Our midfield

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it me, or do people generally regard Naismith as a striker? I thought we signed him to play in that #10 position to try and create the chances for Jelavic? He's undoubtedly got a good football brain and a nice touch. Maybe he could fill in that role now and then.

I don't think we're bad off for numbers at all:

Gibson, Barry, Besic, McCarthy + youngsters offer plenty of options in the holding positions
Pienaar, McGeady, Barkley, Mirallas, Osman, Naismith + youngsters is 2 for each of the attacking midfield positions, and of course that's discounting Oviedo as an option. In terms of numbers we're fine, but I think a bit of extra quality in the attacking positions would be great, especially out wide, unless Kennedy or someone can progress this year.
I don't think we really signed him for any particular position... It was more of a circumstantial transfer... We needed bodies, he was free, half decent... If the whole rangers thing didn't happen I doubt we would have ever approached him... That was just my feeling anyway..... But I do agree he should be in the hole, especially with his runs Into the box... He has great positional awareness

Our midfield and defence is looking very nearly complete, not much at all missing from the squad at all. I think we can spend the rest of our money on a striker that can get double figures, Naismith, Kone, Mirallas, Barkey and the rest will score a few as well.

Besic, McCarthy, Gibson and Barry gives us some interesting options, not only as in who starts but giving us the ability to play different formations as well.

Last edited:
Our midfield and defence is looking very nearly complete, not much at all missing from the squad at all. I think we can spend the rest of our money on a striker that can get double figures, Naismith, Kone, Mirallas, Barkey and the rest will score a few as well.

Jags and Distin partnership always has a weakness under the deep cross and long straight ball. No surprise to me that our best form last season came with Stones in the team. Should be Stones and one other preferably Jags as the first choice pairing. Unless Besic can cover, I still feel we need another cb.

Genuinely excited by this side/squad taking shape. It is young, talented, pacey, a bit snidey in places, (in a good way!). With Rom topping it off, *prays a bit*, and some odds and sods popping in, or up from the kids, you just never know.......

Jags and Distin partnership always has a weakness under the deep cross and long straight ball. No surprise to me that our best form last season came with Stones in the team. Should be Stones and one other preferably Jags as the first choice pairing. Unless Besic can cover, I still feel we need another cb.

Maybe, from what I can tell Besic should be able to help the defence out. I haven't seen much of Duffy and Browning but maybe they could step up?

We do have a great balanced midfield however like others have said we do need a proper number 10 when teams are hard to break down. Firmino would be a perfect player but he would cost a lot of dollar. I think we should maybe try McGeady in the hole as we can see from fulham away last season when he played that perfect throught ball to mirallas. He could be the answer to gain a few point this season

Barkley needs to step up, also agree we would be boss if we had another creative midfielder,
Besic seems to me a good DM,but isn't a best passer of the ball

Out of all the midfielders mentioned only 3 are under 25, agree with you on most of it but I'd like to see a couple of youth guys bumped up to get the help off the likes of barry anf osman etc

Four actually and I think the age is split up very evenly among our midfielders, four under 25s, three 25-28 year-olds and three more 30+ guys. I believe this is an ideal mix, there might be some youngsters playing in the league cup or against inferior Europa League opponents though.

Status
Not open for further replies.