs outcome then we were never going to turn up with a caretaker boss and face scrutiny from the world's media wondering if our turmoil would help Leicester to an easy win. Not a problem now and no one would begrudge us making the decision this week.
Yeah, good point. We may have been accused of being unprofessional, sort of like fielding a weakened team....I know I know.
Not sure it's had any bearing on the decision though, I'm pretty sure whatever is going to happen has already been decided one way or the other. One thing is for certain though, no manager, whatever team they manage, has anywhere to hide now. Once it was the so called big boys with the bottomless pits of money who were trying to outdo each other, now Leicester have proved that anyone, whatever the circumstances, can do it and chairmen up and down the country will be looking closely at the situation. It's blown a hole in the myth that nobody out of the top 4 or 5 will ever win the league again. A lot of managers will be feeling the pressure now from upstairs and that can only be good for the game.

W
I don't understand the mad clamour for him to be sacked NOW... Why? What is the benefit?

The club are likely going to handle it quietly and with a degree of class and empathy for a man who deserves it. I don't want him to stay after this season but I don't see the point of sacking him right now.
Would be curious if 1. season ticket renewals are down; 2. this would be a factor in his sacking. At some level, the club is a going concern.

Good point - I think I mentioned earlier that steadily and slowly since the success of the 80's our expectations have fallen drastically to the point where NSNO means nothing, especially to our younger fans who may have only seen the cup win in '95 as some success, and although the Moyes years steadied the ship somewhat, we only had that '05 season when we qualified for the CL as anyhing to cheer. Moyes was past his sell by date when RM arrived, and the Boards inertia over the years hindered any progress we may have made. As a result the EFC fanbase is so frustrated imo with the fact that we are going backwards, and therefore we do need a change of attitude in how we want the club to progress. Are we prepared to accept mid and lower table finishes under RM or should we as fans demand more? OK so if the "new rules" means NSNO properly then we will have to be ruthless as a club in who we employ both on and off the pitch, and for me this means RM going as a start and a chance to aim higher than we have been. Renewed my ST today as I am optimistic that we as a club CAN progress with new money coming in and a fresh approach from a new manager - lets get rid of the term "plucky little Everton" once and for all.

I don't know exactly what to expect under the new regime but I honestly believe that it cannot be any worse than what we are seeing now. It's mind-numbing stuff. I have supported Everton through the relegation fights and all the lean years but this season is the first time that I have lost my appetite for football. I wanted someone to take over from Moyes and break through that so-called glass ceiling. RM talked a good game but ultimately he has failed. Miserably. We have definitely been going backwards and anyone who loves the club should not be listening to people who imply that we should be grateful for what we have or that we should know and accept our place in the pecking order. It's nonsense.

I don't have a sense of entitlement. I just want to look forward to watching Everton again. I want to see passion from our players and fans again and to see us being competitive against the big guns and whipping teams who deserve to be whipped:D. No, we didn't beat the big teams regularly under Moyes but we didn't roll over and get our tummies tickled by all and sundry either, especially at home.

Nothing personal, but Bobby has to go. I can't stand the thought of having him at this club for another season. Another season of listening to him talking utter tripe. Does he think we are stupid?!

Status
Not open for further replies.