Our midfield

Status
Not open for further replies.
After the arrival of our new mate Besic I can't help but think we have one the most complete midfields in the league.

Other sides may have bigger names and individuals but as a unit ours is fluid, interchangeable and has the best mix of defensive rigidity and attacking threat.

Mad to think just ten or so years ago we boasted the likes of Pembridge, Gemmill, Linderoth, Alexandersson, Tal etc...

I mean look at the options we have - Barkley, Miralllas, McCarthy, Barry, Besic, Gibson, McGeady, Pienaar, Oviedo, Osman....

Its obvious we are not going to kick off without signing a top striker, that would be gross mis-management. So anyone not excited by the season ahead may want to re-think.

We are boss.
I haven't even mentioned Baines, Coleman, Jags and Stones!

We need a playmaker, a Hazard type who makes things happen and can play a killer through ball. Then we'd have a great midfield.

It does look good, more versatility that's for sure. We can't compete financially with the so called 'bigger' clubs, but I like to dream that at some point a club such as ours will win silverware through steady building and nurture, rather than throwing cash down the toilet like our neighbours.

We lack an accomplished no. 10 which is why our midfield is some way off chelsea's, cities and arsenals. Best double pivot in the league by a long way (maybe not chelseas now they have matic and fabregas), but the lack of a proper creative midfielder means we are a long way off having the most complete midfield in the league

Agree with @zirc. The main problem is that Pienaar and Osman are our playmakers. Read somewhere that LvG have to many playmakers in United, I would take Kagawa please.

Can Barkley not be that number 10?

He is capable of scoring ten a season easily a la Slippy G in his prime. With his bursting runs, deceptive pace and shooting ability surely his best position is an advanced midfielder? We have cover defensively.

Our midfield is looking really balanced, hope Besic is a good all-rounder a bit like McCarthy. It would be nice if McGeady turns out to be quality too.

Can Barkley not be that number 10?

He is capable of scoring ten a season easily a la Slippy G in his prime. With his bursting runs, deceptive pace and shooting ability surely his best position is an advanced midfielder? We have cover defensively.
He's more of a dribbler who can take defenders on and draw them off the striker, don't think playing the final ball in to a forward is his thing (yet, at least)

We definitely need another attacking option. But I'm sure Roberto has something in mind. Nice to have so much depth in CM for a change though!

It would be nice if McGeady turns out to be quality too.

Now I know I said you were a tad negative before but over-compensating for it isn't good for you either!

Being serious though, I'd like to think that too but I have seen him play for Celtic many a time on Irish TV, against less-than inspiring defenders, granted, and in the beginning he looked great then he faded a bit and he never totally impressed. He did play well in his last friendly appearance for Ireland but his final ball was somewhat lacking.

Status
Not open for further replies.