Our midfield

Status
Not open for further replies.
Little off topic here sorry, read that article and then read a few of the older ones, well worth the read articulate and insightful.

We need a playmaker, a Hazard type who makes things happen and can play a killer through ball. Then we'd have a great midfield.

It's exactly what we need. Too many of our central midfielders aren't creative nor do they score anywhere near enough goals.

As good as we all hope Ledson will one day be, a 16yr won't get a run over Lundstram who isn't even mentioned.
I'll believe the whole Baines to midfield when I see it, and see it work! Based on loose comments made last yr and a comparison to Lahm.

We have solid defensive mids but lack a quality, goal scoring, box to box player, as well as an attacking mid to support Barkley.

Midfield is boss there is no doubt but without a striker that scores 15 or so a season, I dont think we'll get near to 5th this season.

Naismith and Kone just arent 15 goal a season strikers (which we all know)

After the arrival of our new mate Besic I can't help but think we have one the most complete midfields in the league.

Other sides may have bigger names and individuals but as a unit ours is fluid, interchangeable and has the best mix of defensive rigidity and attacking threat.

Mad to think just ten or so years ago we boasted the likes of Pembridge, Gemmill, Linderoth, Alexandersson, Tal etc...

I mean look at the options we have - Barkley, Miralllas, McCarthy, Barry, Besic, Gibson, McGeady, Pienaar, Oviedo, Osman....

Its obvious we are not going to kick off without signing a top striker, that would be gross mis-management. So anyone not excited by the season ahead may want to re-think.

We are boss.
I haven't even mentioned Baines, Coleman, Jags and Stones!
Out of all the midfielders mentioned only 3 are under 25, agree with you on most of it but I'd like to see a couple of youth guys bumped up to get the help off the likes of barry anf osman etc

this is the season for barkley to show us consistently he can be our number 10 he has it all, just needs to take a grip of games and start dominating teams on a regular basis, saying that gerrard wasnt a prolific goal scorer in the league took him about 7/8 seasons before he hit 10 league goals in a season, barkley will develop that side of his game more in time, we have to put our trust in him now and let him off the leash

It will be interesting to see how Barkley does this year. He was a bit inconsistent last year, and with his England breakthrough there won't be any sides failing to prepare for him. Hopefully he'll continue progressing and both add to his game and avoid the second season slump.

I think if Pienaar was playing at the level he was a few years ago then I'd feel a lot happier with the midfield. As it is I agree that we could do with a playmaker to take the strain of Barkley.

Is it me, or do people generally regard Naismith as a striker? I thought we signed him to play in that #10 position to try and create the chances for Jelavic? He's undoubtedly got a good football brain and a nice touch. Maybe he could fill in that role now and then.

I don't think we're bad off for numbers at all:

Gibson, Barry, Besic, McCarthy + youngsters offer plenty of options in the holding positions
Pienaar, McGeady, Barkley, Mirallas, Osman, Naismith + youngsters is 2 for each of the attacking midfield positions, and of course that's discounting Oviedo as an option. In terms of numbers we're fine, but I think a bit of extra quality in the attacking positions would be great, especially out wide, unless Kennedy or someone can progress this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.