Moyes knows his time with Everton is up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Moyes is an excellent manager. He's extremely reactionary in his tactics and maybe a bit old-school in his approach but he is undoubtedly one of the league's better managers.
That being said he did fantastically getting us out of troubled waters and into calmer seas, but that's not to say he's therefore the right man to now push onwards.
he knows this, and he will leave. has he dealt with this the right way? probably not. But i imagine he was hoping to just have the season tick on successfully as opposed to him announcing his plans to leave and have the media eulogizing "the end of an era" at the start of every gameweek..

He did this with his last contract.

I personally hope he goes, I've wanted him to move on for 3 years now and only the 1st few months of this season made me think he had learnt and maybe I was wrong. I wasn't, all the same problems still exist and a change is needed.

I would be delighted if the man who replaced him is Martinez.

This time its a different situation that both he and the club find themselves in. I agree about Martinez being given a chance when Moyes goes in that he is the polar opposite to the latter in terms of footballing style and one could further argue that emerging playing style and the formations he incorporates are more in keeping with Everton's traditions.

Moyes is an excellent manager. He's extremely reactionary in his tactics and maybe a bit old-school in his approach but he is undoubtedly one of the league's better managers.
That being said he did fantastically getting us out of troubled waters and into calmer seas, but that's not to say he's therefore the right man to now push onwards.
he knows this, and he will leave. has he dealt with this the right way? probably not. But i imagine he was hoping to just have the season tick on successfully as opposed to him announcing his plans to leave and have the media eulogizing "the end of an era" at the start of every gameweek..

I personally thought he'd walk last Summer but he clearly felt this team was worth persevering with for another year in the hope they could land a cup/top4 finish. It hasn't worked out like that and he's now stuck between a rock and a hard place.

I expect him to announce he's leaving late April, but carry on until the season ends. Hope he gets a brilliant send off against West Ham if that is indeed his last home game.

This time its a different situation that both he and the club find themselves in. I agree about Martinez being given a chance when Moyes goes in that he is the polar opposite to the latter in terms of footballing style and one could further argue that emerging playing style and the formations he incorporates are more in keeping with Everton's traditions.

I know people that support Wigan who will tell you that their style of football is beyond infuriating.

When Moyes gets his teams playing the way he ideally wants I find us brilliant to watch. No passing the ball to death, just direct attacking football with real energy. Obviously this has been sacrificed many times in favour of a style that's less pleasing on the eye but more capable of getting results.

Are we really playing to the full extent of our players ability ?
Or, are we playing to the full extent of our managers ability ?

Could a different manager get more from our players ?
If our present manager had given more players some game time would we now be in a better position with more players ready to step into the first team rather than the same fourteen or fifteen the manager favours ?

I would be sad to see him go. Some of the most exciting and happiest moments of my football fandom have come from watching his Everton team (Beating Man United in the cup semi, The derby wins, the match with Stoke where he got sent to the stands). This is the best I've ever known it (Am too young to remember the Kendall days in the 80's)

Would be upsetting and a tad scary should he eventually choose to leave, especially when there isn't a replacement waiting in the wings that I'm fully confident in (Not buying the Martinez stuff I'm afraid)

Sad times :(

Alas young Mikey....do you not remember the mid 1990s? Joe Royle's first game in charge...a win over Liverpool, followed by consecutive wins over Chelsea and Leeds (in Mike Walkers previous 15 games we had lost 9 and only won 1 and in Royle's first 15 games we lost three and then won the cup that season too). The 80s were of course rather good too so it's a shame you were too young for those...I was just old enough and remember them well (ish).

Are we really playing to the full extent of our players ability ?
Or, are we playing to the full extent of our managers ability ?

Could a different manager get more from our players ?
If our present manager had given more players some game time would we now be in a better position with more players ready to step into the first team rather than the same fourteen or fifteen the manager favours ?

Exactly.

One side of the fence will be "he's got everything out of the players"
The other side would be "He hasnt and cant figure a way to get more out of them"

I would be sad to see him go. Some of the most exciting and happiest moments of my football fandom have come from watching his Everton team (Beating Man United in the cup semi, The derby wins, the match with Stoke where he got sent to the stands).

the..derby wins? if those are the highlights that's not exactly a whole lot to be excited for over the last 11 years honestly.

Was it Del who earlier said he is off to Celtic?

That actually would make sence imo...

But I love Moyes, cant help it.

-does he enjoy being here anymore?

Thats the question i have been wondering lately..

yep can see him using that as a stepping stone really. go there and walk the league while trying to impress in the champions league enough to get a move to a bigger club

The way that league is it would be a massive step backwards IMO . However its obviously an easy step to instant silverware though. So yes, can see it.

really like David. I rate him very highly as a manager and just as much as a person. He never shirks a question: he's straightforward and honest to the core.

Perhaps that's why I shy away from asking anything that might embarrass him.

Though I've felt for quite a while that he and Everton might be going separate ways – what more can he do there? – I've never put him on the spot.

Instead, when we met up, I shook his hand and said it's terrific the way Everton are sitting high up in the Premier League.

"Yes Alan," he replied. "But we're playing right to our limit."

I thought it a somewhat downbeat assessment of their position, but maybe David had a premonition of what was to happen on Saturday at Goodison Park.

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/s...ows-his-time-with-everton-is-up-29123618.html

What a load of crap. We've got a smaller squad than some but it's not like we use 11 men a season. There's been plenty of chances for him to rest tired players and give younger, fresher players a chance.

Players like Lampard have been playing 55-60 games a season and performing week in&out for the past decade. We haven't been playing to our limit at all and if the players are physically at their limit then perhaps the style and tone of our training sessions needs to be altered so we peak at game time.

This reeks of a man with a defeatist attitude getting his excuses out in advance.

What a load of crap. We've got a smaller squad than some but it's not like we use 11 men a season. There's been plenty of chances for him to rest tired players and give younger, fresher players a chance.

Players like Lampard have been playing 55-60 games a season and performing week in&out for the past decade. We haven't been playing to our limit at all and if the players are physically at their limit then perhaps the style and tone of our training sessions needs to be altered so we peak at game time.

This reeks of a man with a defeatist attitude getting his excuses out in advance.

Surely the man who trains the team day in and day out is in a better position to judge the players mentally and physically.

I think he's speaking the inconvenient truth, we've been unable to drastically change the squad for several years now and we are becoming over reliant on Baines, Pienaar, Jagielka and Fellaini - they're all great players but we can't expect them all to perform at the highest level every week.

Status
Not open for further replies.