Gareth Barry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looked better when Besic went off, equally Besic was the better player when they were both on the pitch (watching him was like watching Barry last season).

As it stands i think Besic should be first choice.

Gaz has been under the weather since he's returned from injury. Maybe if we injure him again, he'd be boss after returning?

Looked better when Besic went off, equally Besic was the better player when they were both on the pitch (watching him was like watching Barry last season).

As it stands i think Besic should be first choice.
Yeah. It's funny though coz I was really disappointed when he took Besic off instead of Barry as Barry has been really off colour and was on a yellow. However,as you say he improved afterwards. Would like to see Besic and McCarthy develop as a centre mid combination.

Barry suffers from having no obvious personality off the pitch. For me he's been one of the very best players in his position over the last ten years. When we signed him from Villa many were skeptical, but he proved one of the best signings we've ever made. Away from the pitch he never caused us a problem like other players can, a proper old-school pro. On it, he was very rarely below 7.5/10, had one or two absolute mares a season but was unbelievably consistent and always mentioned as a contender for Player of the Year. When it became apparent that he no longer fitted in with our plans most supporters strongly disagreed, many still do, we've thrown money at replacements but none do what he could. From afar, i thought he was excellent last season, and for £2m, if that's even what he cost, has probably already justified his transfer fee. Besic looks a strong prospect, too.

Bit confused as to how spending 2mil and signing on fees and decent wages for an old timer with a 3 year contract helps a club like Everton.

The fact is that he's a good player to have in the squad but as with all players coming to their twilight years needs to be rotated.

I doubt he will be at the top level for the duration of his contract but hope during that time he has a positive inpact on ledson and besic

Barry suffers from having no obvious personality off the pitch. For me he's been one of the very best players in his position over the last ten years. When we signed him from Villa many were skeptical, but he proved one of the best signings we've ever made. Away from the pitch he never caused us a problem like other players can, a proper old-school pro. On it, he was very rarely below 7.5/10, had one or two absolute mares a season but was unbelievably consistent and always mentioned as a contender for Player of the Year. When it became apparent that he no longer fitted in with our plans most supporters strongly disagreed, many still do, we've thrown money at replacements but none do what he could. From afar, i thought he was excellent last season, and for £2m, if that's even what he cost, has probably already justified his transfer fee. Besic looks a strong prospect, too.

I'm more interested in how he is performing now, and how he will perform in the future, rather than how he was performing two years ago when he was 32 and not 34.

He's in his 30s so naturally it will take him longer to get up to speed after an injury than a player in their mid 20s. We know how effective he was for us last season, you don't lose it overnight.

We'll get more out of Barry if he isn't playing twice a week. At the moment we haven't got much choice but eaier in the season he should have been rested.

Looks to me like his legs have suddenly completely gone. Hope I'm wrong.
looks like he (and Bobby) are trying to play his way back to full match fitness. He's some way off that at the moment (ie. gash), and trying to get himself sent off last weekend with the 2 assaults on Milner is not helping. I hope he makes it back. Important player for us.

I have noticed the two things people slated me for in the summer seems to be both gathering a lot of pace within a few months.

Barry isnt going to be the player he was last season because he is a year older. Of course he is declining, most older players are compared to Pirlo or Giggs very unfairly because they will get worse over time. I knew barry would be declining as he shown that from jan onwards that he wasnt the player he used to be. Yes he can do a job still but the next 6 months needs to be the changeover from barry to besic in the first team so the team is stronger for next year.

I still think a lot of blues talking about barry is largely the same to kopites about their captain. 'he's still got it', 'still talented', 'doesnt go overnight' 'experienced' etc i am sure the RAWK thread on slippy and this thread over the past few months will be mirror images almost

Status
Not open for further replies.