Gareth Barry

Status
Not open for further replies.
For whatever reason the Besic and Barkley partnership doesn't seem to work. Barkley/Barry was decent vs City, besic/Barkley vs QPR but can't think of a game so far that just the two have performed well together.

If mcCarthy is out for Stoke think we either need to play a midfield three or partner Barkley with one of them - probably Besic on recent form.

For whatever reason the Besic and Barkley partnership doesn't seem to work. Barkley/Barry was decent vs City, besic/Barkley vs QPR but can't think of a game so far that just the two have performed well together.

If mcCarthy is out for Stoke think we either need to play a midfield three or partner Barkley with one of them - probably Besic on recent form.
Agree and said it before the game. But Barry was beter last season it s just hes gone ....

Agree and said it before the game. But Barry was beter last season it s just hes gone ....
Perhaps but he was playing fine before his injury when partnered with McCarthy and even vs City he played much better once Besic went off - not hard admittedly as he was awful for the first half but still there was a noticeable uptick.

Some players bring out the best in each other whilst some just don't click and end up being less than the sum of their parts. Unfortunately looks the latter with Besic/Barry.

Had no right returning to the starting eleven today. Him returning essentially unbalanced the team.
Southamptons midfield was begging to get bossed, so why not leave Besic and Barkley in there. Barry wasn't needed, and he didn't even help today, so it was pretty pointless bringing him back in.

Thats my worry with Roberto. Some players (Baines, Barry, Howard) need dropping, deserve it too, but i dont think he will.

Agree with that 100%. It looked that way at the first game though they played together. Barry is better with a more defensive minded, quick partner (McCarthy) and Besic is better with any attacking minded one (Barkley or like Pjanic at the WC). The manager has to realize this and if he was keen to play Barry today then he should have dropped Besic to the bench. And yet we haven't seen McCarthy and Besic playing together: I'm curious if it's working or not. The other thing I don't understand is why Besic has to step back to centre half when Distin or Jags moving deeper. His abilities (dribbling, switching the game) could make the game faster if Barry stepped back in these occasions. Altough it all worked against QPR when he was 'alone'. This kind of difference between the players' abilities should be a great thing: normally it allows the managers to vary on tactics, lineups, etc. But Martinez just seems to overlook this...

Agree with that 100%. It looked that way at the first game though they played together. Barry is better with a more defensive minded, quick partner (McCarthy) and Besic is better with any attacking minded one (Barkley or like Pjanic at the WC). The manager has to realize this and if he was keen to play Barry today then he should have dropped Besic to the bench. And yet we haven't seen McCarthy and Besic playing together: I'm curious if it's working or not. The other thing I don't understand is why Besic has to step back to centre half when Distin or Jags moving deeper. His abilities (dribbling, switching the game) could make the game faster if Barry stepped back in these occasions. Altough it all worked against QPR when he was 'alone'. This kind of difference between the players' abilities should be a great thing: normally it allows the managers to vary on tactics, lineups, etc. But Martinez just seems to overlook this...
Besic did seem to thrive in that "alone" role vs QPR although it was QPR so don't want to read too much into it. A McCarthy/ Besic partnership is worth trying although at this point having McCarthy in the pitch partnering anyone would be a welcome sight!

I too thought that it should be Barry covering for the CBs when they went forward but perhaps Martinez was concerned about the pace on the break. Besic did stop a couple of their forays playing that role otherwise the scoreline would have been even worse - his performance was one a few bright spots in a bad game.

Besic did seem to thrive in that "alone" role vs QPR although it was QPR so don't want to read too much into it. A McCarthy/ Besic partnership is worth trying although at this point having McCarthy in the pitch partnering anyone would be a welcome sight!

I too thought that it should be Barry covering for the CBs when they went forward but perhaps Martinez was concerned about the pace on the break. Besic did stop a couple of their forays playing that role otherwise the scoreline would have been even worse - his performance was one a few bright spots in a bad game.
Yeah, I know it was just QPR and McCarthy is vital. The first game I watched him and Stones impressed me. On the other hand his absence today should have been equalised with a strong and proper lineup where everybody plays at his position. No doubt that he will play against Stoke after today, question is with who in pair? I have a feeling that it will be Barry.

Can anybody tell me what Barry has done this season to warrant an automatic place???? , amazes me , absolute liability !

Be
Be good to see how many were clammering to sign Barry in the summer are now baying for his blood !! Just saying.
Lets get Reid n bracewell back then ???? People arnt wrong wanting us to sign a player, performing and then not wanting him in team when he's not !!!! That's what is wrong with football in general, fans n media living on Names n past Glories, that's why England are a joke n always will be !!!!

Be good to see how many were clammering to sign Barry in the summer are now baying for his blood !! Just saying.
I'm a big Barry fan and was glad we signed him as once he can't play midfield can see him moving to CB or being sold to the MLS. After a slow start think he was fine this season up until two bad tackles messed up his ankle.

However he hasn't been great the past few games. Whether that is due to his injury, the Besic/Barry partnership not clicking or him just being in a rut I don't know. I'm hoping it is e middle one as that is the easiest to solve.

Status
Not open for further replies.