Elstone on Summer transfer/Everton Finance/Ground Move etc TV Debate! etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it really surprising that there is a grey area though? I mean it's one thing for transfer fees to be in the open but quite another for things like players salaries, agents fees and so on to be made public knowledge. Would all of us here be happy for our income to become public property?

Is it really surprising that there is a grey area though? I mean it's one thing for transfer fees to be in the open but quite another for things like players salaries, agents fees and so on to be made public knowledge. Would all of us here be happy for our income to become public property?

Hold on, we've just been told that the manager was involved in every step of the process of bringing players in and selling them according to Elstone. If, at the end of that process, the manager is telling us the CEO's figures dont tally how is that room for different interpretations? Unless, of course, the CEO is saying Moyes is too thick to follow the process?

Firstly we're assuming that Moyes has been quoted correctly. Secondly we're assuming that Moyes isn't playing a bit of politics to try and get more money.

Assuming that to be the case though once again I'd be surprised if Moyes knew the fine detail of the financial goings on the club. Accounts at a business the size of Everton are far from a simple affair and I would have thought Moyes would have his hands full with the playing side of things. No one is saying he's thick but there are people training in that sort of thing, and they're training because its not something a layman can generally pick up on the fly.

I'm sure he'll have ball park figures in his head and an approximate budget to work with, and will then have discussed players that fit into that ball park with the board. I can't imagine he'll have then concerned himself too much with financial negotiations.

Firstly we're assuming that Moyes has been quoted correctly. .

What else can you conceivably go on?

Secondly we're assuming that Moyes isn't playing a bit of politics to try and get more money..

What, we're not to assume while you assume away yourself? :oops:

Assuming that to be the case though once again I'd be surprised if Moyes knew the fine detail of the financial goings on the club. Accounts at a business the size of Everton are far from a simple affair and I would have thought Moyes would have his hands full with the playing side of things. No one is saying he's thick but there are people training in that sort of thing, and they're training because its not something a layman can generally pick up on the fly.

But if that's a defence of Elstone's position it doesn't make sense for him to state Moyes was brought into the early transfer window meetings and decision making - including wages and signing fees etc. Why have him there? Besides all that, Moyes' brother is an agent. Do you think he'd be ignorant of the sums involved? I dont. I think Moyes has a mind like a steel trap.

I don't think he'd be ignorant of the sums involved. Like I said I'm sure he'll know the ball park figures and the kind of parameters involved but it also seems conceivable that the club spent more on the wages side of things to get players in so close to the end of the window. Wasn't Heitinger for instance one who initially balked at the wages on offer?

I'm not trying to say what is or what isn't, merely what's conceivable.

Not being an ass, but they don't have to tell us. They are only obligated to the shareholders.

Not bothered whether he tells us or not, I'd quite happily sit here none the wiser. It's being lied to that bothers me

I don't think he'd be ignorant of the sums involved. Like I said I'm sure he'll know the ball park figures and the kind of parameters involved but it also seems conceivable that the club spent more on the wages side of things to get players in so close to the end of the window. Wasn't Heitinger for instance one who initially balked at the wages on offer?

Cutting to the chase, I think the CEO is making an ass of himself. He's felt the need to publicly set his explanation of the transfer window (again) contra to the view the manager holds of it. That's a running debate he cant win. He should exercise some judgement and belt up about it. The window's gone.

A Night Out In Hamburg – ToffeeBlog – News – evertonfc.com – The Official Website of Everton Football Club

Speaking on the Daily Post website last week, I was challenged about how much we’ve spent. Are we continuing to support the Manager to the limit? Are we looking to build on the successes of 2008/09? The answer is absolutely yes. The answer is that the Lescott proceeds, after the sell-on fee payable to Wolves, and after funding the not unsubstantial agents’ fees, transfer levies, solidarity payments and financing charges, and after picking up a significant increase in our player wage costs has been more than fully spent. In fact there’s been an ‘overspend’ by more than the original budget we set when we were trying to sign Naughton, Delph, Elm and others, in June."

Over to you Moyesie.

:oops:

Cutting to the chase, I think the CEO is making an ass of himself. He's felt the need to publicly set his explanation of the transfer window (again) contra to the view the manager holds of it. That's a running debate he cant win. He should exercise some judgement and belt up about it. The window's gone.

David Moyes believes he should be given more money to spend, and has made the bold move of coutnering a claim by Robert Elstone that Everton had spent more than just the Joleon Lescott money.

