James McCarthy

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not doubting that Schweinsteiger has been the better player over his career, but stats aren't everything either.

http://eplreview.com/statistics-topassists.htm#EPL2014-15TopAssists

This has Chris Brunt on 9 assists with the likes of Ozil, Coutinho and Mata on 4 and 5. Doesn't make Brunt the better player.

McCarthy's game is about more than assists and goals. You don't get stats points for preventing goals with tracking back etc and sensing danger. I'd say McCarthy is up there with the best of them for doing that. That's just one aspect of his game where he is very good.
Tell me you aren't comparing McCarthy to Schweinsteiger? Please.

there was a lot of energy fretting over this non existent story wasn't there !,never believed this was on ,got a feeling he'll play for RM wherever or whatever Martinez does,a bit like the McGovern / Clough relationship. wouldn't be surprised if he get's given the captaincy one day.

Tell me you aren't comparing McCarthy to Schweinsteiger? Please.

If you read my post properly instead of trying to get a patronising dig in, you would see that I was referring to the best players in McCarthy's position and their goal scoring records since people were discussing the need for more goals from him. If you look at a lot of the best defensive midfielders around, where I highlighted Schweinsteiger as one of them, they don't actually score much more than McCarthy does now. 3-6 goals seems to be standard but people are making out he needs to add 10 goals to his game in order to justify the hype.

I disagree with that as I don't believe his game is about goals and assists. He is vital to the team in other ways. Obviously it would make him a better player if he could add those things a bit more but people will be disappointed if they think he is going to turn in to a driving goal scoring midfielder who has vision and plays through balls all the time. That's not the type of player he is.

If you read my post properly instead of trying to get a patronising dig in, you would see that I was referring to the best players in McCarthy's position and their goal scoring records since people were discussing the need for more goals from him. If you look at a lot of the best defensive midfielders around, where I highlighted Schweinsteiger as one of them, they don't actually score much more than McCarthy does now. 3-6 goals seems to be standard but people are making out he needs to add 10 goals to his game in order to justify the hype.

I disagree with that as I don't believe his game is about goals and assists. He is vital to the team in other ways. Obviously it would make him a better player if he could add those things a bit more but people will be disappointed if they think he is going to turn in to a driving goal scoring midfielder who has vision and plays through balls all the time. That's not the type of player he is.
Funnily enough apart from the opening two lines above, as I wasn't taking a dig, I agree with all that.
Our problem is we have too many defensive, non scoring or non-creative midfielders. Not McCarthy's fault. He needs to be around 2 attacking midfield threats to be fully appreciated.

Funnily enough apart from the opening two lines above, as I wasn't taking a dig, I agree with all that.
Our problem is we have too many defensive, non scoring or non-creative midfielders. Not McCarthy's fault. He needs to be around 2 attacking midfield threats to be fully appreciated.

Fair enough, I agree there too. One of the problems we had last season is that Barry's performances were so much poorer than the season before and Besic is far too limited in an attacking sense, just as McCarthy is.

The Gibson situation is frustrating as he shows he has class but i've written him off now as he lasts 2-3 games each time before being injured. We really need a creative player to drive forward and create chances.

Hopefully Barkley will have a good season this time and his runs forward can open up space for Lukaku.

Status
Not open for further replies.