Martinez transfers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Robles -- 1 million - only argument of poor signing for me.
Alcaraz-- Free. Solid backup for us, has done a job when called upon.
McCarthy--Fantastic player
McGeady--Super cheap for what he offers
Kone -- Injured. Not expensive, would have been useful if not injured...jury is out.

And he's clearly got an eye for how to get the best out of a player.

Barry - brilliant
Lukaku - Ok, that's obvious
Del - Future superstar
Traore - Unlucky, but 1 goal per 60 minutes for us. Not a bad record.

Yeah as Moyes was to blame for that not a certain skint chairman...

I don't doubt Kenwright is partly to blame for Moyes' transfer market dealings. But Moyes surely didn't help himself.

We went through an awful time for 2 and half years where we just looked very stale, up until we had that January when we bought Gibson and Jelavic.

Martinez's approach so far has been a breath of fresh air.

Cleverley is not a name that sprngs straight to mind when thinking of who we'd all like to bring in in the summer. However, I remember his loan spell at Wigan under Roberto when he was extremely effective both in creating and scoring goals...

Robles -- 1 million - only argument of poor signing for me.
Alcaraz-- Free. Solid backup for us, has done a job when called upon.
McGeady--Super cheap for what he offers
Kone -- Injured. Not expensive, would have been useful if not injured...jury is out.

And he's clearly got an eye for how to get the best out of a player.

Barry - brilliant
Lukaku - Ok, that's obvious
Del - Future superstar
Traore - Unlucky, but 1 goal per 60 minutes for us. Not a bad record.

agree with all that but still not sure about del tbh

"Bobby wants him thats good enough for me"

Absolute nonsense really,

Robles -- Why bother paying for him?
Alcaraz-- Had a bad injury record before signing and turns like a tank.
McGeady--Flatters to deceive
Kone -- Complete tosh

Yes the loans have been excellent other than Traore of course (who I imagine we will see again next season) but where does this illusion that Martinez is a transfer guru come from as on permanent deals he has made 5 and got one spot on.

Also the talk on Gibson returning so we will have no need for centre mids is totally insane. He has never had a good injury record and as things stand we can only rely on the top class McCarthy next year...need 2or even 3 more there.

I think we all love Roberto but im lost on these transfer comments.

How can U say Kone is a complete tosh? He hasn't played a whole match for Everton....to early to jugde.

Gibson is good but we can't rely on him to be fit for a whole season. Major cover needed for McCarthy and/or Barry if we get Europe

Agreed. But he can certainly put a shift in when he's fit.

Gibson -- I thought I got the edit in quickly :) meant injury record.

Robles -- may be better than mucha but why pay a fee for him as hes not goos enough it appears.

Alcaraz -- didnt need a replacement for heitinga.. already stacked with centre backs and add duffy and browning into the mix.

Mcgeady -- always been the same even at celtic

Kone -- hes a really poor player.

With these above, I just think there were better options in world football than them.

So when Distin hobbled off at HT against United, we would have sent on Browning to play alongside Stones? Also, your point on McGeady, is this the same McGeady who Lionel Messi rated so highly?

Gibson -- I thought I got the edit in quickly :) meant injury record.

Robles -- may be better than mucha but why pay a fee for him as hes not goos enough it appears.

Alcaraz -- didnt need a replacement for heitinga.. already stacked with centre backs and add duffy and browning into the mix.

Mcgeady -- always been the same even at celtic

Kone -- hes a really poor player.

With these above, I just think there were better options in world football than them.

Robles - Class at very certain times. Uncertain at best in others. Young and definitely too early to judge him. Could also argue he's pushed Howard to another level this year.

Alcaraz - Looks like he throws boss pool parties back in Paraguay so gets a pass from me.

Mcgeady - Technically amazing approching barkleys level but not yet fit and very poor decision making considering he's not a young lad.

Kone - bossed it against us twice for Wigan. Second touch was a header whenever he played for us but deserves a second crack at the whip.

I think it's a fair question. 4 of his 5 permanent signings do have questions against them. Not that they can be classed as bad signings yet, due to a lack time. But equally one good/bad summer window doesn't make a manager good/bad in the market.

Robles, better than the last sub keeper & young. But hardly looked great in his cup run.
McGeady, lack of match time yet.
Kone, lack of match time, mainly due to injury. Not getting any younger in the physio room.
Alcarez, looked good in a couple of games, but poor against the one quality opponent faced. Again suffered through injuries.

(To clarify I like what I've seen of McGeady & Alcarez in the main, just not seen enough them yet)

Add to that he went trying to get Ba on loan & ended up with Lukaku. Which has got to be classed as a slice of luck.

