Martinez transfers

Status
Not open for further replies.
A bit unfair to give Martinez all the credit for this:

Stones- Moyes bought him and we didn't see him before, so no idea how much Martinez has influenced his "development." How much does a player develop in 9 months?
Martinez went for him when he was still at Wigan, so one can say both Martinez and Moyes rated the lad highly, and at this time he's been brilliant marred with a few unbelievable mistakes which his teammates bailed out well for him. Consider he's only 20 he's looking like he will have a decade of time for him to become a legend in every sense.

As for the other signings:

Robles: Name another keeper willing to play backup an was on free who also wasn't tosh. He still made errors, although none had been as high-profile as the save that went directly into Bale's way last season.

Alcaraz: A reasonably good defender, willing to sit on sidelines unlike Heitinga, and certainly better than Duffy or Browning for the moment.

Kone: He got injured early in his career, and deserved another serious look. But had to say he had not been integrating well in the few minutes he played for us.

McCarthy: I guess no one can complain, even 13m is admittedly bit steep.

McGeady: People seemed to forget wingers are often used as impact players for a reason. For less then 2 mil he certainly kept opponent defense deep and honest.

Kone:

Gameweek 1: 9 minutes
Gameweek 2: 18 minutes.
Gameweek 3: 23 minutes.
Gameweek 7: 9 minutes.
Gameweek 8: 23 minutes.

5 league games, 82 minutes. He hasn't got time to prove himself.
McCarthy and Barry weren't part of the team in the first 3 games. That team wasn't the same team we are enjoying now.
Making Kone a scapegoat is ridiculous. Let wait for next season before we really call him unsuccessfull.

Our signings have been very good.
Robles is the substitute goalkeeper, Alcaraz is a great, cheap and free 4th choice CB, McGeady looks promising and McCarthy is fu***** brilliant.

I seem to be in a minority here but I think McGeady is bloody ace. He must have a fair few assists already and I haven't seen a full back who can handle him yet.

Robles - Still young, jury is still out
Alcaraz - Horrific derby aside, i haven't seen him do much wrong when playing, better cover than Heitinga was
McCarthy - Do i need to say anything?
McGeady - Quickly impressing me more and more. Think next season he'll be a threat for us
Kone - The fans favourite to hate, scored 13 goals for a relegated side, hasn't had time to show anything yet, people forget our first set of games we weren't used to the new system.

Loans:
Barry - Superb
Lukaku - Superb
Deulofeu - Good and helpful signing, can't stop Deulofeu refusing to pass
Traore - Can't comment on yet.

Personally, i can't see how RM has made bad signings?

Kone was a terrible signing IMO, the goals he got at Wigan were tap ins by and large, except against us for some bloody reason. Alcaraz was a poor one too given his injury concerns, should have been on a pay as you play or short term to January to prove his fitness.

But they're the only two dodgy ones. He gambled on Traore and I can see why, no problem there.

I scratch my head at times.... a £6m striker who has scored 1 in 3 in his career who gave Heitinga nightmares has been written off after less than 90 minutes after fasting for a month.

An understudy goalkeeper costing £250k...

Alcaraz a free transfer on moderate wages is slated despite being a very good defender and needs a bit of fitness...

McGeady who needs a full pre season and has shown some really great touches and turns of pace who I believe will be awesome.

McCarthy - probably worth £25m - nuff said.

Kone was a terrible signing IMO, the goals he got at Wigan were tap ins by and large, except against us for some bloody reason. Alcaraz was a poor one too given his injury concerns, should have been on a pay as you play or short term to January to prove his fitness.

But they're the only two dodgy ones. He gambled on Traore and I can see why, no problem there.
He cost less than Jelavic and Long cost Hull.

He cost the same as Anichebe cost WBA. Roberto clearly didn't rate Vic. Jelavic was dross. Kenwright wasn't ponying up for a proper striker, which at this point costs more than 10m.

Kone is a perfectly passable backup striker. I refuse to say that was a bad buy given the situation at the time. If he comes back next year and is as useless as he looked in those 82 minutes, I will revisit.

In kones defence, he looked decent in his overall play he just missed the 2 sitters which means hes now written off by most untill he can come back and prove his worth, he'll be a more than ample back up striker next year.

