Joel Robles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Good to see we have three in the team, but guess a lot of non Evertonians will be surprised by Joel's inclusion.

I think a few Evertonians are, and the fact that the team contains Pogba, Chambers and Kolarov speaks volumes.

They'll be egg on a few faces when he costs us the derby again

I think a few Evertonians are, and the fact that the team contains Pogba, Chambers and Kolarov speaks volumes.

They'll be egg on a few faces when he costs us the derby again

I'm still keeping an open mind on Robles.

He messed up in the Spurs game against that Kane shot that he had more than enough time to save but people overeact.

Ignoring that mess he made of that he's been great in most games and the way he's commanded his area and come out quickly has saved us in more games than that one mistake against Spurs cost us.

If we had a serious problem with our defence and goalkeeper our defensive record would be poor. It's actually good, not perfect, and yes it could be improved but the way so many people want us to buy goalkeepers and defenders all over the shop when it's our attack that stops us from competing is crazy to me.

If we had a serious problem with our defence and goalkeeper our defensive record would be poor. It's actually good, not perfect, and yes it could be improved but the way so many people want us to buy goalkeepers and defenders all over the shop when it's our attack that stops us from competing is crazy to me.

Interesting point that, we are keeping a lot of clean sheets despite some having doubts about several players at the back, Joel, Williams, Mori, Jags and Baines being a bit past it, but we seem to be ok back then, they must be doing something right, well organised by Koeman perhaps, saying that we still do need at least 2 defenders in the window and top class ones

Interesting point that, we are keeping a lot of clean sheets despite some having doubts about several players at the back, Joel, Williams, Mori, Jags and Baines being a bit past it, but we seem to be ok back then, they must be doing something right, well organised by Koeman perhaps, saying that we still do need at least 2 defenders in the window and top class ones

Maybe it's because our midfield are doing a great job at shielding them.

I do think some of our defending looks a bit iffy at times but in terms of pressing concerns I think our attack is what we need to work on to move up a level unless we have crazy money to spend.

If he does well in the next two games I don't see how the job isn't his at that point

Over the course of the season he's impressed me

Didn't have a great day against Spurs, so he needs some good performances now against some top sides I think to really convince people
I don't get it.
Solid in 20 games, crap in 1 (and that's for one shot), reaction is naturally "SELL HIM WE NEED A NEW KEEPER ASAP HE'S OBVIOUSLY CRAP WHAT A BAD KEEPER".

Everyone's basing their judgement of his season so far on one mistake.

I get the argument tbf

Can he do it against the top sides?

That's the last question mark over him at the moment
Dunno, he was solid against City last few times out, good saves against the RS (several times, in fact he was the only arsed player in that thrashing they gave us a few years ago, shame the rest weren't. Only player that stopped us getting absolutely destroyed even further), etc. etc., but those don't get mentioned, just that one mistake against Spurs which apparently got us relegated and put into administration, 45 points were deducted and naturally heads rolled everywhere. Oh and after he missed that save he booted a ball boy straight in the face and slagged off every single Evertonian in the crowd that day.

I get the argument tbf

Can he do it against the top sides?

That's the last question mark over him at the moment

...he's been very decent and certainly taken the edge off the need for a new keeper. Personally I don't see an improvement in the home based keepers we've been linked with but as with every position, I'm fine if we bring somebody better in.

Dunno, he was solid against City last few times out, good saves against the RS (several times, in fact he was the only arsed player in that thrashing they gave us a few years ago, shame the rest weren't. Only player that stopped us getting absolutely destroyed even further), etc. etc., but those don't get mentioned, just that one mistake against Spurs which apparently got us relegated and put into administration, 45 points were deducted and naturally heads rolled everywhere. Oh and after he missed that save he booted a ball boy straight in the face and slagged off every single Evertonian in the crowd that day.

He's had some mares against big clubs too though if we're being honest

The Quarter Final against Arsenal for instance

I've been impressed so far this season, but I also understand why others might be wary, even though I thought he was unfairly blamed for the Spurs game

He needs some consistent good performances against top sides to win the doubters over I reckon

Two great performances in the next two games will go a long way to strengthening him against his critics

Good luck to him I say!

He's had some mares against big clubs too though if we're being honest

The Quarter Final against Arsenal for instance

I've been impressed so far this season, but I also understand why others might be wary, even though I thought he was unfairly blamed for the Spurs game

He needs some consistent good performances against top sides to win the doubters over I reckon

Two great performances in the next two games will go a long way to strengthening him against his critics

Good luck to him I say!
As did Howard and all before him, basically as does every keeper. Seem to recall Cech having an absolute stinker several times in cups/CL, but hey ho, amazing keeper.

He is human after all. Schmeichel makes mistakes too, as does *every* player.

But agreed, good luck to him, we are never an easy crowd to please so...

Status
Not open for further replies.