Martinez - Wigan point of view

Status
Not open for further replies.
Martinez bought his wife a bunch of Red roses for valentines day and had them painted blue.

Honestly a true story. That's when I fell in love with him.

Once, when I was fishing off the coast of England as a young lad, my father and I were caught up in a giant storm. Our small boat was blown to and fro, and we sincerely believed that it was the end. As the rain poured into the boat, something beneath gave way and the entire hull seemed to crack, hastening our inevitable plunge into the icy black waters. I offered a last ditch prayer, as was always my youthful way in times of need, and at the moment of 'Amen', a glorious beam of light shone down from the heavens upon us. It was Roberto Martinez, piloting a helicopter and sending forth the searchlight upon our failing faces. Roberto managed to put the chopper in a strange sort of holding pattern before donning a wetsuit, securing himself to cables inside the chopper, and personally diving out of the machine toward us. We gasped. As Bobby wrapped his 9-foot wingspan around us both and hoisted us, hand over hand, upward to safety, I shouted aloud, for all the world to hear, "It is enough. Thank God for Roberto Martinez." The warm feeling that washed over my frigid body as Roberto--pausing a moment while serving us hot chocolate and cakes in order to pin a pair of captain's wings (or was it an armband?) on my tear- and ocean-soaked shirt--never left me. When he finally descended into the parking lot where our old Ford was parked, he shook our hands, recited a poem about football, fishing, and fathers, and took off again, presumably to rescue a puppy in danger.

Now, my dad disputes it, since it was so many years ago, long before Roberto took over at our beloved club, but I swear to this day that, as the helicopter rose up into the setting sunlight, it took on the royal blue colors of Everton.

Once, when I was fishing off the coast of England as a young lad, my father and I were caught up in a giant storm. Our small boat was blown to and fro, and we sincerely believed that it was the end. As the rain poured into the boat, something beneath gave way and the entire hull seemed to crack, hastening our inevitable plunge into the icy black waters. I offered a last ditch prayer, as was always my youthful way in times of need, and at the moment of 'Amen', a glorious beam of light shone down from the heavens upon us. It was Roberto Martinez, piloting a helicopter and sending forth the searchlight upon our failing faces. Roberto managed to put the chopper in a strange sort of holding pattern before donning a wetsuit, securing himself to cables inside the chopper, and personally diving out of the machine toward us. We gasped. As Bobby wrapped his 9-foot wingspan around us both and hoisted us, hand over hand, upward to safety, I shouted aloud, for all the world to hear, "It is enough. Thank God for Roberto Martinez." The warm feeling that washed over my frigid body as Roberto--pausing a moment while serving us hot chocolate and cakes in order to pin a pair of captain's wings (or was it an armband?) on my tear- and ocean-soaked shirt--never left me. When he finally descended into the parking lot where our old Ford was parked, he shook our hands, recited a poem about football, fishing, and fathers, and took off again, presumably to rescue a puppy in danger.

Now, my dad disputes it, since it was so many years ago, long before Roberto took over at our beloved club, but I swear to this day that, as the helicopter rose up into the setting sunlight, it took on the royal blue colors of Everton.

I sincerely hope this is a RAWK parody. If so, it's brilliant. ;)

My dads mate works as a driver for the club and under Moyes you couldn't go into certain areas as the driver he said. He done the same under Martinez until one day Martinez seen him and asked why he was sitting in that car park or place, can't remember exactly where he said but not further into the ground. The lad said back that he wasn't allowed... As he said it Martinez interrupted him and said something like "No, no, you work for Everton, you're a part of Everton. You can go where you want"

Then every time he drives Martinez somewhere when he gets out he always asks if he wants anything signed for himself or friend/family.

The lid said Moyes was never like that.
Fabric of Everton - Martinez really gets that it is not just the players on the pitch that make us the club that we are.

My dads mate works as a driver for the club and under Moyes you couldn't go into certain areas as the driver he said. He done the same under Martinez until one day Martinez seen him and asked why he was sitting in that car park or place, can't remember exactly where he said but not further into the ground. The lad said back that he wasn't allowed... As he said it Martinez interrupted him and said something like "No, no, you work for Everton, you're a part of Everton. You can go where you want"

Then every time he drives Martinez somewhere when he gets out he always asks if he wants anything signed for himself or friend/family.

