Howard

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll just keep saying it as I have in this thread for awhile.

He's gonna be the first choice for a few more years.

Get used to it.

I know mate. Had this particular debate with them a million times. Opinions eh?

Haha...

Yeah. Steken is the guy who thinks CONCACAF WCQ is a walk in the park.

I might listen to such an opinion if it was based on:

1) Fact

and

2) Someone who's actually watched away matches in Costa Rica, Mexico, etc...

But since neither A or B apply, I'm confident that his opinions on Howard are roughly based on the same.

Next.

I'll just keep saying it as I have in this thread for awhile.

He's gonna be the first choice for a few more years.

Get used to it.

Exactly mate, and happy enough with that, that's just where we sit as a club, without funding and the ability to be a consistent Champions League team. Plus I love his beard.

Haha...

1) Fact

and

But since neither A or B apply, I'm confident that his opinions on Howard are roughly based on the same.

Next.

Mine are based on sitting behind him at the game for 6 years. Just to his right Row EE 80. Perfect view. I see every single thing he does and doesn't do. As informed as you're likely to get.

About CONCACAF

What CONCACAF sides have gone on to do well at a major championship like the WC? Tells you it's standard.

Here's the powerhouse top ten of CONCACAF.

United States
Costa Rica
Mexico
Honduras
Panama
Jamaica
Guatemala
El Salvador
Canada
Trinidad and Tobago

More than a few of those nations have had several players plying their trades in league 1/2 over here. Costa Rica's best player is our reserve LB. Cost 1.6m.

You seem to be implying I've got a anti-american bias. Not true. I think both Guzan and Friedel are great keepers. I do think on average american fans over estimate the quality of their own players, BUT, read any paper in England and you'll see that every day here.

My opinions are based on what I see.

CONCACAF get 3 and a half places.

The top two are decent sides.

But the standard of the teams not the top 2 is so low that they have to really try not to qualify.

I mean in 2010, 3rd and 4th were Honduras (who didn't win a game at the world cup) and Costa Rica (who lost in the play off). In 2006, 3rd was Costa Rica (who didn't win a game at the world cup) and 4th was Trinidad & Tobago (who didn't win a game at the world cup). In 2002 they got three and the third team, Costa Rica, didn't get out of their group. In 1998, the third team, jamaica, didn't get out of their group and in 1994 the thrid team, Canada, didn't get past Australia in the play off.

So ignoring the top two, over the last five world cups that's seven teams. Two fell at the play off. Three out of the five who made it didn't win a game at the world cup. The other two beating only china and japan back when asia were terrible. And none of the seven made it to the knock out stages.

I think USA and Mexico have been, at various stages, good enough to qualify out of UEFA. So they really really have to feck up to not make the top 4 in the group of 6 of crap concacaf sides. Which is why they always do it.

Mexico have been to more world cups than 4 of the 8 nations to have won it. And they've never got further than the QFs. So qualifying can't be all that hard.

Haha...

1) Fact

and

Next.

i'm not even sure he will be first choice by the end of this season mate. Robles is a very good keeper.

More than a few of those nations have had several players plying their trades in league 1/2 over here. Costa Rica's best player is our reserve LB. Cost 1.6m.

I don't care one way or the other, but you're not helping your argument when you make statements like this.

I don't care one way or the other, but you're not helping your argument when you make statements like this.

Why is that? The team ranked 6th in CONCACAF Jamaica. Record cap holder since Nov 09 Ian Goodison. Played for Tranmere since 04.

Why is that? The team ranked 6th in CONCACAF Jamaica. Record cap holder since Nov 09 Ian Goodison. Played for Tranmere since 04.

So I quote you on Costa Rica, and you bring up Jamaica? You know these are two different nations, right?

...he's been a decent purchase but I suppose a replacement is all about prioritisation. We've needed to strengthen elsewhere first. I have a feeling he's already set his sights on a return home and his form has reflected this in the last 12 months, but he's ok and will do for now. I have to add that I don't like his beard.

...he's been a decent purchase but I suppose a replacement is all about prioritisation. We've needed to strengthen elsewhere first. I have a feeling he's already set his sights on a return home and his form has reflected this in the last 12 months, but he's ok and will do for now. I have to add that I don't like his beard.

....I agree with this.

He's been fine. And we have needed to strengthen other areas way more than the keeper. But if we get stronger then we'll need a stronger keeper too.

Status
Not open for further replies.