2022/23 Kevin Thelwell

Status
Not open for further replies.
Onana is going to be someone we sell for profit.

Coady, Tarkowski are solid acquisitions.

Garner has potential. Some of the players we couldn’t afford but went for, we’re in the right path.

Maupay has been a disaster, but there’s nothing to suggest it was someone Thelwell had highly up.

The sale of Gordon for £40m upfront with a sell on, was great business. The reality is, he walked into a loss before he came in thanks to the glut of wasted money by previous regimes.

I’ll happily hold my hands up if I’m wrong, but my point stands that no one can do their job well, when they’re caught in total mayhem we’re in.
And all three cited Lampard, and it was reliably reported that Lampard played a huge role in them coming to the club.

Garner, likewise, was a signing Lampard pushed for - rightly or wrongly.

Of course, Thelwell takes his share of the credit for those deals.

But he then has to take blame for Everton not bringing in one quality forward option, having sold their best player in June.

Yes, there is mayhem at the top of the club. But what makes you think the DoF the clowns appointed is actually good?

I just don't get how we have now been through two transfer windows without a head of recruitment when this fella has admitted he knows nothing about transfers. I don't get why Dan Purdy got rehired as head of scouting. I don't get how we had money for Danjumas loan fee and wages then sell Gordon for 40 million and then suddenly have no money at all. I dont get how Lampard says in a presser before Jan that Pickford, Gordon and Iwobi are all very close to signing new deals amd in Feb not one of them has a new deal. None of it makes sense

Long term maybe, short term absolutely not. They arent ready to save us from relegation

We are in enormous trouble

I appreciate this is the attitude the club has, but its such a daft vicious circle. Players only get ready by playing, but they aren't ready to play.

Meanwhile we go and pay a fortune for some other clubs 20 year olds, because they played them.

Opportunity knocks now for Simms and the rest.

What other DOF come out and speak to the fans? I recall Purslow doing it, and after that, are there many?

Well run clubs rarely haven’t to communicate publicly, because their results are their success.

We’ve pissed £500m up the wall, and Thelwell has had a minuscule budget compared to the others.

I guarantee you now, if he comes out tomorrow and says the expected “We tried to get targets, but we couldn’t”… the place would be toxic.

The issue here lies with the board. Back your man. If Dyche wasn’t a Thelwell choice, then what’s the point in him being here, for example? He clearly isn’t being allowed to do his job properly.
Purslow is a CEO, not a DoF.

David Weir regularly speaks to Brighton fan groups. Brentford's owner and the sporting director hold regular meetings with fan forums at their games. Dan Ashworth was regularly vocal while at Brighton.

Brands, now he's back in Holland, can't shut up, he's always talking to the press.

Conte said it the other day, and I know this is true through work, but in Italy the club sporting directors speak before or after every single match.

All we've got is another mute who's happy to let the manager do the talking for him.

And all three cited Lampard, and it was reliably reported that Lampard played a huge role in them coming to the club.

Garner, likewise, was a signing Lampard pushed for - rightly or wrongly.

Of course, Thelwell takes his share of the credit for those deals.

But he then has to take blame for Everton not bringing in one quality forward option, having sold their best player in June.

Yes, there is mayhem at the top of the club. But what makes you think the DoF the clowns appointed is actually good?
Are we going to be any better off having sacked Lampard?

I think the likely answer is no, as I said all along. Not that I don't agree he deserved to go, but because a managerial change was only rearranging the deck chairs.

I appreciate this is the attitude the club has, but its such a daft vicious circle. Players only get ready by playing, but they aren't ready to play.

Meanwhile we go and pay a fortune for some other clubs 20 year olds, because they played them.

There is no evidence they are good enough to save a terrible side from relegation, nor should there be any realistic expectation for them to do so.

I generally agree with your point but believe me he is nowhere near ready.

Know several Sunderland fans very well, who are very knowledgable (one of them being my editor). He isn't ready.

If he scores 2-3 goals for us this season, brilliant, fair play to him.

Are we going to be any better off having sacked Lampard?

I think the likely answer is no, as I said all along. Not that I don't agree he deserved to go, but because a managerial change was only rearranging the deck chairs.
I do think we have a better manager in but I think we'll find that the issue wasn't just the manager as me, you and a fair few others said.

Dyche needs seven wins and a few draws. If he gets that then fair play.

What other DOF come out and speak to the fans? I recall Purslow doing it, and after that, are there many?

Well run clubs rarely haven’t to communicate publicly, because their results are their success.

We’ve pissed £500m up the wall, and Thelwell has had a minuscule budget compared to the others.

I guarantee you now, if he comes out tomorrow and says the expected “We tried to get targets, but we couldn’t”… the place would be toxic.

The issue here lies with the board. Back your man. If Dyche wasn’t a Thelwell choice, then what’s the point in him being here, for example? He clearly isn’t being allowed to do his job properly.

TBF if he came out tomorrow and said "we don't have much money, its a much better decision to use our youth players and develop them rather than spend money on players that weren't those we were targeting" then I'd applaud him because it would be the first sensible thing anyone in the management of the club has said in twelve months plus.

8805546048a5878b21204c79839076482f6996890075ad10193522e891c9b93c.jpg

We need to abandon the DoF model until Moshiri is far away from this club. It is just another element in an already muddled setup that has shown zero consistency and just shy of zero competency over the last few years. It’s an utterly thankless task, and does absolutely nothing for his future prospects if he chooses to hang around after this utter debacle of a season so far.

Still, we almost signed Kudus.

Status
Not open for further replies.