Martinez - Wigan point of view

Status
Not open for further replies.

andy4efc

Player Valuation: £60m
I'm currently on an internship with Wigan Warriors, and the guy who's giving me some experiece was in charge of 'Latics Player' (basically their everton tv equivilent). Anyway the media manager of a club generally spends a lot of time with the manager doing interviews and what not, so I thought I'd ask what he is like behind the scenes.

I asked if Martinez is the same off camera as he is when on it, he said 150%. He's such an intelligent person who absolutely adores football has a mind that can absorb information and memories without an apparent limit. He said you could mention football to him and he would be happy to speak for hours.

A really genuine, passionate man who puts himself into everything and prides himself on playing proper football. He told me that he's been editing clips of Bobby in the past and Martinez would walk in behind him and tell him exact what happened next in every single clip. He doesn't believe in sitting back, no matter who Martinez is up against he will always go for the win, if we're 1-0 up and going for the league, he will still try for the second goal.

-

The man is considered a legend for Wigan, a tiny club in reality who have won an FA cup. All Wigan fans put down the relegation to the fact they were missing their best defenders for most of the season, and that if they had them Martinez would have kept them up. He told me how close Wigan actually were to getting John Stones and that they even shirt printed ready to parade but for a last minute change to Everton.

-

Just thought I'd share this, I know we have all seen it with him as our manager, but thought I'd pass it on as I was very proud that we have a man who, whilst loved by the media and acts very professional, is the same man behind the scenes and is loved by everybody for his intelligence, his passion for the game.

Also love the fact that Martinez gave me my player of the season trophy when I was 7 playing for u11's ! (17 years ago!)

Oh and Martinez believed when McCarthy signed for Wigan he would go on to be Wigans first £10m pound british player.

Youre 24 doing an internship? Career change? Sounds like fun.

I'm currently on an internship with Wigan Warriors, and the guy who's giving me some experiece was in charge of 'Latics Player' (basically their everton tv equivilent). Anyway the media manager of a club generally spends a lot of time with the manager doing interviews and what not, so I thought I'd ask what he is like behind the scenes.

I asked if Martinez is the same off camera as he is when on it, he said 150%. He's such an intelligent person who absolutely adores football has a mind that can absorb information and memories without an apparent limit. He said you could mention football to him and he would be happy to speak for hours.

A really genuine, passionate man who puts himself into everything and prides himself on playing proper football. He told me that he's been editing clips of Bobby in the past and Martinez would walk in behind him and tell him exact what happened next in every single clip. He doesn't believe in sitting back, no matter who Martinez is up against he will always go for the win, if we're 1-0 up and going for the league, he will still try for the second goal.

-

The man is considered a legend for Wigan, a tiny club in reality who have won an FA cup. All Wigan fans put down the relegation to the fact they were missing their best defenders for most of the season, and that if they had them Martinez would have kept them up. He told me how close Wigan actually were to getting John Stones and that they even shirt printed ready to parade but for a last minute change to Everton.

-

Just thought I'd share this, I know we have all seen it with him as our manager, but thought I'd pass it on as I was very proud that we have a man who, whilst loved by the media and acts very professional, is the same man behind the scenes and is loved by everybody for his intelligence, his passion for the game.

Also love the fact that Martinez gave me my player of the season trophy when I was 7 playing for u11's ! (17 years ago!)

Oh and Martinez believed when McCarthy signed for Wigan he would go on to be Wigans first £10m pound british player.

My dads mate works as a driver for the club and under Moyes you couldn't go into certain areas as the driver he said. He done the same under Martinez until one day Martinez seen him and asked why he was sitting in that car park or place, can't remember exactly where he said but not further into the ground. The lad said back that he wasn't allowed... As he said it Martinez interrupted him and said something like "No, no, you work for Everton, you're a part of Everton. You can go where you want"

Then every time he drives Martinez somewhere when he gets out he always asks if he wants anything signed for himself or friend/family.

The lid said Moyes was never like that.

My dads mate works as a driver for the club and under Moyes you couldn't go into certain areas as the driver he said. He done the same under Martinez until one day Martinez seen him and asked why he was sitting in that car park or place, can't remember exactly where he said but not further into the ground. The lad said back that he wasn't allowed... As he said it Martinez interrupted him and said something like "No, no, you work for Everton, you're a part of Everton. You can go where you want"

Then every time he drives Martinez somewhere when he gets out he always asks if he wants anything signed for himself or friend/family.

The lid said Moyes was never like that.
I don't doubt that for one minute . Martinez is a class above that bell. As good as moyes was fir us, he was not liked by many people that worked there and he had no respect for us fans . On pre season tours he saw us as a hindrance .

I don't doubt that for one minute . Martinez is a class above that bell. As good as moyes was fir us, he was not liked by many people that worked there and he had no respect for us fans . On pre season tours he saw us as a hindrance .

My dads mate just kept saying how spot on he was and how well he treated him.

always admired bobby, watching him play for swansea and then totally transform the way they played that has provided year after year of improvements and silverware.

it's the reason why i was so adamant that he'd be a success here if he came. he's admired just as much at swansea as he is at wigan.

Status
Not open for further replies.