Martinez transfers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Simply not true. Keepers are 10 a penny on frees....

2 ageing donkeys for any kind of cost is pointless + kone has 2 years left and alcaraz 1 season to go...need replacing soon!

Plenty of better players out there for the price of Kone and Alcaraz was pointless.

Don't you think Martinez wanted to bring in players loyal to him to help settle and get the new playing style across

I seem to be in a minority here but I think McGeady is bloody ace. He must have a fair few assists already and I haven't seen a full back who can handle him yet.

I agree, he is boss. Loves to run at players, and more often than not, does them.

I'm gonna fume when we sign Tadic and people think his name's read like as if you're saying Doosan Tadick.

In fact, I'm already fuming.

to keep records straight, his name should be read "Du-shan Ta-dich". We dropped all these sounds with the diacritics.

Simply not true. Keepers are 10 a penny on frees....

2 ageing donkeys for any kind of cost is pointless + kone has 2 years left and alcaraz 1 season to go...need replacing soon!

Plenty of better players out there for the price of Kone and Alcaraz was pointless.

Tell me anyone who is willing to play 4th defender for a reasonable fee/wage. Don't mention Duffy - he's simply not cut out.

I can understand all the fuming on Kone (and even see the fact he's injured is why we should not gamble on 30-year-olds) but hell no can people at least let him patch up his wounds?

His permanent signings are average, bar McCarthy. The rest are squad players though, who cost next to nothing so what do you expect? Moyes bought the likes of mucha, hitzelberger, Neill etc etc, every manager does it.

The only concern for me is Kone, £6m was too much, his record is extremely average and although he's been unlucky with injuries in the games he has played he missed sitters.

Its very promising that the big money player has turned out to be an excellent buy.

to keep records straight, his name should be read "Du-shan Ta-dich". We dropped all these sounds with the diacritics.
I know it's like that, like, neighbouring countries and that.

People will still read it like knobs for about 2 seasons, commentators included. :(

"Bobby wants him thats good enough for me"

Absolute nonsense really,

Robles -- Why bother paying for him?
Alcaraz-- Had a bad injury record before signing and turns like a tank.
McCarthy--Fantastic player
McGeady--Flatters to deceive
Kone -- Complete tosh

Yes the loans have been excellent other than Traore of course (who I imagine we will see again next season) but where does this illusion that Martinez is a transfer guru come from as on permanent deals he has made 5 and got one spot on.

Also the talk on Gibson returning so we will have no need for centre mids is totally insane. He has never had a good injury record and as things stand we can only rely on the top class McCarthy next year...need 2or even 3 more there.

I think we all love Roberto but im lost on these transfer comments.

.....I think its much too early to judge RMs transfer dealings, but I will disagree with you and suggest the indications are good. Alcaraz looks quality to me and will do for a few seasons. We have real strength in depth in Central defence. Think its unfair to call Kone 'complete tosh'. Naismith raised similar comments but is now widely accepted as a very decent player. Also, McGeady looks like a shrewd piece of business to me. Its all about opinions and mine clearly differs from yours.

Tell me anyone who is willing to play 4th defender for a reasonable fee/wage. Don't mention Duffy - he's simply not cut out.

I can understand all the fuming on Kone (and even see the fact he's injured is why we should not gamble on 30-year-olds) but hell no can people at least let him patch up his wounds?

With Kone mate i think we have to see the positive, he identified immediately that the weakest part of the squad was a striker and we needed one that could play the system he wanted to implement, the fact he effectively traded him for Jelavic with a smallish profit makes it easy to pallet for me, especially as if he stayed fit he would have chipped in definitely this year

Without a striker who can play the system the entire thing could have fallen down and he wasn't to know that Lukaku would become available at the last minute, actually shows he's very proactive and will get targets in early when he identifies the need rather than sit hoping and waiting like OFM

I say this in all seriousness;

If Martinez wants him that's good enough for me.

I know everyone is entitled to their opinion and feelings, but I can't help feel that this negativity is unnecessary, and mistimed at best.

How long has it been since we've been in with a shout of (mathematically) winning the league until 3 games to go? Let's enjoy it, eh?

I say this in all seriousness;

If Martinez wants him that's good enough for me.

I know everyone is entitled to their opinion and feelings, but I can't help feel that this negativity is unnecessary, and mistimed at best.

How long has it been since we've been in with a shout of (mathematically) winning the league until 3 games to go? Let's enjoy it, eh?

Spot on call mate, i objected probably more than anyone over McGeady, honestly thought he would be a terrible signiong and well at worst now he looks a decent squad rotation type - maybe better next year, kinda makes me a bit less knee-jerk on evaluating a player negatively he signs until i see him playing in the system now

His permanent signings are average, bar McCarthy. The rest are squad players though, who cost next to nothing so what do you expect? Moyes bought the likes of mucha, hitzelberger, Neill etc etc, every manager does it.

The only concern for me is Kone, £6m was too much, his record is extremely average and although he's been unlucky with injuries in the games he has played he missed sitters.

Its very promising that the big money player has turned out to be an excellent buy.

I don't mean to pick you out here. I see it a lot, from a lot of people, I'm just using this a springboard for fume.

Kone was a starting striker for a Premier league team last year. He scored 13 goals. I get the argument that we may feel we could have gotten a better option - but I argue it wouldn't be much better. Who would we get for 6 million to be a second striker that has proven the ability to fit into a Martinez system and score goals in the Prem?

Due to the influx of wealth in the past 10 years (tv deal increases, sugar daddy owners, rising ticket prices) players generally cost more than they used to. I'm sure we could find that player costs are outstripping inflation considerably. Gone are the days of buying a solid bench striker for a couple million UNLESS you get very lucky or bring a kid through the ranks.

Kone was appropriately priced for his era and record.

I think the OP is being harsh here for reasons that have already been said - Alcaraz is pretty decent for a 4th defender (and those saying Duffy - would you really trust a back line of him and Stones together? Better to only have the one rookie at a time for me), Kone is a proven PL striker and nowadays you're lucky to get one of those for sub-£10m, Joel is a decent prospect and an upgrade on Mucha, and McCarthy is obviously the greatest midfielder to ever play football.

So although I think Roberto did pretty well for his first window at the club (before he was properly able to evaluate where we needed strengthening and the state of our scouting network etc), let's say hypothetically that Roberto has another window where he brings in another 3/4 players on perm deals (and another 2/3 loans) which are far less successful - I think that's what we may have to get used to. I'm not slagging off his transfer strategy, it's just that I think that if Martinez wants to bring in two or three times the number of players that Moyes used to each summer, that we can't expect them all to work.

With Moyes, we were used to only making purchases that were a) very good value (in the main, Bily aside) and b) pretty good players (again, a few exceptions but not many). But we would also complain that Moyes didn't make enough signings. I think the new reality is that we will be bringing in a higher number of players but that the average quality/value will drop - but also hopefully with there being a decent number of great finds a la McCarthy in there. We'll see, I guess

The problem with Evertonians is we develop an unhealthy love for managers look at Moyes, for all he done he clearly had his faults but you had a section of fans that could never bring themselves to criticise him and come out with the IMWT after every post. Its the same with Martinez now, he's had a boss season so your gonna get people that simply cant find a fault in him.

Status
Not open for further replies.