Alcaraz has actually looked boss apart from the derby game where pretty much everyone looked [Poor language removed] and slow, hes just got an injury problem

Mcgeady looks very promising, his final ball has been hit and miss but no doubt he'll prove a good signing

Macca is superb think we all agree on that

Robles just looks a bag of nerves which probably doesnt help when the crowd dont give you encouragment, but hes a capable backup for the minute

3 of the loans have been fantastic and traore we'll wait and see

"Bobby wants him thats good enough for me"

Absolute nonsense really,

Robles -- Why bother paying for him?
Alcaraz-- Had a bad injury record before signing and turns like a tank.
McCarthy--Fantastic player
McGeady--Flatters to deceive
Kone -- Complete tosh

Yes the loans have been excellent other than Traore of course (who I imagine we will see again next season) but where does this illusion that Martinez is a transfer guru come from as on permanent deals he has made 5 and got one spot on.

Also the talk on Gibson returning so we will have no need for centre mids is totally insane. He has never had a good injury record and as things stand we can only rely on the top class McCarthy next year...need 2or even 3 more there.

I think we all love Roberto but im lost on these transfer comments.

All them I've highlighted that you've mentioned are all basically squad fillers!

I know Martinez paid a decent amount out for Kone and Joel didn't come cheap but after signing Joel, Kone, Alcaraz & Deulofeu, Martinez said he needed to make those signings purely to help fill out the squad initially.

Then he purposely sold Felli & Anichebe so he could sanction moves for Barry, McCarthy & Lukaku to go straight into the first team.

Joel hasn't shown up well in certain games but I do actually think he's brought best out of Howard this season.

Alcaraz is 32, not the quickest but seems decent in air and reads the game reasonably well and he can definitely play but granted, he's barely fit but when he as been and he's had to step in, he's generally done well, apart from Anfield derby but many of us had a shocker that night.

McGeady hasn't really put a foot wrong for me but hasn't been spectacular either but as had one or 2 cameos to show glimpses of what he can do but again, he was brought in to add to the options in the attacking third.

And then there's Kone. I think it's crazy for people to write off his Everton career before it's even got going! How many games as he been involved in this season, 5 or 6 or so? I saw enough of him at a struggling Wigan to have faith in him being a valuable squad player for us next season.

And as for Gibson, just cos he's out injured and Barry & McCarthy have done so well people want rid and forget what a difference he made to us when fit and playing. I personally think his last injury will be a blessing in disguise for him and will of allowed him to get fully fit and rehabilitated. Before he was always playing with bumps and knocks but now he's had the chance to fully rest, do physio and rehabilitate and now should be fully over his old thigh injury and ACL and come back fitter and strong and with him, Barry, McCarthy and maybe another addition in midfield, we can chop and change through season and keep everyone fit and fresh.

Gibbo will be an important player in the squad next season IMO, his quick eye for a pass, passing range and vision will be a massive plus.

The fact that he got so many tap-in chances is a testament in itself. One can score only as many as the amount of chances he got, and honestly Kone made himself available at the end of many of them.

I would give Kone at least until January.

as for Alcaraz, who the hell would want to play 4th Central Defender on a pay as you play? Players deserved to be paid; its a labour issue. I reckon he is on something like 10-20k/week, and that isn't a lot of money given he's approaching the end of his football career.

Robles - Better than Mucha.
Alcaraz - Solid sub defender, on a free, better than Heitinga.
McCarthy - Excellent.
McGeady - Settling in after playing several years in Russia.
Kone - Unfortunate due to injury.

And how can you say Gibson has never had a good record? If memory serves correctly, we didn't lose a league game with him in the team for ages!
Good shouts.

Positivity is what's needed, as displayed here.

Robles -- 1 million - only argument of poor signing for me.
Alcaraz-- Free. Solid backup for us, has done a job when called upon.
McCarthy--Fantastic player
McGeady--Super cheap for what he offers
Kone -- Injured. Not expensive, would have been useful if not injured...jury is out.

And he's clearly got an eye for how to get the best out of a player.

Barry - brilliant
Lukaku - Ok, that's obvious
Del - Future superstar
Traore - Unlucky, but 1 goal per 60 minutes for us. Not a bad record.

For Everton he is quite expensive especially he is 30 with no resell value.

Status
Not open for further replies.