Elstone on Summer transfer/Everton Finance/Ground Move etc TV Debate! etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reading Davek's posts always brighten up my day....

Which is good being that I spend most of my time in a coffin. A Davek post is like nails being hammered in, sounding like singing angels with each passing day.

That's pretty much how I see myself, tbh. ;)

I'm going to go out on a limb here and call him a liar.

Common sense dictates that we didn't spend the Lescott money and also struggle to understand how we have an additional £3m on the wage bill.

Lets get our calculators out.

Lescott £24m

Bily £7 to £10m
Distin £5m
Heitinga £6/7m on appearences

£10+£5m+£7m = £22m max.

So weres this extra £7m he claims we have spent on transfers?....

Elstones starting to get right on my tits.
Hard to disagree with you mate,all he did there with those numbers was put a positive spin on a shambles of a summer transfer wise hell we can all do that if we put our minds to it.

A Night Out In Hamburg – ToffeeBlog – News – evertonfc.com – The Official Website of Everton Football Club

Latest chapter in the Moyes/Elstone *misunderstanding*.

"I know you don’t want to hear about bike rides, Everton Two and season ticket sales - the summer transfer window was ‘where the action was’ and it was quite some summer!
In fact it started well before the summer. We met as a Board, including the Manager, in late March and discussed and agreed squad needs and transfer and wages budgets. Post Cup final, the Chairman and I began to follow up on the Manager’s targets...

Of course, concluding on Lescott, changed the Manager’s needs and his spending power. Manager, Chairman, scouts, Club Secretary, Finance Director and CEO became totally and exclusively focused on replacing Lescott and strengthening the squad....

Speaking on the Daily Post website last week, I was challenged about how much we’ve spent. Are we continuing to support the Manager to the limit? Are we looking to build on the successes of 2008/09? The answer is absolutely yes. The answer is that the Lescott proceeds, after the sell-on fee payable to Wolves, and after funding the not unsubstantial agents’ fees, transfer levies, solidarity payments and financing charges, and after picking up a significant increase in our player wage costs has been more than fully spent. In fact there’s been an ‘overspend’ by more than the original budget we set when we were trying to sign Naughton, Delph, Elm and others, in June."

Over to you Moyesie.

:oops:

"sign Naughton, Delph, Elm and others, in June."

So we were trying to sign them??

Lord knows what's going on though, there's no way we spent that on the big guys.

Bilyaletdinov-10mil (tops, heard the real fee was 8.9)
Heitinga-6mil
Distain-5mil

Pus whatever small ones.

Now if we were trying to sign ALL those players, we must have had a bit more on top, say 6-8mil.

How did we spend that!!??

So we were trying to sign them??

Lord knows what's going on though, there's no way we spent that on the big guys.

Bilyaletdinov-10mil (tops, heard the real fee was 8.9)
Heitinga-6mil
Distain-5mil

Pus whatever small ones.

Now if we were trying to sign ALL those players, we must have had a bit more on top, say 6-8mil.

How did we spend that!!??

They gloss over things and brush them under the carpet thinking we wont notice. I heard we had 10m to spend before £escott went. Where did that money go. Ah makes me mad.

Not really that complicated is it? We went after the initial targets using debt + the small profits we made the previous season. This very tight budget resulted in other clubs with deeper pockets, such as Spurs, snatching them away. Then Lescott was sold and we could buy without going further into debt and so used that money instead.

I don't know the exact figures, and until the annual report comes out there really won't be any proof either way so it doesn't seem worth getting into a knot over.

I wouldn't mind the money going to the bank, but i'd wish they'd tell us the truth.

They may well be, but it just doesn't feel right:oops:

It hasn't gone back to the bank though has it? I seem to recall it being an overdraft that was agreed earlier in the summer. We all have overdrafts. Just because the money is available it's not like it's there earning us interest :)

I wouldn't mind the money going to the bank, but i'd wish they'd tell us the truth.

They may well be, but it just doesn't feel right:oops:

Not being an ass, but they don't have to tell us. They are only obligated to the shareholders.

Remember, success isn't measured on gross spent, but on being fiscally responsible and living within our means. We are probably one of the few clubs who could come close to living off of our revenue stream (this initiative FIFA/UEFA are trying to implement).

Fact is we have done alright in the transfer market this summer. Not in the fashion any of us would have wanted, but it could have gone a LOT worse.

Seems to me this feller Elstone wants it both ways: he wants the freedom to say done deals will be 'undisclosed', but takes the hump and wants the right of reply (twice now) when others (including the manager) question exactly what's been spent this summer, and doubt him over his vague assurances about 'initial transfer budgets' as opposed to what looks to be the sell-to-buy reality.

I think the saying is: 'He doth protest too much'. :dodgy:

Last edited:
efc__1233253143_elstone_robert290109.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.