It'll be a big summer for him buying/replacing Barry & Lukaku as well as adding a few (3 or 4) more faces. I'd like to think he'll be up to it, but it won't easy on a budget that will probably only stretch as far as Lukaku & a little change. I also don't expect the likes of City & Chelsea will loan to us again, considering how close we got this season.

Robles - We need a substitute keeper. He's probably no better otr worse than most of those who have been before him, we've just seen a little bit more of him

Alcaraz - has been very impressive most of the time when he's been fit, but his fitness is at best suspect. Unfortunately his career record suggests this has always been the case. Still, as a 4th choice centre back with some other youngsters behind him, he's ok.

McCarthy - Player of the season for me, absolutely brilliant.

McGeady - Came in extremely unfit. Has got progressively sharper and has contributed more in recent games. I like him, has an eye for a pass that you don't often see in a winger

Kone - Admittedly unimpressive in his few brief appearances. I'm loathe to judge anyone on just a couple of games though.

It's not just his transfers though, dude. I think people are looking at how players have developed under him.

Stones - A lot to learn, but is ridiculously composed on the ball and a fine footballer.
Barkley - Was going to burst on the scene under any manager but has been given creative freedom under RM.
Naismith - Completely different player this season, as it stands he's in our best 11.
Coleman - Takes the absolute p!ss on a regualr basis.
Oviedo - Arguably more effective than Baines before his unfortunate injury.

So when we're linked with players like Cleverly, people most on here would avoid given their recent form. Some are assured that RM will get the best out of him

I agree that people are fools to blindly believe any RM signing will be a revelation, but things are looking promising atm, and we'll likely have more cash than usual to spend so I can understand peoples optimism.

A bit unfair to give Martinez all the credit for this:

Stones- Moyes bought him and we didn't see him before, so no idea how much Martinez has influenced his "development." How much does a player develop in 9 months?

Barkley - Agreed plays well under Martinez, but I think it's also possible that the loan's to the championship were good for him. Protected him from exposure/hype, and motivated him work to compete for a first team spot. We have no idea what Barkley's mindset is like, maybe Moyes' stick and Martinez' carrot were the perfect combination for him

Naismith - I'll give you this one, he's a different player under Bobby. Still, a Moyes signing. And I wouldn't call it "development", it's not as if he's changed as a player, he's just in a system now that plays to his strengths.

Coleman - Was also fantastic last year. I'll agree he has more freedom in Martinez' system, but his actual "development" was primarily under Moyes and was handled perfectly.

Oviedo - I agree he seems like a much better player under Martinez, I think we would be comfortably in 4th if he had stayed fit.

I think we all agree that the Martinez system tends to get the best out of certain players, but I don't know how much credit we can give him for getting the most out of players that another manager signed. I'm not saying Moyes was better at bringing in talent, I'm just saying we don't have enough information either way. Martinez has been our manager for less than a year, too many on here are drawing conclusions too quickly.

A bit unfair to give Martinez all the credit for this:

Stones- Moyes bought him and we didn't see him before, so no idea how much Martinez has influenced his "development." How much does a player develop in 9 months?

Barkley - Agreed plays well under Martinez, but I think it's also possible that the loan's to the championship were good for him. Protected him from exposure/hype, and motivated him work to compete for a first team spot. We have no idea what Barkley's mindset is like, maybe Moyes' stick and Martinez' carrot were the perfect combination for him

Naismith - I'll give you this one, he's a different player under Bobby. Still, a Moyes signing. And I wouldn't call it "development", it's not as if he's changed as a player, he's just in a system now that plays to his strengths.

Coleman - Was also fantastic last year. I'll agree he has more freedom in Martinez' system, but his actual "development" was primarily under Moyes and was handled perfectly.

Oviedo - I agree he seems like a much better player under Martinez, I think we would be comfortably in 4th if he had stayed fit.

I think we all agree that the Martinez system tends to get the best out of certain players, but I don't know how much credit we can give him for getting the most out of players that another manager signed. I'm not saying Moyes was better at bringing in talent, I'm just saying we don't have enough information either way. Martinez has been our manager for less than a year, too many on here are drawing conclusions too quickly.
I don't think Furey was giving all the credit to Martinez. I think he was pointing out that a lot of the reason we have faith in Roberto's transfer policy is that he could see the potential in the above players and find out how to bring it out.

These players were generally not first teamers under Moyes, so he was able to see the talent without having it handed to him on the plate. At least see it enough to play it and nurture it.

Naismith hasn't changed as a player, you're correct. But Roberto was able to see that his best position was behind the striker and put him in a position to succeed. Perhaps he can see similar things in players that we all write off as tosh.

Status
Not open for further replies.