Coldest ground in England

Status
Not open for further replies.
There has never or never will be a colder ground than Emley before they moved to Wakefield, on top of a hill and completely open to the elements on all sides. That 0-0 in January that I went to watch was easily the coldest I have ever been.

On the other debate, I have nothing against the way Stoke play. Football is a results business and they probably come between how Blackburn played under Allardyce (which was ridiculous) and the way we play by utilising Fellaini while also looking to work the ball on the floor down the flanks.

1988 newcastle away was the coldest i can remember watching a game ,there were lads getting off after 20 mins ,it was fuken baltic ,and we got beat 2.0

It slightly annoys me the way poncey football is considered superior to physical football. The two teams are playing under the same rules, and it is the team who scores the most goals after 90minutes which is the best footballing side, end of.

You don't get any extra points for playing poncey football, and if you are unable to score more than a physical footballing side then I'm afraid you aren't better at football than they are, and if they happen to score more goals than you, then I'm afraid they are better at playing football than their opposition.

North east grounds are the coldest imo.

I don't mind Stoke got great home support that back their team, their style of play is not everyones cup of tea. But they have to play to their strengths, i remember Wenger complaining and it annoyed me there hardly going to try and pass it round them! Wouldnt fancy paying to watch it every week but good luck to them.

stoke play to there strengths good luck to them, id sooner watch them than say the red****e playing twenty odd passes and going no were, They seem to be playing a bit more football this season the times i have seen them this season via the widemen.ps good shout about oldham being coldest and the old bolton ground both baltic in the winter

I respect Stoke, they are a very well run club and play a big part in the community of Stoke. To me they stand as an example of how football clubs should be run, opposed to the Man Citys, Chelseas of the world. Pulis is a no nonsense pragmatist who does what is right for his club and supporters. In many ways Everton and Stoke stand for similar values in terms of the way clubs should be run.

Their style of football is never going to win them admiring glances from the neutral or be celebrated by football pundits but I love seeing a side like Stoke bully Arsenal or City and hearing a manager bleating about how it's so unfair. Stoke have to compete on terms that give their side the best chance of winning, sure Swansea and West Brom are playing nice football right now and the testament for that will be if they are still gracing the Premiership 3 seasons from now. I loved watching Blackpool in the Premiership, it didn't make it good for their club (who have now lost their manager to a team he feels has better resources).

Not really seen enough of them to make a judgement of their style of play....is it really that anti football?

Lived there for a while so I do have a tiny soft-spot for Stoke. Thought it'd be great going to watch us play them at goodison, until I got there and fumed for 90 minutes.

Basically, don't care how football is played as it's a results game and Stoke get results so I like that. Except when you play Everton.

edit: He is right about it being f'in cold there too.

Not really seen enough of them to make a judgement of their style of play....is it really that anti football?

The ball spends very little time in play whenever I've watched them. Out of a ninety minute game, at least sixty minutes are spent with the ball going out of touch and then being wiped by a towel five or six times before being thrown straight out of play on the other side and then it's all repeated again.

Torn on this

When you talk about football as a sport, I want to be entertained. I enjoy watching it regardless of whether Everton are playing or not. For that reason, I rarely watch Stoke because they do not play particularly entertaining football. I lay the blame for this squarely at Pulis's feet and Stoke are difficult to like because of this. It's not just the long ball stuff, it's the desperately cynical stuff as well.

Having said that, football as a supporter is all about getting results. I couldn't give a toss if Everton play the most negative football in the history of the sport as long as we win. It's probably very hypocritical of me to think the way I've just suggested above when I know that I wouldn't have a problem with us doing the same thing if it guaranteed better results.

From the POV of enjoying the spectacle of football, I dislike Stoke I'm afraid. From the perspective of a fan of a club, I have no problem with them at all.

But it's alright saying Stoke get the results. They don't.

They don't win trophies, they don't finish in the top half of the Pl. They've spent the third most money of any Pl side in the last five years (more than villa, more than tottenham, more than arsenal, more than liverpool, more than Man U). I'd expect them to finish higher than 13th.

The reason they don't is that they're cowardly wimps who are so scared of relagation they don't actually try and win games.

Status
Not open for further replies.