“You can work it out for yourself,” said te Goodison boss.

“Bilyaletdinov, Heitinga and Distin came to roughly £19m give or take a bit, and money we got back for Lescott after we paid Wolves is about £19m”.

“We’ve only spent what we have brought in, we haven’t spent any other cash on top of that. That’s what it looks like to me. Times are hard, so I will work to what I can do.
" The answer is that the Lescott proceeds, after the sell-on fee payable to Wolves, and after funding the not unsubstantial agents’ fees, transfer levies, solidarity payments and financing charges, and after picking up a significant increase in our player wage costs has been more than fully spent"

How much does all of that come to?

And is Moyes taking that into account or purely transfer fees?

I think all of the stuff about what we spent on transfer fees this season is mildly interesting, but not the major point.

The figures suggest that we get £20 million a year from Goodison, while Arsenal get £40 million a year from their stadium.

Do we believe that we will get that kind of additional revenue? an extra £20 Million to spend on players each season, doesnt sound too bad does it?

IF it is true, surely moving is a "no brainer"??

I think all of the stuff about what we spent on transfer fees this season is mildly interesting, but not the major point.

The figures suggest that we get £20 million a year from Goodison, while Arsenal get £40 million a year from their stadium.

Do we believe that we will get that kind of additional revenue? an extra £20 Million to spend on players each season, doesnt sound too bad does it?

I didn't even realise Arsenal's new stadium was for sale, let alone that Everton were interested in buying it - KEIOC will definitely oppose the idea!

Except that the club has said that in the best case the Kirkby stadium will bring in just 6 million extra. And that's dependant on increased attendances and other factors.

Except that the club has said that in the best case the Kirkby stadium will bring in just 6 million extraa. And that's dependant on increased attendances and other factors.

Lol hook, line and sinker for me - prices wont rise will they. Of course they will - love the way the club arent liers when it suits their "agenda".

If it is 6 mill a season (and it wont be) thats 30 mill every five years, 10 years coluld see us compleatlely wipe out our debt based on that additional minimal figure of six million.

But the £6m figure is only got after selling out nearly every single game, considering the huge amount of fans who wont go the game after Kirkby, thats going to be near impossible.

And your also forgetting the huge amounts of money we need to find in order to help fund this, "virtually free world class iconic stadium".

Lets just all agree its a shitty idea and move on.

Lol hook, line and sinker for me - prices wont rise will they. Of course they will - love the way the club arent liers when it suits their "agenda".

If it is 6 mill a season (and it wont be) thats 30 mill every five years, 10 years coluld see us compleatlely wipe out our debt based on that additional minimal figure of six million.
So what is the clubs angle on telling everyone the _minimum_ extra revenue the stadium would generate? Don't be silly, that is the maximum the stadium could generate because they are trying to sell the idea to the supporters. If they thought the stadium could generate 10 million they would use that figure.

And that 6 million is based on selling out every match. So you are looking at a 50,000 crowds for the next 10 years. Does it sound realistic to you? Where are the 10,000+ new spectators coming from, especially considering it will be much more time-consuming to get to the stadium? How many times will the average punter walk 40 minutes in the rain to get to his car after the match? Or stand in the rain for an hour outside the Kirkby railway station?

But the £6m figure is only got after selling out nearly every single game, considering the huge amount of fans who wont go the game after Kirkby, thats going to be near impossible.

And your also forgetting the huge amounts of money we need to find in order to help fund this, "virtually free world class iconic stadium".

Lets just all agree its a shitty idea and move on.

Not for me - im all for it.

Though i take your point we only have an outline of figures at the moment and i wasnt that impressed with Bobs museings on naming rights, Goodison and Bellfeild - which lets face rely very much on council co-operation.

Im utterly convinced after visiting the majority of grounds in the Uk similar to the capacity we're talking at Kirkby and Evertons fan base, related to the performences on the pitch that the 6 mill figure above is conservetive. To quote one offical at a club i visited the stadium would survive without the club but the club wouldnt surive without the stadium - its all about the corporote facilites really that were the cream is.

Additionaly if Uefa get their way - its likely they may, clubs will be forced to use their revenue to fund their activites such as wages and tranfers rather then cash gifts from owners (i know) making increaseing revenue streams on an annual basis the only show in town for clubs like Everton.

Anyway theres a stadium thread so i wont go on.

Status
Not open for further replies.