2022/23 Kevin Thelwell

Status
Not open for further replies.
An understanding of the financial situation he's been working in would be useful. The structure of that bid for Sarr, while we have the Gordon money in the bank, set off some alarm bells for me.

End of the day we needed someone and that falls under his remit, so he doesn't escape blame, but I do wonder to what extent his hands were tied.

My suspicion is that the club is preparing for relegation or a takeover and money in the bank is important. If that's the case, he gets a little bit of sympathy (but not enough that he escapes any criticism at all).
I think the thing with the Sarr bid is that they just didn't fancy the player that much so didn't want to splash £30m on him now.

Fair enough, but he was available all window so why not make a loan offer much earlier with a bigger loan fee, and then include an option on staying up anyway. The money would be there from the Gordon sale, and they KNEW Gordon wanted off.

He's crap mate. His hands are tied, too, but he has shown himself over two windows to either be at worst extremely incompetent or at best unable to push through what he wants to do.

Either way, he's failed.

No one leaves this club with their head held high if it all ended today.

It's all on Dyche now to try and conjure a miracle up and get the team to not only be hard to beat, but set them up where we can be a threat up top.

A miracle is needed to get enough wins. Evertonians will get behind him 100% but Thelwell and this board are finished at Everton.

It's only a matter of when not if.
I made this point to someone yesterday who has been defending 'the recruitment team' (because they feel oh so scapegoated) that if MSP do invest/buy the club, did they really think Kevin Thelwell would still be in position?

Maybe he would, you know, and he'd be given full license to make every decision. But somehow I doubt it.

Get rid of this useless waste of space now. More importantly, scrap the entire way we do transfers as a club. It’s been proved over about 8 years now that it’s not working.
Keep Kenwright’s grubby mitts off of any transfer dealings. Hire a competent DOF and leave him completely alone to work or just give the responsibility to the manager 100%. ITS NOT THAT HARD.

I think the thing with the Sarr bid is that they just didn't fancy the player that much so didn't want to splash £30m on him now.

Fair enough, but he was available all window so why not make a loan offer much earlier with a bigger loan fee, and then include an option on staying up anyway. The money would be there from the Gordon sale, and they KNEW Gordon wanted off.

He's crap mate. His hands are tied, too, but he has shown himself over two windows to either be at worst extremely incompetent or at best unable to push through what he wants to do.

Either way, he's failed.

£6mill we were willing to give Sarr (£2mill loan fee and £4mill appearance bonuses).

If we'd planned, scouted, and recruited better we could've bought an actual player for that price

Gonzo needs to leave. He had one job. 10s of millions at stake if we go down - find at least one player, loan or buy.

To make matters worse he’s got a player doing media interviews and a medical who then goes to spurs.

If I supported any other club I’d be laughing.

Are we going to be any better off having sacked Lampard?

I think the likely answer is no, as I said all along. Not that I don't agree he deserved to go, but because a managerial change was only rearranging the deck chairs.
We are worse off without Lampard. Frank would've brought in players this window. All he needed was a better striker and winger. We are really hoping Dyche can work miracles with a weaker squad.

I don't care if it's not his fault and his hands are tied, I want him out too. Gut the whole lot of them.

Okay get him out, new man comes in, doesn't know the situation...spends a load on his people, makes similar mistakes as he has had no experience handling a club like Everton, sack him as well and before you know it we have gone through DoF's like you would with manager. The whole point of having a DoF is to have a longer term vision of the club rather than focus just for now, even a crap DoF would be better over a period of time than a load of better ones that we only keep for a year or couple of years.

He does need to come out and explain the situation though, did Dyche block what he had lined up or could bring in? Was it vice-versa? Did the players say no despite good salary offers or did we have little money? Was a decision made to go with what we have without big money signings due to the uncertainty of which league we would be playing and IF we stay up we will have more money to spend in the summer and if we go down we have a nice sum to refresh the squad at championship level?

They say there is a plan, we need to know what that is to be able to buy into it.

We are worse off without Lampard. Frank would've brought in players this window. All he needed was a better striker and winger. We are really hoping Dyche can work miracles with a weaker squad.
I think Dyche is a better fit right now but I think you're right. I wanted to see how Lampard did with a couple of signings. The board and DOF cost him his job, just like they cost Silva his job too.

Okay get him out, new man comes in, doesn't know the situation...spends a load on his people, makes similar mistakes as he has had no experience handling a club like Everton, sack him as well and before you know it we have gone through DoF's like you would with manager. The whole point of having a DoF is to have a longer term vision of the club rather than focus just for now, even a crap DoF would be better over a period of time than a load of better ones that we only keep for a year or couple of years.

He does need to come out and explain the situation though, did Dyche block what he had lined up or could bring in? Was it vice-versa? Did the players say no despite good salary offers or did we have little money? Was a decision made to go with what we have without big money signings due to the uncertainty of which league we would be playing and IF we stay up we will have more money to spend in the summer and if we go down we have a nice sum to refresh the squad at championship level?

They say there is a plan, we need to know what that is to be able to buy into it.

Correct

And the longer it goes without being explained, the more I start to strongly doubt they know what they are doing. Yesterday looked chaotic

He is half the reason we are in this position
He was a crap manager underperformed for far to long.
Lampard isn't the answer to anything but relegation.
He was here for most of the window so why didn't he bring those players in?
If we had given him more players we still would have struggled

He is half the reason we are in this position
He was a crap manager underperformed for far to long.
Lampard isn't the answer to anything but relegation.
He was here for most of the window so why didn't he bring those players in?
If we had given him more players we still would have struggled
I disagree, this team would be fine with a better striker and the likes of Danjuma who agreed to come because of Frank. Danjuma scored in his first game for Spurs ffs. Dyche doesn't have the same appeal to players and the mess of sacking a manager with a week to go of the window left us in an even less desirable place.
We now have to hope that Dyche can motivate the players and DCL finds his form, Simms is given a chance.
Frank was let down by either the owner or board not buying a striker on Jan 1st. Clearly Moshiri has no money without Usmanov.

I think Dyche is a better fit right now but I think you're right. I wanted to see how Lampard did with a couple of signings. The board and DOF cost him his job, just like they cost Silva his job too.

Don't think they knew what to do with Lampard in the break for the world cup.

We needed attacking reinforcements. Plans should've been in place to get them when the window opened and back Lampard.

I suspect there were instructions from above to hold off and see how he performed before we made any decisions.

The only concrete transfer was a loan for Danjuma who came based on Lampard, then soon left when he was sacked.

Now...to me that means the DoF is unable to sign players on his own back based on the club and the deals offered. Last night proved that.

The thing that needles me is, even if he had the rug pulled in terms of finances and there was nothing he could pull off in the market, we’ve left ourselves short of a young pacy winger and we have a young pacy winger out on loan who could’ve been recalled but only before the window shut, and at least kept the depth what it was. The absolute LEAST they could’ve done is maintain the numbers.

The fact we didn’t even bring back Dobbin suggests to me either they just plain gave up or no one was thinking straight.

Status
Not open for further replies.