Discussion & help on depression & mental health related issues

Haha, I can't lie, ..

One of my sister's been suffering from anxiety on and off for three or four years and was fairly recently asked to list five good things in her life, so as well as "fixing what's wrong" they're working on "building on what's strong", which sounds dead cheesy, but seems to be helping.
If it helps then it's a good thing.

well sat with proper footy is upon us again. one added bonus for me is, if things start going wrong with the mightyish blues is I can up my morphine dosage and maybe things won't seem so bad lol.
we havn't had music for a while and reading through all these posts 1 thing that seems to prevail through most of them is lonliness so without intending any offense I give you;

Apologies if you know this already, but there are support groups across the country whose sole purpose is to support the survivors of " historical abuse ". They were set up after the various scandals across the country, mainly in children's homes.
I'm not medically qualified, so I don't know if it's PTSD, but from what you've posted there, it has psychologically scarred you and needs proper in depth counselling. The Police also should have provided you with support or at the very least put you in touch with people who could point you in the right direction ?.

You haven't rambled at all and I can't begin to think how hard it was for you to post that mate. Incredibly brave and as others have said, hopefully the first steps to getting yourself better permanently.

Have a look at this forum too - Mentalhealtforum.org. NHS run and the community on there are wonderful in supporting each other and providing practical advice. There are threads on there with deal specifically with what what happened to you.

Thank you for your reply. When it was reported to the police I was taken to a suite and they only wanted to know the details and didn't offer any help with counselling. I don't know if it was because it happened years before and hadn't reported it at the time.

It was really difficult posting it on here, the thought of speaking about it face to face with someone makes me physically sick, but I really need to try and move on from it as it affects every part of my life. I barely leave the house or see anyone apart from my husband, daughter and my dogs, I have what I describe as trigger senses that happen quite regularly that give me panic attacks.

I only got married last September and my husband has been fantastic, but there is nothing sexual about our relationship for quite some time which I worry that he will get fed up and leave even though he doesn't say there is a problem.

Once again I thank you for taking the time trying to help, it is very much appreciated and I will look into the mentalhealthforum.org.

Thank you for your reply. When it was reported to the police I was taken to a suite and they only wanted to know the details and didn't offer any help with counselling. I don't know if it was because it happened years before and hadn't reported it at the time.

It was really difficult posting it on here, the thought of speaking about it face to face with someone makes me physically sick, but I really need to try and move on from it as it affects every part of my life. I barely leave the house or see anyone apart from my husband, daughter and my dogs, I have what I describe as trigger senses that happen quite regularly that give me panic attacks.

I only got married last September and my husband has been fantastic, but there is nothing sexual about our relationship for quite some time which I worry that he will get fed up and leave even though he doesn't say there is a problem.

Once again I thank you for taking the time trying to help, it is very much appreciated and I will look into the mentalhealthforum.org.
You've taken the first step in here opening up and you should be proud of your strength. You've got a great bloke, a daughter and dogs which will bring you joy in your life. I hope you get to the stage where you can appreciate what you have. Keep seeking professional help and posting in here. xx

Another case of the Saturday blues! Hoping Everton can make things a lot better :) not sure what it is really.. just a niggling feeling of sadness under everything that I am trying to keep myself busy with! I had this last Saturday when I was sat there thinking 'well what now?'. It's similar but I am less panicky over ending the relationship and the consequences of it. I guess I just feel like a spare part really... Feel like I am a hindrance having come back home and like I am more answerable to people... Like I have lost some freedom, even though I've gained freedom in so many other ways. I have lots of plans and cool people around me with similar interests etc but I just keep thinking is this just all temporary and one day I'll just be on my own and having a breakdown in my bedroom at my mum and dad's? All very premature and jumping too far ahead... But as I'm sure a lot of you understand, it's a normal reaction to jump ahead under circumstances like this. Overall, I feel as though I have made the right decision... It's just still fresh and surreal. I have a lot of life left to live and a lot of people to meet/experiences to go through... Sometimes it just doesn't feel that way and you feel like you want/need all the answers right here, right now. Thanks for listening :)

I'm in in a place in my mind now where I think that I've gone as far as I can with the counselling.

I've been going for a while, and I'm still as massively depressed now as I was before it.

I'm 23 years old and the thought of having to live for another 50+ years this way seems like hell.

Do you ever have times of feeling brighter and has the counselling ever worked? Maybe you could try a different counsellor/different method of treatment?

Do you ever have times of feeling brighter and has the counselling ever worked? Maybe you could try a different counsellor/different method of treatment?
Never.

My counsellor is a really lovely woman, I don't see how I could do better.

It is me as a person.

I have a lot of things going for me, but it's like it doesn't even matter. Anything that is good will only ever be short lived. Been this way since I was about 15.

Never.

My counsellor is a really lovely woman, I don't see how I could do better.

It is me as a person.

I have a lot of things going for me, but it's like it doesn't even matter. Anything that is good will only ever be short lived. Been this way since I was about 15.

Can you ever focus on the positives like the things going for you or does negativity take over? I have trouble myself with that. I always find the negative and approach things with skepticism etc.

You saying it's all down to how you are as a person is a lot of pressure to put on yourself... but again, I understand and relate. How you are as a person is just that, it's you, and I am sure many people love you and see good things in you. I am not sure what your circumstances are etc but maybe you just haven't found people/situations that make you feel like it's ok to be who you are.

I'm in in a place in my mind now where I think that I've gone as far as I can with the counselling.

I've been going for a while, and I'm still as massively depressed now as I was before it.

I'm 23 years old and the thought of having to live for another 50+ years this way seems like hell.
I know it may very much feel that way but to bring a bit of science into it; it's highly unlikely that you would be depressed for the rest of you life.

Instead what you're showing is "all or nothing thinking" which is a symptom of your depression, but certainly not an affirmation.

Well done on trying for help. But there's help in many forms, like for instance CBT, medication, mindfulness, hypnotherapy, cardio exercise, strength exercises, a period of travel, a helpful CD or book.

It may be one of them, it may be a combination of them, it may be something not listed there but there will be a day when you feel much better than you do now and probably sooner than you think.

Think of that day and aspire for it, then make a list and go and strive for it. When you do have a voice telling you you'll never find it then identify it as your disease.

A disease however that can and will be beaten. Never stop believing that even if your mind tells you other.

I know it may very much feel that way but to bring a bit of science into it; it's highly unlikely that you would be depressed for the rest of you life.

Instead what you're showing is "all or nothing thinking" which is a symptom of your depression, but certainly not an affirmation.

Well done on trying for help. But there's help in many forms, like for instance CBT, medication, mindfulness, hypnotherapy, cardio exercise, strength exercises, a period of travel, a helpful CD or book.

It may be one of them, it may be a combination of them, it may be something not listed there but there will be a day when you feel much better than you do now and probably sooner than you think.

Think of that day and aspire for it, then make a list and go and strive for it. When you do have a voice telling you you'll never find it then identify it as your disease.

A disease however that can and will be beaten. Never stop believing that even if your mind tells you other.
Thanks mate.