Elstone on Summer transfer/Everton Finance/Ground Move etc TV Debate! etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
any key points to read without having to watch 33 mins worth.. sorry

He says:

- We spent the Lescott money and 5 mill extra in the transfer window and took on an extra 3 mill on the wage bill!

- The need for a new investment/owner to push on.

- We have a wage bill for a top ten team - but finish 5th.

- The model of recruitment is very much based on buying young cheap talent and developing - and aquiring a resale value to make a profit if we need to sell.

Kirkby

- Reckons we will fill the new ground to capacity, through pricing, marketing, better viewing positions, historical upturn in atendences when clubs move to a new ground.

- Will develop a transport system "when" the move is given a green light.

- Project cost 130 - Evertons cost is 78 mill to the project.

- Will be found through the sale of Goodison, Bellfeild, Sponsorship - naming rights etc.

- Kirkby could be put forward as a ground for the World Cup - unlikely that Liverpools will be firmed by December - could significantly improve Evertons ability to negotiate sponsorship.

- Naming rights: Met a global brand in Japan to discuss naming rights when the stadium was called in that scuppered a deal.

- Says that if the Capital sales of Goodison, Bellfeild, Sponsership etc dont meet expectation and the club have to take on significant debt then the move wont go ahead - he doesnt see this as a problem.

- Everton give up their landlord status in the move - become a tennent for 999 years.

Last edited:
Some other things that I found interesting:

Commerical activities have minimal impact on the overall finances of clubs compared to gate and prize money.

Prize Money 08-09:
Code:
[FONT="Courier New"]
[B]Club       Domestic  Europe   Total[/B]
United     £56.3m    £33.7m  £90.0m
Chelsea    £53.5m    £27.7m  £81.2m
Arsenal    £50.0m    £23.4m  £73.4m
Liverpool  £51.9m    £20.4m  £72.3m
Everton    £49.5m    £0m     £49.5m[/FONT]

Match Day Revenue 07-08:
Code:
[FONT="Courier New"]
United:    £101m
Chelsea:   £74m
Arsenal:   £94m
Liverpool: £40m
Everton:   £20.5m
[/font]

Premiership wages doubled in 2 years since last TV deal.

Spain is going to be more attractive due to their tax system and the recent introduction of the 50% band for earnings over £150,000 per annum. This and the exchange rate had an impact on us in the last window.

Bilyaletdinov's fee remains undisclosed because Lokomotiv Moscow wanted it protected, we were happy to reveal it.

Last edited:
I found it very interesting and worth investing your 33 minutes in.

I also found Cannon's comment at the end about Liverpool purchasing our old ground and moving into superior facilities hilarious lol

Other points covered were wage caps. Top teams dominance due to revenue split.

The Premier league has a 2:1 TV revenue spilt for pos 1 and pos 20, where as Spain has a spilt of 14:1. This further cements the top clubs in Spain just in the domestic competitions, allowing them to better equip themselves for Euro competitions.

Also Cannon wants UEFA to look at Real Madrids relationship with the Royalty and their ability to make debt disappear at will (not said directly, but most certainly implied)

"We spent more than the Joleon Lescott money. We have spent the Joleon Lescott money plus £5m on transfers and we have taken on an additional £3m on the wage bill."
I'm going to go out on a limb here and call him a liar.

Common sense dictates that we didn't spend the Lescott money and also struggle to understand how we have an additional £3m on the wage bill.

Lets get our calculators out.

Lescott £24m

Bily £7 to £10m
Distin £5m
Heitinga £6/7m on appearences

£10+£5m+£7m = £22m max.

So weres this extra £7m he claims we have spent on transfers?....

Elstones starting to get right on my tits.

Common sense dictates that we didn't spend the Lescott money and also struggle to understand how we have an additional £3m on the wage bill.

Lescott £24m

Bily £7 to £10m
Distin £5m

£10+£5m+£7m = £22m max.

£24million is not the official transfer fee either.

I presume because we redid contracts and bought players whose wages are more than those they replaced.

Clearly that would be the logic at but am struggling to appreciate it.

Senior Since May 2008

In
Bily
Distin
Heitinga
Fellaini
Jo
Nash
Saha

Out
Lescott
van der Meyde
Valente
Jacobsen
Castillo
Johnson
McFadden
Carsley
Wessels
Gravesen
Stubbs
Fernandes

Not sure how we've taken on an extra £3m (this year) on our wage bill.

Not to mention apparently spending £5m more than what we received for Lescott. The only way thats true is if we bent over and took it big time accepting a bid circa £15m for Lescott and kept it 'undisclosed' to save face.

To be fair GOT

Since May 08:

Also In:

Jacobsen
Castillo

And of those that left, many didn't have high salaries or in some cases were here on loan (Gravesen, Fernandes, Gardner)

Also, regarding the money received for £escott we had to give Wolves around £2M of the money we received.

So say we did get £20M for £escott. We paied £10M for Billy, £6M for Heit, £5M Distin, £2M to Wolves = £23M. Add to that any eventual fees for the youngsters and I think we will note that we have payed more than we got for £escott.

I think it's fairly safe to say that our wage budget have increased as well compared to may 08 since we have renegotiated many contracts, especially last summer. And, with the exception of £escott and possibly AJ, not lost any high-earning player.

Not so sure to be honest Wiz.

Elstone claimed we spent £5m more than the money we received for Lescott, apparently reflecting how well we support the manager...

But anyway, £5m more than we received on Lescott? If the reported fee is correct (22/24m), even after the Wolves fee I can't add that up. Maybe he let is slip that we accepted a lower bid than we imagined for Lescott? Either than or he is just blatantly lying.

Lescott £24m

Bily £7 to £10m
Distin £5m

£10+£5m+£7m = £22m max.

No mate, Bob clearly states 'We absolutely spent considerably more than the Lescott money". :oops:

What a ******* chancer this feller is.

So let's get this part straight: Elstone "respects the right of all clubs" including Everton to state a fee is "undisclosed" for a player...then he's happy to let the cat out of the bag (simple addition of say £3M of the "£5M extra cash spent this summer over and above the Lescott money" for Bilyaletdinov) to reveal the real cost of the player, just so he can claim the club aren't a selling club?

lol

I think they call this sharp practice.

Status
Not open for further replies.