If he was willing to come would you pay 20-25 million for Lukaku?

If he was willing to come would you pay 20-25 million for Lukaku?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
We have a very strong core, I would like to think Bobby knows what he's doing. I suspect that Romelu is part of the plan.

I dont understand why posters keeping quoting that he is only aged 20. That for me is the worry.
At his age and with his physique he should be offering far more. As his age grows he isnt likely to get less lazy and his technical shortfalls improve.

I dont understand why posters keeping quoting that he is only aged 20. That for me is the worry.
At his age and with his physique he should be offering far more. As his age grows he isnt likely to get less lazy and his technical shortfalls improve.
Disagree that he's lazy.

Think he can't handle the workload of being the lone striker in a squad. Looks brilliant for 5-6 games, then falls away. Stamina will come with age. Will also help to have Kone back.

As for his technical shortfalls, that's precisely the sort of thing that can come with age. It's the physical bits that don't change much.

Firstly he is scoring 15-20 goals a season.

Secondly he is 20 years old.

Thirdly he is 6'3".

He has it all, he isn't the finished article but who the hell is? Seriously who would we possibly sign even close?

Not sure if a wind up or not.

He has scored 30 goals in the last two seasons, is capable of destroying teams (Arsenal and Liverpool at Goodison) and is 20 years old. 20.

usually you quote a players age as a means of highlighting their physical potential - most 20 year olds like John Stones have a few years of filling out to reach their physical potential - not to learn how to control a football. Lukaku is physically matured and then some.

Another player who was physically mature at that age was Rooney... he didn't need a few years to learn how to jump, stay balanced or control a ball. Decision making is something that the players learn over time, if it was just that for Lukaku I would say great, lets buy him. He is technically just not good enough. The things he is missing should have been evident way before now.

He will score goals if you fire it across the 6 yard box or play him through - but you can buy that type of striker for far less than £20m - Hallam Hope could be that striker...

I would sign him for 20m for two reasons.

1) He wouldn't depreciate in value due to his previous Premier League goal scoring exploits.

2) We should have other viable options upfront next season. If we can rotate, keeping him fresh and hungry, I think that he will be more consistent throughout the course of a season.

Reactions: obc
I would sign him for 20m for two reasons.

1) He wouldn't depreciate in value due to his previous Premier League goal scoring exploits.

2) We should have other viable options upfront next season. If we can rotate, keeping him fresh and hungry, I think that he will be more consistent throughout the course of a season.

Knowing our luck we would sign him for 25M then his ACL would snap in pre-season

They all look good to me. What are you against mate?

all untested in decent leagues and batshuyai aside all more experienced than lukaku who is younger and scored near 20 a season in a top league.

like has been mentioned mate all the other players who have scored more than 20 a season are your players we could never attract with our finances/wages/lack of CL football lukaku is the next best thing no doubt. he needs someone to take over from him when tired all young players need rotating barkley, sterling, townsend few have the stamina to play week in week out which lukaku has, him with traore covering he would be brilliant.

all untested in decent leagues and batshuyai aside all more experienced than lukaku who is younger and scored near 20 a season in a top league.

like has been mentioned mate all the other players who have scored more than 20 a season are your players we could never attract with our finances/wages/lack of CL football lukaku is the next best thing no doubt. he needs someone to take over from him when tired all young players need rotating barkley, sterling, townsend few have the stamina to play week in week out which lukaku has, him with traore covering he would be brilliant.

Untested and poor signings are two different things.
Messi was untested at one point.

These guys genuinely know how to put a ball in the back of the net, half of these from Alfred for example would go in in the prem

Don't dismiss them because they are from a less league mate, so was Coleman, you pay less because of the risk, could probably get all three for the same money as Lukaku and on lesser wages as well.

I believe he's both worth it and not worth it. It's a schrodingers cat type situation. We won't know until we open the box.

He is regressing actually. He was better in West Broms team due to their counter attacking style, facing back fours and running at them almost like a 6.3 powerhouse winger.

People need to stop acting silly pretending he fits our possession system because he has scored a few knock-ins (and the one against Arsenal where he looked like a 6.3 powerhouse winger) oh wait a minute...

I have said it before, he has none of the main attributes to be the focal point of a possession styled team, loose touch, awful link-up play, no creativity, doesn't use his physical strength, terribe heading, poor work rate, doesn't show appreciation for space or draw away defenders, he is 21 this month so these excuses cannot be used forever, if there was atleast a sign of improvement from last year then maybe I would say he is worth it but I see nothing to suggest that.

Lastly, can people stop comparing his goals tally to players we have previously had - who played in much lesser footballing teams, its inaccurate and should not be used as ammunition for this discussion.

Last edited:
Imagine paying 20mil for our top scorer this season, a season which saw us secure the most points we've had since the start of the premiership.
Works for me.

imagine paying 20 mil for last years top scorer who had 1 less goal than rom an done it from midfield

If this is as bad a season he has here, then I'd sign him without question. He's 20, only gonna get better, and you never know he could add something valuable to his game if he stays here. If he becomes very very good while he's here then he'll end up being worth more than what we're gonna pay for him if we have to sell him to Real or something(who knows). He's got almost his whole career ahead of him. Knock on wood.

He is regressing actually. He was better in West Broms team due to their counter attacking style, facing back fours and running at them almost like a 6.3 powerhouse winger.

People need to stop acting silly pretending he fits our possession system because he has scored a few knock-ins (and the one against Arsenal where he looked like a 6.3 powerhouse winger) oh wait a minute...

I have said it before, he has none of the main attributes to be the focal point of a possession styled team, loose touch, awful link-up play, no creativity, doesn't use his physical strength, terribe heading, poor work rate, doesn't show appreciation for space or draw away defenders, he is 21 this month so these excuses cannot be used forever, if there was atleast a sign of improvement from last year then maybe I would say he is worth it but I see nothing to suggest that.

Lastly, can people stop comparing his goals tally to players we have previously had - who played in much lesser footballing teams, its inaccurate and should not be used as ammunition for this discussion.

He has 14 goals in 30 games for us. Playing in a possession based team. Having the ball is great but without Lukaku in the team we have barely scored. You need someone able to offer a threat and he has been great at that.

Can you offer a suggestion of who would be more suitable in a similar price range?

Status
Not open for further replies.