How would you describe Kanchelskis ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has it ever come out in any of Fergie's books why he fell out with him at ManUre?
Guessing it will be the usual 'Russian Gentlemen' subtext but I was still quite surprised when he made the switch. I'm also quite surprised that we took him if there was known' Russian Gentleman' issues no matter how awesome he was as I'm guessing it would have been known about within the game.

If we could find another like him we would challenge for the title never mind top 4
That one full season he played for us he was one of the best ever players to wear the shirt
Gutted when he left

Fast, Direct, with one of the hardest shots i've seen. Like Ronaldo without all the fancy stuff.

Royle made the point the other day that the money on offer in Italy was far in excess of what the Permier League could pay at the time of Kanchelskis' departure, so I guess that had a lot to do with his dramatic loss of form - I think the mafia connection claims are the results of some people weighing in with cultural stereotypes in the absence of any hard facts.

Gareth Bale in his penultimate season at Spurs, beat the man in front of him, turn on the afterburners, then just before the full back, cut in and head straight for goal, thunderous volley, job done! The best 'traditional' winger (i.e. Mainly a provider of goals) I ever saw in blue was Davey Thomas, who probably set up 20+ of Bob Latchfords goals in his 30 goal season. however, as a stand alone player Kanchelskis was fabulous. the best compliment I can give him was that it was impossible to stay in your seat when he was running with the ball! what he would be worth today is mind-boggling!

Fantastic.

The fact that he makes a lot of fans' best XI sides (mine too, and I saw the '80's team) even though he was here a short time says a lot.

If you were put it in modern day terms it would be like Everton signing Someone like Mata or Willian now. At a stretch maybe even Di Maria. Not in terms of how they play or position wise but in significance. He was one of Utd's best players and he came to us. They were such optimistic times...I really thought it was the dawning of a new era. Oh well.

If I'd compare him to a modern player it would be Robben.

Don't think they are too similar, personally.

Very quick and direct. He made excellent runs off the ball. Had a knack of regularly beating the goalkeeper at his near post, which was normally due to getting his shot off early. He tended to do the same things over and over but was so good at them defenders failed to stop him - which, I suppose, is true of Robben too.

Status
Not open for further replies.