James McCarthy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Isn't that the point though? Their medical staff said they couldn't see any problem, but James kept telling them of a discomfort. It was then decided that they should send him home to be on the safe side.
From the ROI side they only have the players word he's feeling discomfort. I imagine Keane knows this is exactly the sort of 'injury' that a player can or would fake to get sent back, he perhaps just doesn't believe James and thinks the Bobby has put him up to it to get him a weeks rest.

It doesn't matter in a way if the injury is real or not, it's down to the perception brought about by his past withdrawals and the trust between James and the ROI management
What a load of nonsense.
Anybody who watched the Sunderland game could see McCarthy really struggling with injury.
He was assessed at the Irish camp to see if the injury was clearing up, it obviously was'nt.
James was then told by O'Neill to go back to Everton.....End of.
There really is no issue here.

I think Jagielka will play for sure!

Wouldn't be surprised if McCarthy and Baines started too but I think it would be a risk.

Kev will return against Spurs

And as for Gibson, he's probably on that camel ride of Kone's, setting off on a trip and disappearing for three months.

I think Jagielka will play for sure!

Wouldn't be surprised if McCarthy and Baines started too but I think it would be a risk.

Kev will return against Spurs

And as for Gibson, he's probably on that camel ride of Kone's, setting off on a trip and disappearing for three months.

that sounds like an amazing pitch for a quirky carton show: the gibbo and kone show

Irish Independent this morning.....

Martinez claims that McCarthy was 'desperate' to be involved against Scotland

Everton manager Roberto Martinez says that James McCarthy was desperate to be involved in last Friday's Euro 2016 qualifier with Scotland and claimed he could miss Saturday's Premier League meeting with West Ham.

The midfielder's absence from the Irish loss in Glasgow has become a source of controversy after Roy Keane inferred that the player and his club colleague Seamus Coleman are being put under too much pressure by his club around international windows.
And Martin O'Neill said on Monday that he expected that McCarthy would play in Everton's next outing.
However, Martinez has cast doubt on the player's involvement on Saturday, adding that he is yet to return to training.
The Spaniard also told the Everton website that the player was very keen to represent his country at Celtic Park.
"James was desperate to be involved with his national team but he couldn't make it," said Martinez.
"We will try to get him fit for West Ham but it is a bit too early to tell. He hasn't been able to train with the team and that is a worry on a Tuesday leading up to a Saturday game.
"It's James' second injury of this nature in the last month and that's a bit of a worry. We need to give him perfect treatment and make sure he is fully fit."

Martinez will be asked to discuss Keane's comments in more detail at a press conference later this week. O'Neill also indicated that he might look to speak to his Everton counterpart after Keane's call for a sitdown discussion with a view to the remainder of the Euro 2016 qualifying group.
Meanwhile, Darron Gibson is a doubt for the weekend with a minor knee complaint arising from the Scotland fixture.
An injury to Gareth Barry has opened the door for the Derryman to get back into the Everton side and get some badly needed game-time.
"Darron got a bit of soreness in his knee," said Martinez, "He had a year-long lay-off with his ligaments, so we need to be cautious but I'm very confident he will be available to train very soon."

Gibson is in competition with Bosnian Mo Besic for Barry's regular place in the side next to McCarthy.
He has yet to start a Premier League match for his employers since his return from a setback sustained on Ireland duty.
Irish Independent

I dont think McCarthy should be used this Saturday if we can get others back in. Besic plus Gibson, if he's recovered. Failing that I'd drop Barkley back to partner Besic in DM and play Eto'o in behind Lukaku.

Martinez has had the opportunity to rotate more often in this area and hasn't taken it. Now we're paying the price.

We've got to be very careful with him, a player like him is always going to play with knocks but playing with a soft tissue injury can risk serious injury.

What do people think is the more important game, West Ham or Wolsburg?

...at the moment, I'm with the cliché of looking one game at a time. I don't think RM should 'save' anybody for Wolfsburg if they are fit and available for West Ham. Pick your best available starting X1 for Saturday and consider your options for Wolfsburg following that.

I dont think McCarthy should be used this Saturday if we can get others back in. Besic plus Gibson, if he's recovered. Failing that I'd drop Barkley back to partner Besic in DM and play Eto'o in behind Lukaku.

Martinez has had the opportunity to rotate more often in this area and hasn't taken it. Now we're paying the price.
You could even use Naismith behind Lukaku if desired and sort of "save" Eto'o for Wolfsburg. It'd be nice to have McCarthy back for West Ham but winning and possibly ensuring last 32 qualification would be great despite needing league points.

Status
Not open for further replies.