Martinez transfers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zatara

Player Valuation: £90m
"Bobby wants him thats good enough for me"

Absolute nonsense really,

Robles -- Why bother paying for him?
Alcaraz-- Had a bad injury record before signing and turns like a tank.
McCarthy--Fantastic player
McGeady--Flatters to deceive
Kone -- Complete tosh

Yes the loans have been excellent other than Traore of course (who I imagine we will see again next season) but where does this illusion that Martinez is a transfer guru come from as on permanent deals he has made 5 and got one spot on.

Also the talk on Gibson returning so we will have no need for centre mids is totally insane. He has never had a good injury record and as things stand we can only rely on the top class McCarthy next year...need 2or even 3 more there.

I think we all love Roberto but im lost on these transfer comments.

Robles - Better than Mucha.
Alcaraz - Solid sub defender, on a free, better than Heitinga.
McCarthy - Excellent.
McGeady - Settling in after playing several years in Russia.
Kone - Unfortunate due to injury.

And how can you say Gibson has never had a good record? If memory serves correctly, we didn't lose a league game with him in the team for ages!

Kone -- Complete tosh

Robles - what if we find Howard out for months?
Alcaraz - quite like him myself, only paying wages too.
McCarthy - going to be a very good player.
McGeady - we don't know, he hasn't had a huge chance yet.
Kone - once again, we just don't know.

Even if they do turn out to be a bit 'tosh', every team has bad transfers.

McCarthy - Excellent.

And how can you say Gibson has never had a good record? If memory serves correctly, we didn't lose a league game with him in the team for ages!

Gibson is good but we can't rely on him to be fit for a whole season. Major cover needed for McCarthy and/or Barry if we get Europe

McCarthy - Excellent.

This.

Robles may never become our number 1 but he'll do for now, he'll only play in cups anyway. Kone, it's completely unfair to call him tosh, he's hardly played! The injury was so unfortunate, it may have killed his career here before it's even got going. Hope he can come back and offer something next year, would be such a shame if he never manages to get over it because at his age an injury like that could finish you off. McGeady hasn't had a proper run in the team yet either, give him a chance too!

Listen, I don't want Tom Cleverley either, especially if we're going to pay £6-8m for him like the papers are saying. If he does come though then wait until he actually shows us how crap he may be before you slaughter the manager.

Was gonna say pretty much the same thing, don't agree at all with the original poster.

The only bad signings were Robles and Kone. Kone will get another chance to prove himself, it was unfotrunate that he got injured before getting a chance to settle in and justifiy his price tag.

And if any of those loan signings turn into permanent sigings, then they certainly count.

Moyes' over-careful, dithering approach once led to 5 successive transfer windows without making a money signing for a 1st team player if you remember?

Gibson -- I thought I got the edit in quickly :) meant injury record.

Robles -- may be better than mucha but why pay a fee for him as hes not goos enough it appears.

Alcaraz -- didnt need a replacement for heitinga.. already stacked with centre backs and add duffy and browning into the mix.

Mcgeady -- always been the same even at celtic

Kone -- hes a really poor player.

With these above, I just think there were better options in world football than them.

Robles -- Still learning, but much closer to a Premier League No 1 than any of our U21 lads, and much further from retirement than Jan Mucha.
Alcaraz -- Unlucky with injuries, but infinitely preferable to losing Barry in midfield or shifting things about so that Hibbo can play right centre-back when cover's required. Also free.
McGeady -- Wasn't supposed to arrive til Summer, still finding his feet in the PL. Shouldn't be played at the same time as Deulofeu, but we sorely needed wing options that weren't Naismith and Osman.
Kone -- Barely made it out of preseason without injury at a time when people were worried the entire side (never mind just him) would tank.

Bobby's going to be the one who has to bring them into the side ultimately. If they turn out awful then fair enough, but every manager signs a few duds - Bily alone cost almost as much as our non-McCarthy ex-Wigan bloc combined, didn't he?

I think it's less blind trust and more an ability to relax which we've not had for a while. We're not just going to let him get away with signing whatever tosh he likes, but after McCarthy and Barry particularly there's a curiosity to see who he wants and what he can make of them. No sense in fretting over it in the meantime.

Was gonna say pretty much the same thing, don't agree at all with the original poster.

The only bad signings were Robles and Kone. Kone will get another chance to prove himself, it was unfotrunate that he got injured before getting a chance to settle in and justifiy his price tag.

And if any of those loan signings turn into permanent sigings, then they certainly count.

Moyes' over-careful, dithering approach once led to 5 successive transfer windows without making a money signing for a 1st team player if you remember?

Yeah as Moyes was to blame for that not a certain skint chairman...

Kone -- Complete tosh

Yes the loans have been excellent other than Traore of course (who I imagine we will see again next season) but where does this illusion that Martinez is a transfer guru come from as on permanent deals he has made 5 and got one spot on.

Also the talk on Gibson returning so we will have no need for centre mids is totally insane. He has never had a good injury record and as things stand we can only rely on the top class McCarthy next year...need 2or even 3 more there.

I think we all love Roberto but im lost on these transfer comments.
Kone has had like one game?
Robles is young and we where never going to get a world class no2 Gk on our budget to sit rotting on the bench.
McGeady has been unfit and has showed flashes of brilliance when he has come on with limited time remaining.
McCarthy is a beast.
Alcaraz is a more than good enough squad backup Cb on a free.

Most of those signing are suppose to bulk up our small squad and give us cover and options which have all been a success apart from the Kone injury.

It's not just his transfers though, dude. I think people are looking at how players have developed under him.

Stones - A lot to learn, but is ridiculously composed on the ball and a fine footballer.
Barkley - Was going to burst on the scene under any manager but has been given creative freedom under RM.
Naismith - Completely different player this season, as it stands he's in our best 11.
Coleman - Takes the absolute p!ss on a regualr basis.
Oviedo - Arguably more effective than Baines before his unfortunate injury.

So when we're linked with players like Cleverly, people most on here would avoid given their recent form. Some are assured that RM will get the best out of him

I agree that people are fools to blindly believe any RM signing will be a revelation, but things are looking promising atm, and we'll likely have more cash than usual to spend so I can understand peoples optimism.

Points well noted but surely blind faith in the manager to sign players has to be earned?

Kone was always tosh and I dont locically see how he would have performed well for us even with no injury as a few of us said as he signed.

On permanents I think moyes did very well although it may be unfashionable to say that-- better than the 4 listed sadly other than james.

Kone -- Complete tosh

Good post. It's always useful for an ambitious club like ours to be critical even when things are going really well. That's after all how we get even better.

Robles: first impressions are that he's not very high-end. I'd like us to hunt down an alternative backup in the summer.

Alcarez: I like his contributions on the field so far: he's composed, wins headers and is relatively solid. Decent squad player, but agree on injury issues marring his effectiveness.

Macca: surprise of the season. Essential player.

Geeds: he's proven he can do an effective job in his last couple of appearances. Dangerous crosser of the ball and has the skills to get past his man. Another decent squad option, but not a first-teamer.

Kone: he did look a bit pants, but nerves played a part. And he's been out since. He can score goals in the Prem as he proved with Wigan, so maybe we'll see a little some of that next season. At best, he's another decent squad option. At worst, he really is pants.

So not as bad as you might think, but certainly massive room for improvement. I agree with your main point, that Bobby remains unproven in the transfer market with us (the loan market is something else). We were spoilt with Moyes, tho'...he was genuinely the best in the business at turning 2m-5m players into essential first-teamers.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.