Roberto Martinez Discussion - Including Live Poll (Poll Reset 1st May)

Martinez in or out?

• In

• Out

• Getting splinters eating cheese on toast on the fence

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Never known opinion divided so much. Huge optimist and I really hope Martinez will turn it around - however, after the take over replacing Martinez worries me in the sense that 1) need to keep this squad together, don't fancy spending bucket loads just to recruit the next managers' personal favs, also having seen so many monied teams bring in new managers only for them to spend loads and achieve little part just wants to let Martinez learn and improve.

That said, I think really successful people, the kind who become billionaires, are not know for their patients and more result like this will see Martinez replaced at the end of the season in my view.

Yeah....IF.

Shouldn't be in a position where it's going to be an uphill struggle to reach such lofty heights ffs.

How long's he been managing for now? How long here?

For finishing ONE position higher than the season before? Oh yeah, it's improvement, innit?

Mr-Testicles-of-rhe-Male--011.jpg

It's a big if but it's hard to judge is until we have played the same number of games as those around us, as it's not a fair comparison.

A top 10 finish would be a bare minimum for me. We all have to draw a line somewhere and 10th I suppose is my bottom line. In terms of league positioning it's a negligible improvement. Do you not think we have improved a lot in terms of style this season? I think we are far better, but we are still incredibly naive. That is the big question for me, can Martinex overcome this.

As for winning 8, definitely a big claim. We have won 5 of our last 7 I think. I know it's a big if (and frankly it should have been won anyway, had it not been for poor substitutions) but I do think that would be 6 out of 7 had it been 11 V 11 yesterday.

I am not making excuses, we shoot ourselves in the foot and there is no excuses, but for me it's not that big a claim. We have played City, Spurs, West Ham & Chelsea who I regard as 4 our the hardest 5 or 6 games. We've not been outplayed by any of them. We have a good run in and in my positive head I can't see any if them getting near to us if we play to our best (Leicester aside).

I think back to Swansea & West Brom though and I wonder if we'll ever win a game at Goodison again! So we'll have to see. I don't know if people's position is sack Martinez tomorrow. I don't really agree with that and can't see it being a sensible move. We will be reviewed at the end of the season. It's not Martinez is at any cost, but it could go either way.

What would you want for Martinez to keep his job in the summer?

My sanity gets questioned loads on here of late. However, I'm the one saying Martinez has the support of the club and players and its borne out in reality, while the people accusing me of madness are holding onto straws that he hasn't and is about to be sacked.
I find it strange you find no fault with the clown when the vast majority want him out.
I worry also about some of your latest statements saying its ok to finish mid table with a cup semi thrown in
I don't think your insane i think you are on the wind up.

It's a big if but it's hard to judge is until we have played the same number of games as those around us, as it's not a fair comparison.

A top 10 finish would be a bare minimum for me. We all have to draw a line somewhere and 10th I suppose is my bottom line. In terms of league positioning it's a negligible improvement. Do you not think we have improved a lot in terms of style this season? I think we are far better, but we are still incredibly naive. That is the big question for me, can Martinex overcome this.

As for winning 8, definitely a big claim. We have won 5 of our last 7 I think. I know it's a big if (and frankly it should have been won anyway, had it not been for poor substitutions) but I do think that would be 6 out of 7 had it been 11 V 11 yesterday.

I am not making excuses, we shoot ourselves in the foot and there is no excuses, but for me it's not that big a claim. We have played City, Spurs, West Ham & Chelsea who I regard as 4 our the hardest 5 or 6 games. We've not been outplayed by any of them. We have a good run in and in my positive head I can't see any if them getting near to us if we play to our best (Leicester aside).

I think back to Swansea & West Brom though and I wonder if we'll ever win a game at Goodison again! So we'll have to see. I don't know if people's position is sack Martinez tomorrow. I don't really agree with that and can't see it being a sensible move. We will be reviewed at the end of the season. It's not Martinez is at any cost, but it could go either way.

What would you want for Martinez to keep his job in the summer?

Need to finish Top 8 and beat a "big" club in the process. A derby win at Anfield and a top 8 finish would save him.

*Stands and applauds*

100% spot on. Warts'n'all you've captured this season right there.

The big worry for me, is if Martinez is capable of managing a top club to success. The new Owner is a big game changer potentially, it's not Kenwright anymore.

He has never really been at a big club before Everton. Always at clubs who if we are honest where happy to have him bring them a philosophy. Have him struggle for most of the season to win a handful of unexpected games. Who'd be happy to attack sides like West Ham when they are down to 10 men and lose as a result.

This won't wash with Everton indefinitely though. We have to turn good football into good results. In honesty this is not the worst place to be in. I have doubts whether he can do it or not though. He has never "won ugly" and needs to learn to do this.

Do you think is too harsh? Do you think he has this in him? I just think we lack a bit of ruthlessness.

The war is nearly won plotters thanks to our main man roberto.
The cultists are in hiding and king davek is staring out of his window wishing he was in our camp.
The day is near when our new owner will do the decent thing and kick out el coco

I don't agree, he changed the tactics immediately, I distinctly remember marveling at Jags passing it around his own box under pressure thst year thinking apparently you can teach an old dog new tricks. It's the same back four anyway, without Distin who was the weakest link anyway at that point.

No, I don't agree with that assessment at all. It doesn’t make any sense.
You know very little about football my freind

The war is nearly won plotters thanks to our main man roberto.
The cultists are in hiding and king davek is staring out of his window wishing he was in our camp.
The day is near when our new owner will do the decent thing and kick out el coco
There's a huge vat of koolaid to be drunk and he was sure he was gonna waltz out the backdoor as the acolytes guzzled it down but he's becoming increasingly isolated and beginning to realise that he's gonna end up gulping it all down himself. He's rattled for sure.

There's a huge vat of koolaid to be drunk and he was sure he was gonna waltz out the backdoor as the acolytes guzzled it down but he's becoming increasingly isolated and beginning to realise that he's gonna end up gulping it all down himself. He's rattled for sure.
I feel for him he is even saying he would be happy with us finishing mid table,what has roberto done to his brain

If we won the cup you wouldn't be able to sack him. Also we would have beaten Chelsea and probably Arsenal to win it.
Winning the cup is just a smokescreen. Winning a few games spread out across a season (often vs lower league sides) is not a good barometer for managerial performance. You can only be judged on your week in, week out performance in the pressure.

Status
Not open for further replies.