Coldest ground in England

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fair F***s to stoke. I hate all this football style snobbery. They have established themselves as a top flight side and one that no one relishes playing. They have good support. Maybe compare them to Swansea after Swansea have been in the top flight for a few more years. And as for the money, I can only dream of having owners prepared to invest in the club.

Fair enough, then swap Swansea for Wigan.

They finished one place above Wigan last season, who've spent far less than they have and have also been in the league a fair while. No excuse for a team to be finishing 14th in the table after spending at least ten million for the past five years. I was shocked they had spent so much.

As AF pointed out they have the financial strength to play much better football than they do, I don't understand why the fans aren't up in arms.

Fair enough, then swap Swansea for Wigan.

They finished one place above Wigan last season, who've spent far less than they have and have also been in the league a fair while. No excuse for a team to be finishing 14th in the table after spending at least ten million for the past five years. I was shocked they had spent so much.

As AF pointed out they have the financial strength to play much better football than they do, I don't understand why the fans aren't up in arms.

I take the Wigan point but I'd imagine the Stoke fans are quite happy with their lot, like the OP says, there seems to be a move towards buying footballing footballers. Its hard to get enthusiastic about Wigan when the people of Wigan don't seem too bothered. At least with Stoke you get a stadium full of fans who appreciate the efforts of their team, manager and owners. Far more palatable than half the top flight clubs as far as I'm concerned.

It slightly annoys me the way poncey football is considered superior to physical football. The two teams are playing under the same rules, and it is the team who scores the most goals after 90minutes which is the best footballing side, end of.

You don't get any extra points for playing poncey football, and if you are unable to score more than a physical footballing side then I'm afraid you aren't better at football than they are, and if they happen to score more goals than you, then I'm afraid they are better at playing football than their opposition.
Who plays this football in your opinion?

Tough to thrown a club under the bus for the way they play, I mean, it doesn't really matter to me one bit. I'd never support that club, but that's a different question.

The coldest I've ever been in a stadium is Heinz Field in Pittsburgh. It was 5 degrees F on a Thursday night, the open end of the stadium shown is right in front of a large open water area where three rivers meet. Long story short, we were losing the game and decided to leave with 30 minutes left, watch the rest in a hotel bar. I can still feel how cold I was.

250px-Heinz_Field.jpg

I remember a trip to the City Ground on New Year's Day early 90s. That was bloody cold. Though I probably remember it more for the circumstances. We got lost and didn't arrive till half time. The radio in the car said we were 1-0 up. Turned out we were 1-0 down. Ended up 2-0 to Forest. Freezing.

All I'm saying is is that kind of football doesn't really work. They've never finished higher than 11th under Pulis.

Cant believe I'm defending Stoke so much. I agree that they wont get much higher playing this style but after watching team after team come up and go straight back down, they found a way to consolidate top flight football. You can't change a teams style over night, I'm sure Pulis is aware that they will have to play a bit more football if they want Europe.

I once went to Inverness CT one February, that was pretty cold. I've also been to Goodison to watch the reserves play Forest reserves the only highlight was cheering Jason Lee, that was f***ing freezing.

When Stoke first came up under Pullis and everything was about the Rory throw in I had nothing but admiration for it, If a guy can take a throw in with the such power and accuracy that is causes mayhem why is it so different to Beckham or who ever taking free kicks, corners etc with the same outcome? Also they were good to watch, it was fast, all heart and what ever it lacked in ability made up for in passion. Stoke on the TV would always have the entrainment factor.

However the problem for me is that it hasn't evolved one bit, if anything its gone backward. Last year at Goodison was one of the dullest drab games of football I'd ever witnessed and I fully accept that as the home team its up to us to overcome it but once Stoke went 1-0 it was just about stopping Everton at all costs, and yes Mr Pullis that includes your goalkeeper rolling around like he's been shot and man mountains like Robert Huth falling over in 50/50's to waste time.

If a large proportion of Everton fans are ecstatic with their 7th place trophy, then it's not a shock to hear that Stoke are ecstatic with their 11th place trophy.

I know they have spent more money, but still, 11th place trophies are the stuff of dreams for a club like Stoke.

If a large proportion of Everton fans are ecstatic with their 7th place trophy, then it's not a shock to hear that Stoke are ecstatic with their 11th place trophy.

I know they have spent more money, but still, 11th place trophies are the stuff of dreams for a club like Stoke.

Spot on lad. It's like reading RAWK on here sometimes........

Cant believe I'm defending Stoke so much. I agree that they wont get much higher playing this style but after watching team after team come up and go straight back down, they found a way to consolidate top flight football. You can't change a teams style over night, I'm sure Pulis is aware that they will have to play a bit more football if they want Europe.

To be fair, Pulis has been there since 2006 and has been buying lots of players since 2008. He's had plenty of time. Bear in mind that we went from being bottom half of the table with Smith to Europe in a few seasons with Moyes and lot a less money spent.

I'm not even that fussed that they play the kind of football they do, it's the fact they play that way when they've got the financial platform to be so much better. Since the summer of 2008 they've bought fourteen players who cost over £3m each, and some more cheap buys on top of that. They've practically bought a whole new squad but they play in practically the same way.

I don't hate Stoke, i just think they're a bit of a joke.

Hello chaps,

Five years since I first posted on here and we've really managed to get up peoples noses and consolidate our place within the Premier League.

I'm looking forward to the weekend as I always look forward to the game versus Everton.

Tip for the weekend - put three layers of everything on and you'll still be cold. The Brit is without a doubt the coldest ground in England and it's looking pretty nippy this Saturday.

Which camp are you guys in? The one that says Stoke are an embarassment to football and the sooner we're relegated the better or the one that actually admires the team for their hard work and organisation?

We've certainly devided opinion and seem to be a regular target for likes of Talksport but I honestly am very proud of our achievements and couldn't give a toss if we're deem to play the 'wrong' way.

Safe journey to all those travelling at the weekend and let's hope for goals as I can see this being very tight 0-0 1-0 or 0-1

Up the potters!

Welcome mate,

TBH I think skill and guile should always win over strength and effort. If it doesn't your own players need to look at themselves.

The only thing I dont get is why your all still buzzing with that style after 5 years? It's hardly the beautiful game is it.

Status
Not open for further replies.