The lid said Moyes was never like that.

Hmmm, something doesn't add up in all of this. In fact, a lot of things don't. Not calling you a liar, just makes about as much sense as a fish and jam butty.

Who and what does he drive around? Where does he take them? Where can he take his car once he gets to the car park at the ground?

Your second to last sentence implies that he drives Martinez around, yet it was only "one day Martinez seen him and asked why he was sitting in that car park or place, can't remember exactly where he said but not further into the ground"

Care to elaborate mate? I'm not being hostile, but that whole comment is one of the most nonsensical things I've ever read.

Last edited:
My mate is a pilot. Flies both moyes and bobby about.

He has bobby direct line and even got xmas present from him. Says he is one of the nicest people he has met.

Said moyes is either v nice or v miserable.

Martinez bought his wife a bunch of Red roses for valentines day and had them painted blue.

If true. He's a hero and no fraud. One of the rare decent folk.

No envelopes or enormous pictures of himself hanging up outside his office. As shown on reality tv by another Premier League manager.

I'm currently on an internship with Wigan Warriors, and the guy who's giving me some experiece was in charge of 'Latics Player' (basically their everton tv equivilent). Anyway the media manager of a club generally spends a lot of time with the manager doing interviews and what not, so I thought I'd ask what he is like behind the scenes.

I asked if Martinez is the same off camera as he is when on it, he said 150%. He's such an intelligent person who absolutely adores football has a mind that can absorb information and memories without an apparent limit. He said you could mention football to him and he would be happy to speak for hours.

A really genuine, passionate man who puts himself into everything and prides himself on playing proper football. He told me that he's been editing clips of Bobby in the past and Martinez would walk in behind him and tell him exact what happened next in every single clip. He doesn't believe in sitting back, no matter who Martinez is up against he will always go for the win, if we're 1-0 up and going for the league, he will still try for the second goal.

-

The man is considered a legend for Wigan, a tiny club in reality who have won an FA cup. All Wigan fans put down the relegation to the fact they were missing their best defenders for most of the season, and that if they had them Martinez would have kept them up. He told me how close Wigan actually were to getting John Stones and that they even shirt printed ready to parade but for a last minute change to Everton.

-

Just thought I'd share this, I know we have all seen it with him as our manager, but thought I'd pass it on as I was very proud that we have a man who, whilst loved by the media and acts very professional, is the same man behind the scenes and is loved by everybody for his intelligence, his passion for the game.

Also love the fact that Martinez gave me my player of the season trophy when I was 7 playing for u11's ! (17 years ago!)

Oh and Martinez believed when McCarthy signed for Wigan he would go on to be Wigans first £10m pound british player.

Paralegal ?

I like Martinez. Didn't want him here on 2013. To my eternal shame. Measure of the man he won everyone inside of a month.

Barring @MoutsGoat who still hasn't gotten over us missing out on Moutinho obviously

This just made me cry....think we should all send bobby blue roses for valentines day.

Hmmm, something doesn't add up in all of this. In fact, a lot of things don't. Not calling you a liar, just makes about as much sense as a fish and jam butty.

Who and what does he drive around? Where does he take them? Where can he take his car once he gets to the car park at the ground?

Your second to last sentence implies that he drives Martinez around, yet it was only "one day Martinez seen him and asked why he was sitting in that car park or place, can't remember exactly where he said but not further into the ground"

Care to elaborate mate? I'm not being hostile, but that whole comment is one of the most nonsensical things I've ever read.

Behave.

If true. He's a hero and no fraud. One of the rare decent folk.

No envelopes or enormous pictures of himself hanging up outside his office. As shown on reality tv by another Premier League manager.

100% true. We live right near them. My missus knows Bobbys missus through work and chat a lot. Unfortunately this is about the most 'ITK' information I've ever managed to extract!

Everyone loves him, even on rawk they think he's the dog's bollocks and hate the fact he's managing us. They console themselves with the idea that he'll be moving on to a bigger club soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.